Thread: Rattle/shake in reverse - drive shaft?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 Toyota LE

Rattle/shake in reverse - drive shaft?

I have a moderate rattle/shake when I put my 89 LE in reverse and back up. Any ideas as to what that is? I'm thinking drive shaft. This has been going on for a quite a while, but I had a transmission job done a few weeks ago, and I noticed that even after driving it a while, like tonight, when I went to back up it did it worse than before. The shop changed the trans mounts, so I was thinking that put a new angle on the problem.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 Toyota LE

Re: Rattle/shake in reverse - drive shaft?

I decided to Google ""vehicle shakes in reverse" last night. The common thread that came up consistently regardless of vehicle was broken trans or motor mounts. My trans mounts are brand new, motor mounts are toast, I know, I've looked at them, especially drivers side. I will be trying that first.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Let me know if the motor mounts fix the problem. I also have a slight vibration in reverse, but I haven't given it much thought.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 Toyota LE

Will do ninz30. Ordering aftermarket this weekend, will be a few weeks before I install.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 Toyota LE

Ok, driver side motor mount is changed. I've only driven it 4 miles, will take some further evaluation but I'm pleased The reverse shudder seems to be gone. The van sits level, no slight tilt to the drivers side. Smoother ride, smoother everything. Time will tell if helped some of the squeaks. Will do the other side another day.

It was a 3 hour job with a pair of extra hands part way through. There is a thread here where another member described how to do it, I pretty much followed that. Had to lift the engine uncomfortably high, makes you feel like somethings going to break but nothing did. I was keeping an eye on the fan blades pressing against the shroud mostly. Lifted it on the right side on the oil pan flange using floor jack and a small piece of 2x4. Alternator has to come out first, then you got a little extra room and view.

I'm so happy, I'm going to go out and buy some ice cream just so I can drive it some more.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Sweet... Keep us posted.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 toyota van

i just purchased a 4x4 87 toyota van 160,xxx mls. everything runs great except when i put it in reverse. did the mounts fix your problem? whats the damage if i drive on it?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 Toyota LE

Yes, putting it into reverse and back out is shutter free now. Something else that was cured that I guess I had just gotten use to was the steering wheel vibration at idle, the kind of vibration that makes your dashboard hula dancer come to life. No more vibes while stopped at intersections.

I still have crazy front end noise, either from a ball joint or control arm bushing, something I will be contending with soon. But there was one mystery noise that seems to have disappeared. When I would drive in the rain, I would start getting this thump sound that I could feel thru the floor under my feet. I got to drive in a torrential down pour last weekend and the thump was gone. My theory is that because the driver side mount's top plate was separated from the rubber, rain would get in between, and by some law of physics that I don't understand, would cushion until I hit a bump or uneven road, causing the water to be forced out and the engine to drop down completely on the mount. Just a theory. It would only happen in the rain, and it's gone now.