Thread: Upper control arm, pass. side

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd

Upper control arm, pass. side

So here's a little question, and I think I know the answer, but I thought I'd post if for no other reason than to commiserate with folks that have been in a similar boat. I set out a few days ago to replace all of the bushings on the front end of my '86 2wd van, along with tie rod ends (inner and outer) and shocks because all of this stuff is 230k+ miles old. Got the driver's side done and found it pretty straight-forward. Now I'm on the passenger side.

Passenger side upper control arm, the two bolts that hold the pivot shaft to the frame: floor removed, managed to get the rear-most bolt out (the 19mm one) thanks to a ratcheting combo wrench and some dumb luck. The forward (17mm) bolt has an issue: I just can't get a combo wrench or socket wrench on it. Tried from above, tried from below, thought I had something from the wheel well by using the box end of a combo wrench, angling it up over the frame. Anyway: no go.

I feel like I might have success by disconnecting the three A/C lines that are running directly over the top of that spot but I sure would rather not evacuate the system. Any tips on removing that forward bolt? I'm afraid that even if I can get it out, I won't be able to put enough torque on it to tighten it back up.

Li'l help?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd

Re: Upper control arm, pass. side

An hour and a couple Coronas and a plate of nachos later, it's done. Of course, taking a step back and getting some nutrients (and liquid confidence) made things click.

I finally found in my stash a ratcheting 17mm combo wrench that was just the right length and correct in other dimensions, and then with some creative application of wrench sex, I broke the bolt free and removed it an 1/8th turn at a time. Going in should be a lot easier simply because I can get a hand on it and get it fairly snug that way.

Passenger side suspension disassembled, will get the control arms and new bushings to the machine shop for R&R tomorrow, hopefully get it all back together by the end of the weekend and get it aligned next week.

If I may rant: Toyota did some ingenious things with packaging on the Van but the way they routed crap next to that control arm shaft was not quite their finest work. I'm not usually the guy who says, "Oh I know better than those automotive engineers!" but in this case I just can't see a reason that they couldn't have positioned those A/C lines just slightly up or to the right. Either way would have made things so much easier. Grumble grumble.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Upper control arm bushings

I have read a lot of posts regarding the replacement of the upper control arm bushings on the vans.

I have an 84 with the original bushings. They squeak of course and I spray them to tone it down, but now that I have it apart to replace the torsion bar
    (van's been disabled since a pothole claimed it last May) I am tempted to leave it be. Stories about cracking make me think twice.

I have Raybestos replacements 560-1043B
    The contents say KS-VCI Ferobright Part Number 2671363
    Made in Japan

So, I think I have the right ones. However, I will need heat to remove the Control Arm bolts,
    and it will be no easy task to remove the bushings. I could take it to someone, but I think damage might occur anyway. They have to be tensioned before installing
    so is there any reason to worry if I just leave them alone?

John