Thread: Crossed jumper cables NO START

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2WD Toyota Van LE Cargo

Question Crossed jumper cables NO START

Hey guys, Ive been looking into another 1987 TV, low miles and in minty fresh condition.. but they crossed the jumper cables and now it will not start. Apperently there is power to the cab, lights, radio work. but nothing when you turn the key besides possibly a relay clicking.

Any insight to what fusable like could be causing this? Ive done some extensive research and havent stumbled upon the right answer yet.
    Thanks in advance guys!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Crossed jumper cables NO START

Check the FL 1.25B (most likely). It's the 1st one featured in THIS THREAD

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thanks Tim! the symptoms of the electrixal problem are very simular to a loose battery terminal. turn the key to on position and everything lights up, but once you put a load on it such as lights or starting it up it dies. hoping its the mai. fusable link!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

And of course check your cable connections. Toyota used marginal cable & connectors. When these were new it was adequate. Now after years of use, exposure, & corrosion these problems are not uncommon. Get under the van & visually inspect the cables & attach points. If there's anything "iffy" just fix it. Even if that's not the core problem, it's just a matter of time anyhow.

I actually had a battery fail internally once & it was exactly like your symptoms. Battery was in a daily driver and was fine right up to the point it failed. I put a volt meter across the battery posts and read 13+ volts, but when my wife tried to crank it would drop to 0. I ended up walking/jogging home (about 4 miles) to get the truck while she & the kids waited in the parking lot. I doubt that's your problem, but it can happen. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Hey guys.. So I finally got my hands on the van. With a little fiddling around, I managed to get the van to turn over, but NO start. The cuplrit was the terrible battery terminals. Now it seems like it isnt getting gas. Next step is to test the fuel pump.
    Only thing I'm unsure about is if the previous owner was lying to me. All I did was wiggle the negative battery terminal and it turned over. even stranger was the pressence of seafoam in the van as well.
    What else could stop working from jumping the battery wrong?
    Everything turns over nice but no go. any thoughts??

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

In my opinion, the fusible links are the things most likely to be stressed and/or blow from hooking the battery up backwards. It might hurt the alternator too, but that won't prevent from starting. With today's gas, anything that sits more than 2 years is likely to have a failed fuel pump. Since checking that is easy, I'd recommend doing that 1st. I've seen a lot of failed fuel pumps lately, so I'm guessing that's it. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

So I got the van started today.. Thanks to my lead foot
    I'm guessing the van has a bad coil, because I had to have my foot to the floor before it would start, and there is still hesitation after it warms up.. but it idles smoothly. It also seems like it could be starving for gas but why did the symptoms get better as it warmed up? Any comments would be appreciated!
    Thank-you Tim for your input I'm sure all of us Yota van enthusiasts would be rather without you!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Starving for gas problems typically show up when there's a high demand for it. Driving highway speeds or going up steep hills are 2 of the most demanding (anything that requires full throttle for very long). If the van can do these things then it's not starving for fuel. General bad running is usually due to other issues. If you haven't already, jump the "check engine connector" and check for stored trouble codes. This is the 1st step to troubleshooting such a problem. Here's a link to an article that explains this in more detail: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...vice-Connector

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

While diagnosing a bad ground, I once installed the battery backwards.

I replaced the fusible links, got the van to start and run, but with symptoms that sound similar to yours.

I pulled the ECU and noticed a burned out element. Grabbed an ECU from ebay, swapped, fixed.

Might be worth opening up the ECU?

http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...lit=sputtering

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

The previous owner said he jump started it backwards and could not get to start again. First thing I checked was the battery terminals, held the negative terminal down and it turned over(no start)
    Tried turning it over pumping gas, holding it down etc, and only got it to sputter once or twice.
    Came back the next day, pumped the gas and got a better response, more sputtering and coughing, held the gas down and it started.
    The fishy thing is he has coolant and sea foam in the vehicle? maybe this problem has slowly progressed to this point and he gave up and lied about the battery?? just speculating

So I haven't had a chance to wrench on the van, my symptoms are as follows;
    To start the vehicle, I have to pump the gas then hold throttle to wide open position
    It coughs and sputters until it turns over, then almost holds the idle
    Once its idling (after light persuading), it idles well(with a whining noise, I believe its a different issue)
    While warming up it has extreme hesitation when revving, and once warmed up hesitation is less but is still there.
    It is barely drive able, has little to no power but seems to improve as it goes. Drove it around for 5-10 mins and it had better pickup and hesitated less but not driveable.

No check engine lights or anything, Idles smoothly but has hesitation once warmed up under acceleration and revving.
    So far I think it could be the coil, fuel pump or filter.

There is a possibility the ecu was fried as well but I never had to replace a single fuseable link or fuse...
    hmmmm. Below is a picture of the beaut'
    156,000kms, little to no rust.. engine compartment is immaculate, and a nicely built bed in the back w/ subfloor underneath.
    So far I know it needs;
    A Tune-up
    Rear blower motor
    front shocks & tires (of course)
    Possibly has rad leak
    Hatch doesn't close properly
    I think $1200 is an ok? deal..

Name:  00000_9L4y8Y6vHvE_600x450.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  23.1 KB