Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Stalls when I hit a puddle in the rain

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: Engine Stalls when I hit a puddle in the rain

My check engine light has been on since 1998.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Huh? I was going off this information you previously posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Previologist View Post
    Brand new cap and 0-ring less than 15,000 miles ago so i don't think it is that.

Hmmm, interesting thought which I would normally rule out except...the other day my ECU apparently lost power briefly. I started the van and my check engine light didn't come on................

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Oh, I had already forgotten about that. Whatever it was it only happened once and never happened again. That CEL is back to staring at me all the time, including when its just in the ON position and not running.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, these type problems can be very frustrating. I have no problem zoning in on problems when they remain. It's the intermittent ones that I hate.....because they will never be there when you are looking for them. At least you know it's not the ECU power circuit. I would suggest removing the passenger seat and access panel, then use a spray bottle of water to try and duplicate the issue. I would start low and work your way up. Try to focus on small areas so you can zero in on the trouble area. As you're wetting it down, look for sparks jumping in wet areas. If it stalls, pull the dist cap immediately to see if any water has infiltrated. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Great idea. I will try that before and after I change the cap, rotor and add a new heat insulator if I can find one for a non-exhorbitant price

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Yeah, these type problems can be very frustrating. I have no problem zoning in on problems when they remain. It's the intermittent ones that I hate.....because they will never be there when you are looking for them. At least you know it's not the ECU power circuit. I would suggest removing the passenger seat and access panel, then use a spray bottle of water to try and duplicate the issue. I would start low and work your way up. Try to focus on small areas so you can zero in on the trouble area. As you're wetting it down, look for sparks jumping in wet areas. If it stalls, pull the dist cap immediately to see if any water has infiltrated. Tim

You're the man. It is the coil, not the distributor. I haven't taken it off yet so I don't know why, but I covered the distributor with foil and sprayed only the coil and boom it dies.

Edit/update: seems to be centered at the connector coming to the coil from battery, but can't see anything wrong yet.
    Last edited by Previologist; 06-28-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

That power-in line was the only one I wasn't able to get off when I greased the others a few days ago, because I didn't take the coil off when I did it. Today I took the coil off, liberally greased the outside of the tower that the power-in connector slides over, and that did the trick. Spraying it with water has no effect now.

I think I can finally drive in the rain again. Thanks for the great idea Tim!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I think a banana dance is in order

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Deliberately splashed through a bunch of puddles in a downpour the other day. Victory is mine.