Thread: Code 4

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

Code 4

I broke my water temp sensor while changing the cap and rotor ... ...meanwhile, I got a check engine light with codes 4 and 5 ... I replaced the broken sensor with one from Rock Auto and cleared the codes... but -the check engine lite is still on , and now I still get a code 4 .... I've had the van for 13 years with NO check engine lites-- QUESTION ... could the new sensor be bad ??? ( If it matters, my temp. guage is working properly...does the guage run off of that sensor??) thanks !! - Phil

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Code 4

Lots of threads on this subject. I did a quick search and found this one: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...Codes-4-and-11

The gauge sender & the ECU temp sensor are 2 different things. The one you need to clear code 4 is the ECU sensor shown in that thread. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Lots of threads on this subject. I did a quick search and found this one: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...Codes-4-and-11

The gauge sender & the ECU temp sensor are 2 different things. The one you need to clear code 4 is the ECU sensor shown in that thread. Good luck. Tim

thanks ... I'll start by jiggling the plug on and off on the ECU temp sensor ... I'll run it awhile, then clear it and look for codes again ... --QUESTION ... If the ECU clears up and has no codes, will the check engine light turn off by itself ?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Once a code is recorded it will remain until cleared. To clear you must pull the EFI fuse or disconnect the battery for a minimum of 15 seconds.