Thread: So much exhaust -- long story made short

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

Angry So much exhaust -- long story made short

First I will tell the story as the short version:

During a drive from coast to coast, (I drove the van from California to New York), there was a flash flood in Baltimore. Someone (not I) drove the van into some very high water. Water was sucked up into the engine, as the air filter was wet. After replacing the starter, the van drives again (hallelujah!) However, now I am getting very poor gas mileage which I believe is linked (obviously) the water and specifically the fact that there is so much exhaust coming from the tailpipe. When I slow down, and the wind is blowing, I can smell so much exhaust. Is there a chance that water is in the gas tank, or something of the like? Any insight into getting my great gas mileage back is incredibly appreciated!

Full story:

Traveling with a couple of friends to New York (eventually Montreal and Toronto), and one "friend" in particular takes the van out while we are in Baltimore, MD. She goes missing for hours. We are getting around the city in any way we can, looking for her and the van. Police reports are being made. She is not answering her phone at all or contacting us in any way. She calls and we find her at some not-so-great house where she is intoxicated and the van is parked in front of a store in a not-so-great part of town. The floor of the van is soaked, it doesn't start. I found a kind mechanic and he replaced the starter and got it running. But since then, the smell of exhaust has been incredible, and you can see if at night when headlights are behind me. The worst part is that during the trip, with proper driving, I would get almost 28 miles to the gallon, and now just going around town it is horrible gas mileage. I would really appreciate any help

Thank you!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: So much exhaust -- long story made short

Several things can be affected when you expose a vehicle to deep water. Since it runs it sounds like you got lucky and she didn't hydrolock the engine (water in your cylinders can have some very nasty results). Has oil consumption increased? Any time a vehicle is exposed like this I would want to replace all the fluids (except maybe the coolant), and would want to grease every spot that takes it (grease going in will force any trapped water out).

As for your exhaust smell and poor mileage, I would start out by checking trouble codes. If the o2 sensor failed the ECU will go into a rich default mode and the van will run dirty.

My only other recommendation would be to leave the "friend" behind to find her own way to New York. . Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

You may also want to take a close look at the ext manifold, hot cast iron and cold water don't mix well either.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Several things can be affected when you expose a vehicle to deep water. Since it runs it sounds like you got lucky and she didn't hydraulic the engine (water in your cylinders can have some very nasty results). Has oil consumption increased? Any time a vehicle is exposed like this I would want to replace all the fluids (except maybe the coolant), and would want to grease every spot that takes it (grease going in will force any trapped water out).

As for your exhaust smell and poor mileage, I would start out by checking trouble codes. If the o2 sensor failed the ECU will go into a rich default mode and the van will run dirty.

My only other recommendation would be to leave the "friend" behind to find her own way to New York. . Tim
    Hi Tim! Thank you so very much for your reply and I apologize for being late on mine. When you asked "Has oil consumption increased," how exactly would I be able to tell if it has?

Also, what exactly are the trouble codes and how do I check them? If my o2 sensor is failing, can I replace it, or is that where I should start? Thank you so very much again!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    You may also want to take a close look at the ext manifold, hot cast iron and cold water don't mix well either.
    I am now browsing Wikipedia to learn what an exhaust manifold is and does. Thank you for your suggestion!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaVanNut View Post
    Hi Tim! Thank you so very much for your reply and I apologize for being late on mine. When you asked "Has oil consumption increased," how exactly would I be able to tell if it has?

Also, what exactly are the trouble codes and how do I check them? If my o2 sensor is failing, can I replace it, or is that where I should start? Thank you so very much again!!
    If it used a quart of oil every 1,000 miles before, but now it's down to a quart every 500 miles, that would be an increase in oil consumption. You might not be able to tell right away, but in time it would become obvious. If the exhaust smoke is blue and smells like burning oil, then that's also an indication of an oil control problem. If the exhaust is more black and burns your eyes, then that's an indication of a rich running condition. Here's an article that explains how to read codes: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...vice-Connector.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

If it used a quart of oil every 1,000 miles before, but now it's down to a quart every 500 miles, that would be an increase in oil consumption. You might not be able to tell right away, but in time it would become obvious. If the exhaust smoke is blue and smells like burning oil, then that's also an indication of an oil control problem. If the exhaust is more black and burns your eyes, then that's an indication of a rich running condition. Here's an article that explains how to read codes: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...vice-Connector.
    Thanks again Tim!

**UPDATE: (I thought I should put this here since it's all a part of the same problem)
    I haven't had a chance to check the codes, but, driving it around more, I have noticed a few things.
    1. It is loud now while idling in park. Almost as if the muffler was removed -- could the muffler have been damaged in the deep water, and could that have an affect on gas mileage/bad smell?
    2. If you put your hand near the exhaust pipe, you can feel a pulse, and it is pulse-y. You can feel the exhaust pumping out and the van almost sounds like its revving (but much more quietly) -- it's like a pulse sound and push of air from the exhaust pipe.
    3. When climbing a hill, when the van shifts (up?) to a higher gear to climb, the revs get higher, BUT, the speed drops. It's incredibly strange. It's revving and still accelerating, but less than in its previous gear. I can hear it shift gear and really start getting up there, but I watch as it falls from 50MPH to about a constant of 45 or 42MPH.
    4. Sometimes while accelerating it will sputter a bit, almost like the gas is being cut on and off.

Any more thoughts are TRULY appreciated. Thank you very kindly!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Maybe the catalytic converter is plugged up but maybe there's an exhaust leak ahead of it big enough to allow the engine to run anyway? I don't know, too many variables. You're going to need to check the things we already talked about so we know what direction to recommend next. Checking codes can be done with about as much effort as it takes to post a response..........just do it. You may also want to take the van to a shop that does exhaust work. Exhaust shops likely wouldn't replace a cracked manifold, but they could replace everything from that point back (including the cat). Exhaust work isn't as expensive as most people think. Even with a cat you'd probably be under $300. If your exhaust manifold is cracked (very likely), that's another story. These are a PITA to replace on the van. If you're paying a shop to do the work, a reasonable expectation would be around $1,000. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Maybe the catalytic converter is plugged up but maybe there's an exhaust leak ahead of it big enough to allow the engine to run anyway? I don't know, too many variables. You're going to need to check the things we already talked about so we know what direction to recommend next. Checking codes can be done with about as much effort as it takes to post a response..........just do it. You may also want to take the van to a shop that does exhaust work. Exhaust shops likely wouldn't replace a cracked manifold, but they could replace everything from that point back (including the cat). Exhaust work isn't as expensive as most people think. Even with a cat you'd probably be under $300. If your exhaust manifold is cracked (very likely), that's another story. These are a PITA to replace on the van. If you're paying a shop to do the work, a reasonable expectation would be around $1,000. Tim
    You are absolutely right Tim. I have been trying to check the codes. When I opened the link you provided about reading codes, it appeared as if the place to check was behind the driver's side seat -- is that correct? (My seat was stuck and I just got it moving again). If it is, I am a bit confused because I looked behind the driver's side seat and the carpeting flap does not go up behind it in my van ('85 automatic).

Secondly, is there a post on how to change, or even better "flush out" transmission fluid (and then replace it)?

Thank you again, I can't wait to have my van up and running!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks Tim, a lot. I understand now the transmission fluid situation. My only question still, and I apologize if I am missing a lug nut in my brain, but I can't seem to determine how to get to check the codes. It seems as if it's behind the driver's side seat but behind mine it is bolted and the carpet does not come up: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...vice-Connector

I'm sorry, but does anyone know where exactly this is located on the van?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

TVN - while the connector is "technically" behind the drivers seat, you have to lift the hood to get to it.

Its above the air filter housing, often has a black rubber cap over the connector, it's just a 2 wire round plug (either yellow or green, can't remember which).

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    TVN - while the connector is "technically" behind the drivers seat, you have to lift the hood to get to it.

Its above the air filter housing, often has a black rubber cap over the connector, it's just a 2 wire round plug (either yellow or green, can't remember which).
    Thanks a lot!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thank you all so much for your help!

I have checked the trouble code! I believe I have a 5-5. To be certain, I snapped a video to eliminate any confusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfHBZHhW91M

5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, right? I think it is this:

Also, to Tim: I believe you are right that oil is being consumed. Also, I am still about 2,000 miles away from an oil change, but the oil is totally and completely black at the moment. If this is insight into the van at all, I'd love to know as well.

Thank you all so very much

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Having a bad o2 sensor will cause the ECU to go into a default mode and this will make the van run rich. Running rich will make the fuel economy bad & will make the exhaust stink. If the van is burning oil, this can also make the exhaust stink. Not any easy way to make the van stop burning oil, but replacing a bad o2 sensor is pretty easy and that should make a big difference. Here's a link to the one you want: http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-1056...words=234-1056

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Having a bad o2 sensor will cause the ECU to go into a default mode and this will make the van run rich. Running rich will make the fuel economy bad & will make the exhaust stink. If the van is burning oil, this can also make the exhaust stink. Not any easy way to make the van stop burning oil, but replacing a bad o2 sensor is pretty easy and that should make a big difference. Here's a link to the one you want: http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-1056...words=234-1056
    You are the greatest, Tim! I am ordering this now.

2 questions: 1. Is there a thread on how to replace to o2 sensor? If so, would you mind linking me to it?

2. Even though it might be difficult, do you know of any ways to make the van not burn oil? It wasn't burning oil before the water incident mentioned up above. Just curious, as I really would like to get the van back into tip top shape!

Thanks again!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The o2 sensor has just 2 bolts holding it to the exhaust manifold. If one or both of these break it can be a PITA, but otherwise it's easy. How much oil does it burn? A quart every 500 miles?...........every 1,000? If it's burning less than a quart every 500 miles don't worry about it. Just add as necessary and you should be good. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

The o2 sensor has just 2 bolts holding it to the exhaust manifold. If one or both of these break it can be a PITA, but otherwise it's easy. How much oil does it burn? A quart every 500 miles?...........every 1,000? If it's burning less than a quart every 500 miles don't worry about it. Just add as necessary and you should be good. Tim
    Got it, thanks a ton Tim! I believe it's around a quart every 800 or so, but, does this fact change anythibg?: The oil is pitch black after only 1,000 miles? This is scaring me.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

TVN - Don't concern yourself too much with the condition of oil burning and turning black UNTIL after you replace the O2 sensor.
    Running excessively rich can wash down the cylinder walls, thin the oil and cause blow-by (the cause of the blackened oil).
    Replace the sensor, verify no other codes, do a crankcase flush with something like Seafoam or other internal engine cleaner and give it a fresh oil and filter, then drive and monitor.
    You may well find that life returns to near normal.