Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Video of Van Running After Engine Rebuilt HG Replaced.

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Re: Video of Van Running After Engine Rebuilt HG Replaced.

Tim was it you that once said you received a bad ignition coil from Toyota out of the box?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Wasn't me. As for your current problems, there's only so much anybody can do without hands on. Sorry. Tim

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

The weather was beautiful here today in Maryland so I thought i'd make a video on how my van is running. I have been driving it for the past month doing flower deliveries every day just like ol times and its safe to say that Im a Vanner again. Have already put 1800 miles on it and changed the oil this past weekend at the 1500 mark. 1st time since the motor was rebuilt. Im at 296,000 miles and at this rate should hit 300K within the next two months. Video will follow.

Only problem Im having now is a bad fuel injector. Van runs a little rough / uses gas, failed emissions but Im working on saving up for some new ones. Once I put them in, it will be running like new.

Here is the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYb5hrngfI8
    it was such a nice day today that I even spotted a cargo van. I need to hunt down the owner and make friends with him. There are almost no vans in my area except for 1. My other friend lives in D.C but drove his van to Central america so Im lonely here.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 LE MT

First post here. Great site Tim. I've been lurking for a while soaking up your valuable info.

Hey Mahleek, Long time no see. I've been off the sites for a few years, because my 84 with 276K miles has been running fine. And if its 2.0 is underpowered I never have noticed it. It does everything I ask it. Will only top out at 85 on the freeway though. So maybe that's not enough???But's its good to know about those 3Y engines.

But in the last week I've been replacing the engine in a friend's 87 automatic who let it overheat and blew the headgasket, with an 88 I got at the wreckers 4 years ago, so have got the trouble shooting urge going on and have been scrounging the forums for Tim's advice

Mahleek, What were the emission readings? CO2, O2, HC, CO and NO2? That might help us analyze the backfire issue. I don't think the fuel pressure regulator has been mentioned yet. Your pressure could be excessive. What I did once was hook up a pressure gauge off of the line to the cold start valve and watched it as I drove. You can do a lot of things with that other than just checking the pressure. and most importantly without removing the top intake.

Like checking the Pressure Regulator ISV in real time. I got 40 PSI under full throttle from 0-60. Once I closed the accelerator I got 28psi. At half throttle I got 35 PSI.

Also there were no leaking injectors when I shut off the engine.

3rd I saw a 2psi drop in pressure when I grounded each pair of injectors at the factory splice in the wiring harness near the intake. So I knew they were balanced.

Mahleek I know you're not a mechanic and there's no way in hell you're going to do this but I just wanted to show you that there are mechanics and there are problem solvers. So keep searching.
    But congrats on getting it back on the road.
    Last edited by theojo; 04-15-2011 at 09:57 AM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Hey Theojo! Glad you found us. All good advice. Thanks for posting.........I hope you'll stick around as you're a great asset to the forum. Tim