Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Urgent need for advice on space van wheels (OEM and alternate rims)

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Re: Urgent need for advice on space van wheels

I picked a set of rims last month but after reviewing this and other threads I do not know what I have. They are not 9 hole Cressida but look similar. They have 8 holes, depressed area for the lugs and a center cap mounted with four screws. Interior markings on the rim are 5 1/2 JJx14 27 20 over a Y, NO or ON, 54/2, A. Exterior rim on one 'spoke' is engraved a logo like JLL or MC depending which way you look at it. Center Caps are marked with a Toyota logo.

I have searched and I cannot find a reference to these wheels. Anybody know?? I am going to test fit this weekend.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Got photos?

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

I will try to upload. The more I look at the center cap and the stylized 'T' I am starting to believe these are aftermarket made to look like the Cressida 9 hole wheels.Name:  DSCF2136.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  64.8 KBName:  DSCF2135.jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  63.7 KB

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Those look more like stock 80’-81’ stock Supra rims, there’s some that look exactly like that in a 13” rim if I’m correct. Those really look to be in great shape

JDM

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

With a better date range and specifically searching toyota supra these rims are coming back ID'd as Toyota OEM 14" for Supra! I still do not think they are in the best shape but a trip to a traveling repair business (Alloy Wheel Repair aka AWR) only gets me the info they will sand and blast and then repaint 'Bright Silver' complete for about $70.00 + or try to two tone for a bit more. I would rather see the aluminum clear finish so they are probably just going to go on the panel van as is.
    Thanks JDM

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

In 13x5 they show as 79-81 corolla, I cannot find them anywhere in 14 but i remember running them on my first van in late 80's
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Those rims are the optional Cargo alloys for 86-89, and they are shown in the Toyota dealer lit for 87 & 88.

They are my very favorite 2WD Van rims.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Yep, they looked great on the van, just can't remember where I got them from

Name:  86 on corola wheels.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  98.7 KB
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Carbonized,

That's my van or your van but with the wheels!! Convinced me that I will do some minor clean up on the curb rash and mount these wheels to the new tires I am putting on my cargo panel van. I will not 'repaint them'. I do have the tow hitch but not the Cat you are pulling. Nice Pic!

SoORYotas

My Van(s):

Yes they where very good wheels, One thing about them is that they are very "open", let a lot of air through so they are kind to the brakes. I did thousands of miles with the rig as you see it in the picture, including up to the Grand Canyon once on the return from California. Granted the van was a manual and the boat and (brakeless)trailer weighted no more than 2000lbs we never experienced any sign of brake fade or got anything smelling hot.
    I have a wheel repair shop here that can do magic on rims, curb rash is nothing for them to make disappear. I'm sure there is a shop like that in your neck of the woods.
    I'm sure you will like your wheels, and as with anything that rare, I would keep my eyes open for a spare or two .
    Cheers
    LG.

My Van(s):

Carbonized,

that’s such a awesome photo, I thought it was a post card for a Toyota commercial!!!

JDM

My Van(s):

That picture was shot with a panoramic throw away kodak camera , remember those? The scan made it just grainy enough to look vintage, Huu... but wait... it is!

I threw a lot of chalenges at that van, never a complaint , never let me down. Here is another one that would not be so good for a Toyota commercial before some Photoshop:Name:  firstvan4.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  92.8 KB
    Loads just got bigger and heavier . Almost put it in the drink twice with this one! Rear wheel drive vehicles are not the best on a wet slippery boat ramp I took good care of it but didn't baby-ed it. The little engine that could....

Back to our regular programing... Wheels...
    LG.

My Van(s):

14x5.5= 1977 to 1981 Celica-supra, Baby supra? Looks like right at the transition between the Celica and full blown Supra.
    LG.

My Van(s):

Yes!!!

There were in 13” and 14” the photo with all 4 rims you can see the two on the left are 13” and the two on the right are 14” amazing!!

13” Celica
    14” Supra.... Baby Supra

I got my set out and took them in for refinishing.... curb rash,polish, and cleanup but not over the top like the Supra rims, I’ll post pictures when I get them back.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 02-24-2018 at 12:29 AM.

My Van(s):

Just bumped into this:1981 last year of the Celica Supra before becoming the full blown Supra. Check the head lamps/corner lights grill arrangement......Mmmmm???

Name:  1981-toyota-celica-supra-1[1].jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  91.5 KB
    LG.

My Van(s):

2 rims done, I had the edges rolled to remove the curb rash and minor cleanup, I didn’t have them totally finished cause they came out pretty nice. I still have the other 2 that need cleaning up.

ENJOY!!

JDM

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

So here is the final pic of my '89 Van after I got new Hankook tires mounted on the eight hole special order van wheels as noted by llamavan earlier in this thread. I decided not to let a 'wheel refinisher' update them as they wanted to finish the entire wheel in one 'Bright Silver' color. So mounted as found in three tone. I sold the van a few days ago to my son who will be driving it to home base in TX. About 11 years, 79K miles and many memories. Could not ask for a better van. Now time to sell the 89 Window van (and maybe my son's house mate is interested!!). Here is the pic with the wheels we all discussed and Gwen identified as one of her favorites in the 2WD. The van just rolled over 266k and is still going strong.

My Van(s):

Mega flashback! Brings back loads of good memories to me!!
    LG.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE automatic

It turns out that some 79-81 Celica Supras came with these hubcaps, and they look pretty good on our vans! A lot cheaper than alloys too.

My Van(s):

tehAndy

Very nice, I’ve seen these on a AE86 before!!

soORYotas

that’s an awesome van to keep in the family!!

JDM
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 04-30-2018 at 05:26 PM.