Thread: Van Lurching Forward When Stopped

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Van Lurching Forward When Stopped

My 1984 automatic 2wd started acting funny in the last few weeks. When I first start it up and it is cold it won't go into gear (forward or reverse) until it is revved up high enough. Basically you put you put on the gas an nothing happens and then all of the sudden it catches and you are flying backwards. This is dangerous when trying to get out of a parallel parking spot. Also when I come to red lights and I'm sitting there for about 30 seconds it lurches forward all of the sudden. My ATF is topped off and so is the brake fluid. It has started to get colder in the last couple weeks, but only around 50 degrees F. The problem seems to stop once the van is warmed up. Any ideas?
    Tom - 1984 Toyota Van, Customized Camper

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Van Lurching Forward When Stopped

What you are describing is a starvation for fluid (transmission pump can't build pressure). The common cause is low fluid level, but it can also be caused by restriction. I know you said it was topped off, but getting an accurate reading can be a little challenging. Engine needs to be running and transmission in park. It doesn't need to be hot, but for best accuracy that works best. Pull the dipstick and wipe it clean. push it all the way back in and immediately pull it back out. Now compare the wet spot on both sides of the dipstick (they should be the same). If one side reads lower, then that side is the one to believe. Recheck at least 3 times and compare. If your results are consistent, only then should they be believed. If they are inconsistent, always put more faith in the low level reading.

If your ATF shows full, then you should pull the pan, inspect for debris in the pan/strainer, and replace the strainer. Refill with new Dexron III ATF. Here is a link to a thread where this has been discussed: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...for-new-owners. The auto transmission service info starts on post #12. Subject is changed at one point, but then comes back to automatic transmissions. Some information is also on pages 2 & 3. Good luck. There are other threads with more information, so if this isn't enough use the search feature. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: Van Lurching Forward When Stopped

Thank You Tim! Looks like my weekend is booked
    Tom - 1984 Toyota Van, Customized Camper