Thread: Injector #&$%^ed?????

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Injector #&$%^ed?????

So I am a dumbass and dropped and dropped this injector while installing it.

Name:  injector.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  47.6 KB

If it was one that went into the cylinder, i would replace it with out a doubt.

I checked spray pattern. And it loos like all the rest.

My question is what is the purpose of the protective coating???

I think there is enough of it left that it will still seal and not create a vacuum leak.
    I don't see possibility of a fire.

Anyone else think its usable?

I cant be the first one to have done this.

There are no vans near me in junk yards. What other cars can i get an injector from????

Thanks!!!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Injector #&$%^ed?????

That part is called a pintle cap and it's easily replaced (by somebody with the right parts and tools). Any time you have your injectors out it's just a good idea to take them to an injector shop for servicing. I'm not sure about Reno, but here we have Dr. Injector. Their service costs $20 per injector. For that they will test and document patterns, flow rates, and leak test. Next they ultrasonically clean them, retest, & document. Assuming they pass, they will also replace the pintle caps, o-rings, and insulators. If you don't have a Dr Injector locally you can always send them by mail (funny because I just sent a set to him this morning). He will work his magic, then call for credit card info, then send them back. Here's a link to a thread where this is discussed: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...=4824#post4824. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

But tell them to leave the OEM injector screens.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by djshimon View Post
    But tell them to leave the OEM injector screens.
    Yes, good point. I wasn't too thrilled with the screens they put in my last set. With the set I just sent them for servicing I included a new set of Bosch stainless steel screens (like originals) with a note to use them instead of the plastic crap they would otherwise put in there. The original style have more surface area and I think the mesh is slightly bigger. If your tank/fuel system is clean it probably doesn't matter though (my fuel system is/was contaminated so I want the old style). Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

BTW, I'm sure there's lots of other vehicles that use interchangeable injectors (probably even some non-Toyotas), but in regards to other Toyotas that originally used the exact injectors as 84 - 87 Toyota Vans, here's the list:

Date range Model Frames/Options
    08/1977-11/1985 TOYOTA CELICA RA6*,MA61
    08/1985-07/1987 TOYOTA CELICA ST16*
    01/1983-06/1986 TOYOTA CAMRY SV1*,CV1*
    08/1977-06/1984 TOYOTA CRESSIDA MX6
    08/1984-07/1988 TOYOTA CRESSIDA MX7*
    08/1983-02/1989 TOYOTA 4RUNNER TRUCK RN5*,6*,7*,VZN6*,LN5*,6*

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van (Don't have anymore) Replacement: 2008 Chevy Cobalt LT (Also don't have anymore) Current Car: 2021 Subaru Legacy Premium

When I had my injectors serviced, one of them came back with that tip broken. I installed the injector anyway and it's never been an issue for the next 35,000 miles.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by kcg795 View Post
    When I had my injectors serviced, one of them came back with that tip broken. I installed the injector anyway and it's never been an issue for the next 35,000 miles.
    I guess not all injector service places are as thorough as Dr Injector. The one in Gladstone OR has always put new pintle caps on my injectors as part of the $20 (each) service. Tim

My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

Hey coronan On this model of injector the pintel cap protects the tip of the injector and helps retain the lower seal between the injector and manifold. Dont worry about not having the metail filters. I do well over a thousand injectors a year and never have a issue with the newer style filter.

Tell you what. Send me your injectors and I will perform a free cleaning on them and return them with new filters seals and pintel caps.

I will take some pictures and you can give a honest review if it was good or bad.
    Let me know.
    Shop 916-222-7126 Jake
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You have to learn to take your time ... in a hurry
    - Wyatt Earp

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Hey there good doctor . Now here's a member I'm sure we can all take advantage of . That's awesome you joined and even have a van . So far I've always sent my stuff to Dr Injector in Gladstone, OR, but maybe I should start sending it to you (being a van enthusiast trumps location). I'll wait for coronan's review, but I'm sure it will be good. Tim