Thread: Aftermarket Tie Rod Ends and Idler Arm

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Aftermarket Tie Rod Ends and Idler Arm

Spouse's 1985 DLX has been diagnosed as needing a new Idler Arm and Tie Rod Ends. I don't do steering (yet), but he got a second opinion (with no monetary interest involved) who concurred.

Idler Arm is NLA from Toyota and I'm not keen to put one on from a parts van of dubious history, even the rust-free ones. Tie Rod Ends are still available but $70+ each. I did find aftermarket options for both from Rock Auto. My question is whether anyone has experience with these brands (good or bad) specifically in these applications before I order.

Idler Arm options — Moog, Mevotech, Beck-Arnley, Raybestos, ACDelco

Tie Rod End options — Beck-Arnley, Mevotech, Raybestos, ACDelco

Thanks for any input!

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Aftermarket Tie Rod Ends and Idler Arm

I have not purchased these specific parts before, but have purchased Moog suspension parts for other applications and felt they were of good quality. I've had mixed luck with Beck Arnley depending on the type of part. I used Beck Arnley ball joints before and was not impressed with durability (lower right failed miserably after only a couple years...........the original Toyota part was in better shape after 25 years of service). Could have been a fluke, but this was my 1st (and last) time using Beck Arnley ball joints.

Not sure about Mevotech, but I've had pretty good luck with AC Delco and Raybestos parts.

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

Thanks for any input!

Gwen

I'd trust all of them, but never heard of "movotech?" Find out where they are made, if possible...(I found lower ball joints from Japan with the boxes covered in dust at a local auto store!) Almost any decent outer tie rod should last a long time...buy a "pickle fork" and install them yourself--pretty straightforeward. (then get alignment) --- good luck

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I went with OEM outer tie rod and AM inner by Import direct on my 4x4 van but I think I'll be doing AM for the driver side using ACDELCO, it'll be half the price and hopefully not half the quality.

Gwen let us know what you go with please thx!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    Spouse's 1985 DLX has been diagnosed as needing a new Idler Arm and Tie Rod Ends. I don't do steering (yet), but he got a second opinion (with no monetary interest involved) who concurred.

Idler Arm is NLA from Toyota and I'm not keen to put one on from a parts van of dubious history, even the rust-free ones. Tie Rod Ends are still available but $70+ each. I did find aftermarket options for both from Rock Auto. My question is whether anyone has experience with these brands (good or bad) specifically in these applications before I order.

Idler Arm options — Moog, Mevotech, Beck-Arnley, Raybestos, ACDelco

Tie Rod End options — Beck-Arnley, Mevotech, Raybestos, ACDelco

Thanks for any input!

Gwen
    Have used Beck Arnley idler narm. Works well

Have used tie rod ends from Beck Arnley, TRW, Moog, and Raybestos. The tie rod sleeves should also be purchased, but you may have to transfer the clip.
    They are inexpensive and easy to replace. I bought them all from Rock Auto over the years. Surprisingly the Moog lasted the least.

John

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa DX

Hi John,

You may not still be around but I just wanted to comment on Moog lasting the least for your tie rod ends. I replaced my first set of inner tie rod ends on my van after 380000 miles. I used Moog because I thought they would last. After 20000 miles the Moog are already toast. That's surprising to me.
    Last edited by samstrader; 11-19-2023 at 12:44 PM.

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

I have been having better luck on various vehicles by using Rock Auto's least expensive parts lately {quality name-parts that are on closeout} ... also heard a lot of very poor moog stories in the last few years. However, the front upper control arms that were a success were a step or two up on their price listings (AC Delco).
    Last edited by llamavan; 11-19-2023 at 09:06 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa DX

Thanks for your reply Tan Van,

I'm not going to buy Moog parts anymore. I always thought they were good.

I have been buying closeout items from Rock Auto just like you just to have around since some of the closeout items are so cheap. I got a set of ignition wires a couple of years ago for $2.00 and they were the highest quality wires I have ever bought for any car. I also just bought a closeout starter with no core charge for $49.00.

I will get a warranty cash refund on the Moog inner tie rod ends I bought since Rock Auto doesn't carry them anymore and can't replace them. They had a lifetime warranty. I'm buying the Delphi Technology tie rods this time and hope I have good luck with them.

It is so frustrating to me to buy parts that are junk. I don't like to have to do a job twice or three times because I can't find good parts and since OEM Genuine Toyota parts are mostly not available now, it is getting real hard to find good parts.