Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Urgent need for advice on space van wheels (OEM and alternate rims)

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Re: Urgent need for advice on space van wheels

I have Kumo 205-70-14 on MA61 (baby Supra). Sliding door clears the tire by 1 millimeter.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Nice man

i like the white lettering and the rally look-
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):

Picking up my rims today, I also went to the Toyota Celica/Supra forum and found a nice tread on how to clean them... Not to discredit anyone else who posted on TVT how to clean 4WD rims... That was an awesome "how to do" documentation

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/ind...?topic=21600.0

Only one has curb rash otherwise they are in great shape and just need to be refinished and they're missing the center caps which I already have a lead on to pick up this week.

I'm gonna get the tires from my buddy who deals in wheels and tires after I refinish them.
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 04-14-2016 at 12:52 PM.

My Van(s):

I got'em!!! Just need to polish them up and they'll be good to to go!!!!

My Van(s):

I finally came to the realization that I would never have the time to finish the rims off myself so I took them into a wheel shop and it turns out that the owner is a kid that I used to coach on my sons basketball team for 4 years from 2002-2006... What a small world...

I dropped the rims with him back on 4/20 and he said they usually don't do refinish work like I was asking for but he would see what he could come up with. I showed him the thread from the Supra forum and asked him to use it as a guide to what I was looking for.

Its 7/7 and he called me today to tell me they were ready for pickup. I went to his shop and boy he totally made them like new...

1) sandblast inside/outside
    2) eliminate the curb rash
    3) resand and smooth
    4) resand and smooth
    5) resand and smooth
    6) polish out aluminum shiney part
    7) mask and tape
    8) black paint the small filler lines and lug nut area
    9) black paint the inside
    10) clean up

They look incredible, I asked him how much I owed him.... He looked at me and said "you can take them, I just wanted to do it for you in appreciation of the time you put in all those years coaching us on and off the court." I was floored by his response.... And almost lost my composure... He put his hand on my shoulder and said "coach thank you for everything you did, you've been a positive roll model for me" and then we loaded up the rims and I rolled out...

I was running around with my 3 little kiddos all day today so I only had time for 1 picture to post but I'll get the rest of them up by the weekend, I'll need to dig out my first set that I bought a few years ago and put them out for comparison.

Here's 1 refinished rim-

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Good karma..... and now niiiiice wheels!
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):

I'll take that kinda karma all day!!!!

I haven't had time to dig out my other set, they've been buried in the garage (storage area)

heres all 4 finished rims

My Van(s):

I'm saving up for some BFG tires and looks like the 205/70r14's here's the closest Aspect Ratio measurements-
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 07-09-2016 at 12:44 AM.

My Van(s):

Just found my 1st set of supra rims that were buried in garage!!!

When I got them I thought these have to be the sweetest rims around... Until I got the second set back from my former player I used to coach

check it out these are unfinished rims and they are in great condition too!! Only one has a slight rash and the black paint is still looking nice!!

My Van(s):

Sure look pretty good for 20 something years old!
    Wonder what other jewels you've got hiding in that garage of your???

Did you ever get the re-finished set mounted?
    LG.

My Van(s):

Yeah man I got these from a guy in Vegas that was paring out his 85' Supra, he had just posted the listing and I caught it when I was checking CL during my lunch break and contacted my buddy over there and asked him to go check'em out the same day.

I sent my buddy $100 in comps from when I was staying at the Venetian and some cash for shipping to make it worth his while. Hey man it's Vegas!!!

By the weekend they were at my house!!!!

Naw man haven't gotten around to getting tires for the refinished set, have to get a set for my wifey's truck 285x55x20, and a set for the Sequoia and I just got a new set for my 4WD Van. We just got back from a 5 day trip from the Oregon coast and back to school supplies and clothes shopping..... Soooooo you know Daddy's girls (Toya and Latoya Vans) have to take a break from getting some luv'ins!!!
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 09-08-2016 at 06:55 PM.

My Van(s):

Today I went into my buddies tire shop to finally put the supra rims on my TownAce, I've waited forever to mount these!!! I searched on line and found a new set of Michelin Defenders 205/70/14, a whole new set of JDM style black lugnuts only to find out the rims don't fit??? I showed my buddy all the photos of the vans that are running those rims but they just won't fit the JDM van.

I had had him first put just the rim on the left rear wheel to see if the sliding door would clear and.... NOPE!!!! The sliding door hit the rim and that's without the tire being on!! I was so mad and disappointed I forgot to take a picture... totally baffled that the rims fit on everyone else's van but not mine!!! I'm thinking the sliding door angle has to be different?

When I get some time I'm gonna measure sliding doors on my TownAce and my 4WD van and see if there's any difference in door size as well, heck in the another thread the rear windows on the TownAce were shorter then the 4WD van so there's gotta be some subtle differences.

How disappointing that I'm not able to use either sets of Supra rims!!! Now I've gotta find the other type of Toyota rims... 5.5 innh Snowflake , 9-hole, or slotted 4 hole... Wow the hunt is on!!

Hmmmm.... or maybe buy another US van to fit them on... hehehehe

If anyone has a lead on some nice rims give me a heads up

Thank you

JDM

My Van(s):

That's a real bummer! These rims look really nice, I have the same rims with kumo 205 70 14 tires on my 2WD and the slider clears the side wall by no more than one millimeter. The offset on the rims is +8 millimeters, combined with the extra 3/4" on each side of center line ( 7" vs 5.5 wide), the outside of the rim lip moves 37 millimeters outboard (1.37") compared to the steelys. They are, I believe, called MA61 P.Type. The JDM # is 7-JJx14-8 (stamped on the rim)
    Toyota made a flat dish version of this rim, 14x5.5 +27 offset called L. type 82-84 Celica/Supra. Depending on how much rubbing you have, these should clear.
    They also made a 15x6 +20 offset version in 85. The 15" will give you a ton more choice in tires these days.

Be wary of comparing drive train component measurements between a 4WD and 2WD.

There is also the solution of extending the center roller guide arm on the sliding door:http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...nsion-tutorial
    LG.

My Van(s):

Thank you for the break down on the wheel sizing!! Looks like both of my Supra wheel sets are from a MA61 P-Type 14x7, I knew that there was a L-Type version Celica Supra but didn't realize that the rim was smaller, I have heard of Baby Supra rims before so it must be referring to the L-Type rim? As for the 85' version 15x6 rim those have to be pretty rare cause I haven't even seen those bad boys!!

I'm gonna have to really hunt for the 3 other OEM type rims since they are the most true and unquestionable for proper fitment. There was a van in the pick and pull that had the 9 hole rims but by the time I got there they were already gone, I was gonna grab them just in case the Supra rims didn't fit.

Thank you you for the link for sliding door mod, but that's no where in the near future for me to have done.

JDM

15. 11-03-2017, 11:59 PM

Reason
    irrelevant after thread merge

16. 11-06-2017, 10:43 AM

Reason

17. 11-07-2017, 01:13 AM

Reason

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE automatic

Well, maybe I'm not that good at searching, but I can't seem to find an answer. This thread seems like the place to be for wheel/tire questions, though! I'm looking at a set of aftermarket 14x6 wheels with a +10mm offset to run on my '87 LE 2wd van. On a 6" wheel is that going to be too little positive offset for one of these vans? I know they can have issues with tire rub on fenders and can hinder the sliding door. I'd be running 195/60-14 tires on these wheels.

My Van(s):

tehAndy,

sorry I don’t have the answer to your question but some where it’s been discussed about the OE offset, maybe in this thread but try using the forum search feature or even the google search in another window and see if it comes up.

On a side note I just picked up a set of Snowflake rims in really nice condition to add to my collection of OEM rims, I’m still on the hunt for a set of Celica GTS 4 Slot rims, I think they were also known as the Baby Supra Rims. The only thing missing on these rims are the center caps but I have a set that might work with the old school “T” emblem on them.

Chenk it out

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 Toyota Van LE RWD Automatic

Re: 87 TOYOTA VAN,,,will these wheels fit?

I missed a set of Supra wheels locally, bummer.

I did find a set of 13" alloys from a 85 Corolla SR5, do you know if there are any clearance issues with the 13" wheel?

I searched and didn't see anything posted.

Thanks for your help...

21. 01-26-2018, 11:36 AM

Reason
    now irrelevant

22. 01-26-2018, 12:11 PM

Reason
    now irrelevant

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Daverave64,

Do not think the 13" will clear the hubs/disks. If the Supra wheels you missed are the ones that were CL/Molalla OR listing earlier this month, I did buy those. They were the Cressida 9 hole which looked pretty good in the pics but two of them have been curb scraped pretty badly. Having made the 3 + hour trip north to look I bought them on spec. Figure I've got about 20 hours or more labor to restore to a decent condition (they also had spray foam insulation stuck all over). If I decide not to use them on one of my '89s I will contact you to see if you are still looking.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 Toyota Van LE RWD Automatic

Thank You to a fellow Oregonian for the update.

The 9 hole Cressida wheels on there now, they were on it when I bought it.

I am hoping to sport it up a bit, maybe it is just the white wall tires that give it the old man look

Will keep searching, the big April swapmeet is coming up at PIR soon

Quote Originally Posted by SoORYotas View Post
    Daverave64,

Do not think the 13" will clear the hubs/disks. If the Supra wheels you missed are the ones that were CL/Molalla OR listing earlier this month, I did buy those. They were the Cressida 9 hole which looked pretty good in the pics but two of them have been curb scraped pretty badly. Having made the 3 + hour trip north to look I bought them on spec. Figure I've got about 20 hours or more labor to restore to a decent condition (they also had spray foam insulation stuck all over). If I decide not to use them on one of my '89s I will contact you to see if you are still looking.

My Van(s):

The 2wd van OEM steelys are 14"x 5.5, stud pattern 4- 4.5, offset +25, stud size 12mm, center bore 60 mm. Armed with that go to: www.wheelsupport.com. and do a search by bolt pattern. You should get a list of all wheels with that bolt pattern then narrow it to 14' and 15", select the ones with 60mm center bore make sure the stud diam. is 12mm, and you should get a fairly long list of wheels that could fit. You still have to deal with width and offset. Then you can go to www.stockwheels.com to see the wheel and crosscheck the #s.

That's my "Wheel search"story and I'm sticking to it

Let us know what you come up with, it is always helpful to someone else.
    LG.