Thread: Question: How to uninstall driver's seat

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

Question: How to uninstall driver's seat

I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but in my search I found nothing. Does anyone know how to take out the driver's side seat? I have taken out the passenger seat many times, but after unscrewing many bolts, it is stuck in there good.

The reason I am trying to do this is because my chair isn't sliding and I'm dangerously too far away from the pedals. -- If anyone knows a simpler solution to this, I will gladly take it!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    current - 87 4WD Hi/Lo manual past - 89 LE 2wd. 87 cargo 4WD auto, 87 manual, 87 auto

Re: Question: How to uninstall driver's seat

Had this issue w/ my most recent van. Used a combo of WD40 (for possible rust/moisture) and standard turbine oil on the seat rails. Lot's of both. Let it sit over night and could feel it start to budge the next day. Took some muscle, but it came unstuck. Also, there's probably bolts you can't get to because your seat doesn't move, which is why it's not coming out. Good luck!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

I've run into this twice on my 89. I know your hood latch is different but I'm guessing the seat is similar. The seat is attached by 4 bolts, two at the front and two at the back, all accessed from the top. If your seat won't go forward all the way you may not be able to see the ones in the back, so you might have a hard time getting it off.

The most recent time it was caused by a loose bolt falling down under the seat and landing on the rail. Remove the front bolts and take a look under there.

The other time I had a problem with it not moving properly was because the seat has a weird mechanism for limiting forward/back motion. There are tabs that stick out the right side of the seat and fit into a groove attached to the van. If it has come out of the groove it might be hitting something else and causing the problem. Hopefully with the front bolts removed you'll be able to wiggle them back into place.

Good luck!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

Thanks for the help everyone! After some lube and muscle and removing the back of the back of the seat, it moves!

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Drivers Seat Removal?

I thought I'd just have to remove the 4 bolts holding the seat to the engine hatch but the seat belt latch on the right side is on a track and is connected to the seat as well. I've managed to get the seat stuck and can't really get the engine hatch open now. Is there a bolt on the underside I missed that keeps the belt latch in the track? I looked at the service manual but it's not really clear. The simple things always get me!

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Re: Drivers Seat Removal?

Figured it out. It is just removing the four bolts on the seat track. Then you have to tilt the seat to get the seat belt latch out of it's track. My issue was the small pencil that was in the seat belt latch track... tons of stuff under there.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Removing Seats

Hi all! I just bought my 1987 Toyota Van last week and am in the process of stripping it down. The first thing I want to do is get rid of all the old carpet but I can't get underneath the driver front seat. Does anyone know how to remove it? I see where the four bolts are but I can't get to the back two since they seem to be under the seat itself. Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4WD Automatic Vanwagon - "The Pale Blue Dot" 1990 JDM Toyota HiAce 4wd Automatic Diesel w/ a DIY camper conversion

Re: Removing Seats

Use the lever and slide the seat forward