Thread: Please recommend rebuilt P/S pump

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Please recommend rebuilt P/S pump

I am finally replacing my leaky power steering pump in my 84 Toyota Van LE with a rebuilt. I plan to buy it from Rock Auto and here are the choices:

Cardone: http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...=215671&p=rock

ATSCO 5075: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...152&cc=1279694

AAE 5075: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...465&cc=1279694

AC Delco 36P0568: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...239&cc=1279694

I researched it and it seems people don't like the Cardone (too many failures) so I am leaning toward the AC Delco.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

John

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Please recommend rebuilt P/S pump

No way to know for sure, but as a general rule you get what you pay for. I purchased the cheapy one before (Cardone I think) and had problems. The pump was beautiful with nice black paint, but it leaked soon after installation. I pulled it back off and replaced the leaking o-ring (on the control valve I think). The o-ring was rock hard and broke in pieces as I removed it. My impression was their rebuild process consisted of bead blasting and painting (nothing more). In fairness that pump has served me well (after I replaced that o-ring), so if you consider the savings it's not so bad. I just don't like repairing parts that are supposedly ready to install. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    No way to know for sure, but as a general rule you get what you pay for. I purchased the cheapy one before (Cardone I think) and had problems. The pump was beautiful with nice black paint, but it leaked soon after installation. I pulled it back off and replaced the leaking o-ring (on the control valve I think). The o-ring was rock hard and broke in pieces as I removed it. My impression was their rebuild process consisted of bead blasting and painting (nothing more). In fairness that pump has served me well (after I replaced that o-ring), so if you consider the savings it's not so bad. I just don't like repairing parts that are supposedly ready to install. Tim

Cardone: $51.79 + $5 core = $56.79
    Atsco: $69.79 + $4 core + $73.79
    AAE: $47.79 + $38 core = $85.79
    AC Delco: $71.79 + $15 core = $86.79

Advance Auto carries Cardone
    Autozone carries them under their "Duralast" label, but I believe they are ATSCO from other posts I read.

I think AC Delco seems like the best bet I think.

Thanks for the help Tim.

Regards,

John

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

It looks like the AC Delco is not available.

Maybe the ATSCO??

John

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

What's wrong with your existing PS pump?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

What's wrong with your existing PS pump?
    Thanks for the reply Tim.

I am going through an alternator every year. It appears to be leaking, but otherwise it works fine. NOTE: I STUPIDLY ran the power steering system with
    power steering fluid instead of Dexron II. And I mean around 20 years. I drained it out last week when I removed the pump and the alternator.

I read some threads about DIY rebuilding with mixed results. Rock Auto has Edelman and Gates kits. They look the same:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7407

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...906&cc=1279694

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...736&cc=1279694

I have a Viton O-Ring Assortment from Harbor Freight, but I don't know if any of them are the right size.

EDIT: I also have a front end oil leak. I am not sure if that may be killing the alternators. Hard to tell, butmost people seem to blame the P/S pumps and not
    oil leaks.

John
    Last edited by craftech; 10-28-2014 at 02:55 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There's some easy to fix leaks that these can get, and if that's all you had I'd probably just throw a seal kit at it. If however it's got a bad bearing or anything else I'd probably just get one of the cheap rebuilds and take my chances. If you end up with a leaker, depending on where it's leaking it might be easier to fix then sending it back. I just fixed the leak in my new/rebuilt pump as it was less hassle. Tim

PS: Yes, Toyota says to use ATF in the power steering system. Due to the lower price and availability of ATF it just makes sense. If however you use power steering fluid, that shouldn't hurt anything. It's formulated to meet the minimum requirements of most PS systems (including ours). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

There's some easy to fix leaks that these can get, and if that's all you had I'd probably just throw a seal kit at it. If however it's got a bad bearing or anything else I'd probably just get one of the cheap rebuilds and take my chances. If you end up with a leaker, depending on where it's leaking it might be easier to fix then sending it back. I just fixed the leak in my new/rebuilt pump as it was less hassle. Tim

PS: Yes, Toyota says to use ATF in the power steering system. Due to the lower price and availability of ATF it just makes sense. If however you use power steering fluid, that shouldn't hurt anything. It's formulated to meet the minimum requirements of most PS systems (including ours). Tim
    Thanks for he help Tim. I'll order the kit.

Regards,

John

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by craftech View Post
    Thanks for he help Tim. I'll order the kit.

Regards,

John
    I ordered the kit, but I was wondering what this little ball bearing is on the pump?
    See photo:
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23...ps8ea545f6.jpg

Is it a check valve of some sort? Is that a "common" leak point?

Thanks,

John

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

As far as I know it's only there to plug a hole. I don't think this is a common leak spot, although I had one leak there before. In my case I threaded the hole and put a screw in it (with some sealant on the threads) & that worked for me.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

As far as I know it's only there to plug a hole. I don't think this is a common leak spot, although I had one leak there before. In my case I threaded the hole and put a screw in it (with some sealant on the threads) & that worked for me.
    Thanks Tim,

I'll keep an eye on it.

John

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

OK, so I used the edeelman rebuilding kit. The o-rings seemed thin, but I used them anyway. Four were the same size despite the different part numbers on the Toyota diagram. Bearing seemed OK so I didn't disassemble the front end to replace it.

John

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm running that same kit in one of mine right now. So far 8k+ miles and counting. No leaks to date. Keep us posted on how yours does. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

I'm running that same kit in one of mine right now. So far 8k+ miles and counting. No leaks to date. Keep us posted on how yours does. Tim
    That's great news Tim. Will do.

Regards,

John

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

The Edelman kit worked well. No leaks. I made a Clorox bottle alternator shield and it didn't melt. Will post photos of it probably in a separate post.

John

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

I bought a seal kit and replaced all the seals in my pump. After I was done it wasnt leaking from any of the places it was before but it was still leaking from that little wheep hole that is at the bottom of the pump. It has hard to deal with. I tried removing it again and welding the hole shut. Some have put a screw in it. It still didnt work out for me. So I bought this pump and so far its been over a year and no leaks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-INDUSTRI...a58744&vxp=mtr

I still keep a piece of cardboard underneath the pump while im driving and I can proudly say its bone dry.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by mahleek87 View Post
    I bought a seal kit and replaced all the seals in my pump. After I was done it wasnt leaking from any of the places it was before but it was still leaking from that little wheep hole that is at the bottom of the pump. It has hard to deal with. I tried removing it again and welding the hole shut. Some have put a screw in it. It still didnt work out for me. So I bought this pump and so far its been over a year and no leaks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-INDUSTRI...a58744&vxp=mtr

I still keep a piece of cardboard underneath the pump while im driving and I can proudly say its bone dry.
    Thanks for the reply. I had seen a previous post of yours regarding the BBB pump. In fact that was what I was going to order if this didn't work out. So far my rebuild is working, but if it starts leaking again I will order the BBB.

Thanks for the reply, much apreciated.

John

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

I ordered the BBB and it is still noisy (500 miles later) and I just found it to be leaking form the weep hole!

Does anyone have any insight? It's got a 3 year warranty but I'm thinking about just threading the hole and plugging it. That would void the warranty tho. Either way, I have to do this freakin' job again. I'm so tired of dealing with PS fluid.

Why the heck would this leak unless there was an internal issue?