Thread: Square 2 Pin Connectors

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Square 2 Pin Connectors

I stumbled across our square 2 pin connectors. You know the ones that are brittle and always crumbling on us.

My goal is to find ones fresher than 30 years old that will not have me in the same situation.

Mitsubishi's seem to be a good source and are easy to pull as they are right on top. P&P wants about $4 ea.

Early 90 Mitsubishi Eclips, and Galant yeild these connectors on the injectors and VSVs.
    Name:  IMG_20140810_135156_488.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  49.7 KBName:  IMG_20140810_135003_432.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  86.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140813_130329_031.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  29.5 KBName:  IMG_20140813_130304_449.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  24.7 KB

It was tempting to take these VSVs
    Name:  IMG_20140810_133252_320.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  80.9 KB

Also Late 90's changed to a connector with out the metal clip. (I personally have a thorn in my side about those.)
    Name:  IMG_20140813_164403_271.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140813_130346_751.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  34.2 KBName:  IMG_20140813_130340_741.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  31.7 KB
    Squeeze to release. But it plugs in the same.
    It is a large connector and may not work in certain areas on the van like the injectors. But I would we stoked to phase these in to my van.
    I already put one on the temp sensor on the radiator cap.

Maybe someone can figure out year ranges for each of the generations galants and eclipses I pulled these from.

Some day I will get down to summit racing to try out these:
    Standard Motor Pigtail Replacement Assemblies SK25

http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/smp-sk25

Holley Pro-Jection Service Parts 534-112

http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/hly-534-112

Caspers Electronics Fuel Injector Adapters 108012

http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/cei-108012

PICO Wiring 5625PT - Pico Wiring Connector Pigtails

http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/pco-5625pt

Note the notch in one side that keeps it from getting reversed.

If the Holly's work: They are the same price as used at the yard.

Maybe Tim has a source for them as well.

Happy Hunting!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Square 2 Pin Connectors

Thanks for posting this information. FYI, I fixed the links in your post. For the Bosch style square connectors used on 84 - 87 vans I've only used Napa #CRB 218545 or Standard #S697 injector connectors. These actually appear to be the exact same connector as I can see no physical differences at all between them. These are the type with that PITA wire clip but not identical to the original Toyota ones. They are somewhat universal as they are not specifically keyed (like the original Toyota connectors) so you can interchange from injectors to sensors. This is nice in a way as one connector works on everything (you only need to purchase multiples of the same connector), but not so nice as one connector works on everything (it can be easy mix-up connections on a couple of the sensors). These come with about 6" of wire.

For the inverted Denso connectors used on 88 - 89 vans I've only used salvage yard connectors taken from 80's & 90's Subarus. The Subaru configuration keeps these connectors sheltered and cool, so they typically stay in pristine condition. The new inverted Denso connectors were not available for the longest time, so I stocked up on the salvaged Subaru ones. From what I understand the inverted Denso connectors are now available new, but I've never purchased or installed them.

Regarding injector connectors and the harness, here's some quotes from some of my other posts:

84 - 87 Bosch Style Injector Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    One thing that always annoyed me with the van is the requirement to remove the top half of the intake manifold just to connect/disconnect the engine wire harness to the fuel injectors. The last time I did this I cut the injector part of the harness off & built a removable injector harness (it worked great). This makes it possible to completely assemble the engine before installation. I liked it so much I built a removable harness for this one too (old connectors were shot anyhow). I'm using Standard part #S697 Bosch style injector connectors w/wire and 4 PIN SQ 16-14 AWG Weatherpack connectors. I use 16 AWG automotive primary stranded wire to go from the injector connectors to the Weatherpack connectors. I solder & shrink tube the connections to each injector connector wire, then cover the assembled harness with more shrink tubing. Note: Special crimpers are required for the Weatherpack connectors. If you work with these type connectors (also used on GM) I highly recommend having a Delphi Packard Weatherpack Terminal Release Tool in case you need to pull pins back out. Here is the finished harness:

Male connector positions A&B power injector #1 & positions C&D power injector #2. Female connector positions D&C power injector #3 & positions B&A power injector #4.

88 - 89 Inverted Denso Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    To date I have only used connectors from the salvage yard. Whether Subaru, Toyota, or whatever I figure OEM quality is top notch. Of course I avoid taking used injector connectors from Toyota vans due to the extreme environment they have lived in. I take them with about 3 or more inches of wire then solder/shrink tube them into the van harness. On my rebuilt engine I built a removable injector harness so I could install/remove the engine without splitting the manifold........and yes, all the injector connectors are from Subarus in the salvage yard. Note: Since my van is an 89, it uses the Inverted Denso connectors (used in 88-89). All other years of van used the Bosch style. Here's a few pictures of my custom harness:

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Hi Tim,

The first 2 visible fuel injector connectors on my van are all crumbly and need replacement.
    Are the Napa connectors mentioned above still the way to go?
    Any chance that you feel like building another removable connector harness and selling to me?

Thanks!
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

My Napa and Standard connectors are holding up just fine, so I can still recommend them. Next time I build one for me, I wouldn't mind building a 2nd one for you..........but too many other irons in the fire right now. Even if I built you one, you still need to hack your harness, identify the correct injector wires, and install/crimp connectors to the harness. If you're doing all that, you might as well be building the harness too. I'm sure you can handle it. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Thanks for the reply and harness offer Tim. So now I'm wondering if the Napa female connectors are a perfect match for the old/original male part of the injector connector.?? Do I have to replace those too, or just splice the
    female Napa's?

Thanks!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The injector side of the connector holds up well (I never had one of those fail). It's actually part of the injector and if it did fall apart you'd need to replace the entire injector. Unless the injector is damaged, just replace the harness side. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

OK, got it. Thanks for the quick reply and your awesome help and knowledge!