Thread: I love my van - running rich

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Xstratrak - 4Y EFI - 553K

Thumbs up I love my van - running rich

Hi all fellow van lovers,

I am the new 'green van man' on this site... i hope to make many more posts.

I have two discussions, one being my 4y EFI idle control valve thermowax plunger(at least i hope that is what it is?) takes.....ages...and.....ages....to function. Lets say maybe 15 min. of town driving before the revs go from 1200 rpm to 850rpm. Once the revs have gone down i can still smell fuel from the exhaust....could the symptoms be related?....is this normal consistent with anyone else?

I love my van and my wife......but my van is old and worth very little monetary wise. Is there a newer alternative on the market that ticks all the same boxes as a 'box tarago' manual 4wd?....i can't find one and hence am sticking with the old girl.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: I love my van - running rich

So i did the lazy thing and posted a query hoping for someone to magically give me an answer. Since my last post
    i have read through old posts on this site and can say it is a fantastic resource.

As such i have since pulled a code 11 and will investigate further. I will post the results.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Update.

So i pulled the throttle sensor out with the throttle body and had a butchers. The body was a bit dirty and oily behind the butterfly however the throttle sensor looked in good nick.....until i decided to strip it further. Then the plastic components broke in many pieces similar to plastic stuff that has had too much sun exposure or heat hardened. So i have ordered another.

I am not flush with money so have gone with a $65 non OEM option as opposed to $188. It may be false economy but the van only cost me $800 and
    with such high K's i wonder how much life the old girl still has in her.

This thread is starting to feel like my own personal diary

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Quote Originally Posted by utahxl500 View Post
    Update.

So i pulled the throttle sensor out with the throttle body and had a butchers. The body was a bit dirty and oily behind the butterfly however the throttle sensor looked in good nick.....until i decided to strip it further. Then the plastic components broke in many pieces similar to plastic stuff that has had too much sun exposure or heat hardened. So i have ordered another.

I am not flush with money so have gone with a $65 non OEM option as opposed to $188. It may be false economy but the van only cost me $800 and
    with such high K's i wonder how much life the old girl still has in her.

This thread is starting to feel like my own personal diary
    mine is basically turning into a tune up diary

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...sive-Tuneup%29

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Looks like your thread has got a fair bit to digest...will definitely have a squiz. I'm impressed how you have managed to get your bike in with the first lot of back seats in. I have managed an XJ750 and TS185 in one hit.......but all the seats had to come out.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Quote Originally Posted by utahxl500 View Post
    Looks like your thread has got a fair bit to digest...will definitely have a squiz. I'm impressed how you have managed to get your bike in with the first lot of back seats in. I have managed an XJ750 and TS185 in one hit.......but all the seats had to come out.

I think Australia has my bike (its very small) its called the Honda Grom in the States, It might be called the Honda MSX125 there. its tiny thats why it fit lol

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Update.

So i have replaced the throttle position sensor with a cheap non OEM part (made in Italy and appears well fabricated and robust). The
    code 11 has disappeared. The code i am getting now suggests there are no issues i.e one blink every 4 seconds or so.

Problem is i can still smell fuel from the exhaust. The revs drop quicker from cold to idle which was my query at the beginning of this thread(good).
    There is also some hunting between 700 & 900 rpm.

Bit confused now. I may check all the the vacuum hoses as i am not 100% sure they are all correct and am positive this will have an effect on the richness.

There is a sticker under the inspection hood showing all the vacuum hoses but it is pretty knackered. I would appreciate if anyone could send me a copy if
    they have one . 4Y-EC EFI...Thanks

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

An interesting thing about these vans is that the entire EFI system is very similar to the 22re Pickups and 4Runners from the same years. Though it's not interchangeable, the troubleshooting is nearly identical. That said EFI gremlins are usually like you just mentioned; ECU hard fail (11), cleared when part (TPS) was changed. Odd (gradual/subtle) gremlins usually arise from small leaks here and there (or blockages!) on these vehicles. The electrical systems are much more robust and simple than later years. Try looking at YotaTech and similar: (http://www.yotatech.com/esp_search.p...+rich&type=gcs).

For running rich, I would look at the cold start injector, the O2 sensor, and the injectors as most likely culprits. You could pinch the line or similar to see if it clears up. Also fuel injectors that don't atomize properly will exhibit the same symptoms. If they haven't been rebuilt they could probably use it. Alternatively, you could use a fuel system additive with high amounts of PolyEthylAmine (PEA), this is really the only stuff (and analogs) that has been shown to do an effective in-tank fuel system cleaner.

To find stuff that includes it, just look at the warning label. If it says: WARNING: Contains Amines; then that's your stuff. If it only says WARNING: Contains petroleum distillates; you may as well just put kerosene in your gas tank.

Cheers, let us know how it turns out!
    Last edited by Cadin; 12-10-2014 at 12:38 AM.