Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: manual transmission rebuild info

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Re: manual transmission identification / rebuild kit compatibility

yeah I stand corrected.........having come to the realization that my experience was with the auto tranny about an hour after I posted.....still those with the auto 86-89 would be wise to grab an 84-85 drive shaft for future drive shaft happiness

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, if you can find one, that's a good way to go. A new Powertrain Industries drive shaft is another good (and more available) way to go. Here's an article about drive lines:
    http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...s-and-u-joints

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van (passenger/cargo)

i am not entirely positive, but from the research that I have been doing it seems that some of the G-series transmissions (G53 included) came with a 20mm input shaft (or output? also found conflicting information on which one it is...) and some came with a 23mm shaft. this conflicts with bearings, gears, syncros... lots of stuff I believe? from checking different transmission parts dealers it seems that there is no concrete information on identifying which is in each vehicle without actually pulling the transmission and measuring yourself. but alas, my educated theory would be that the early models came with 20mm and later came with 23mm (both are indicated G53 transmissions). If it's the input shaft then and early model clutch would probably be fine and make it work (early transmission on later model van). If it's the output shaft then the early drive shaft would be the ticket (early transmission on later van) or vice versa.... get the picture?

I found a list of transmissions around the country at different salvage yards using Car-part.com called up each one, I have a few to choose from! all going for roughly $4-500 freight included. I don't think these are very hot ticket items... most of the yards said that they are old items and have been on the shelf for a while.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 Toy Van

Re: 5 speed transmission interchange?

Hi Tim and all others.
    I've tried the search and seen a few questions just like this one but mine is reverse. I'd like to put a G53 from a 4wd that I found on ebay in a 2wd van. Not sure what if anything I'd be missing as in the picture with the listing there is no housing over what I think is the output shaft... is it easy enough to take that part from my 2wd transmission? Any conversion parts needed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1989-T...kAAOSwruxbJVTR

I'm really on a tight crunch to get this van working before I lose my job (and since I lived in it I need my home back too!).

I'd like to order this asap if I can!

Thanks,
    Tom

edit: the part I'm confused on. "No, unfortunately the cases and tail shafts are not interchangeable. They may share the same parent numbers but the last 5 digits are not the same (not shown in the diagrams above). It's a big job to swap this stuff over, but if you have a bad 4wd manual transmission with a good case and tail shaft, you can swap over the other internal parts (gears syncros, etc) from a good 2wd transmission. Tim"

All The guy on ebay told me was "if you have a 2WD situation you can bolt up the housing." Which sounds like he thinks it will work in my 2wd van but I trust only TVT to show me the light.
    Last edited by Wizardtom; 09-24-2018 at 04:51 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

You could most likely use internals from the 4wd transmission to repair your 2wd transmission, but it would be a big job. Personally I would hold out for a complete 2wd transmission. Here's a couple of used ones on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-T...gAAOSwsB9boCag

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Tran...IAAOSwjbpbgFPD

IMO these are outrageously priced, and condition is perhaps a bit questionable, but IMO still a better option than trying to make something work that wasn't intended. If you had a shop, time, special tools, and mechanical experience on transmissions, then it might be different. You might also check with those foreign engine places as they sometimes have transmissions too. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 Toy Van

Good find. Wonder why those didn't come up on my search. That's half the price of the one I found (though had 5 year warranty). Thank you for clarifying that for me. Maybe it's time I study transmissions and become good at that work heh. In my experience there is nothing I cannot learn... and that's why we love these vans anyhow. I am not going to get rid of it until I'm quite defeated.