Thread: Buying 1986 Toyota Van Wagon .. Need advice on transmission and motor!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van Wagon

Buying 1986 Toyota Van Wagon .. Need advice on transmission and motor!

Hi guys!

I'm excited to be apart of the community. I am purchasing a 86 Van Wagon from a woman who said the car has sat for a few years and they stopped driving it because the van started stalling. The plan is to turn the van into a camper van and travel across the country for a couple years after graduating college.

So, because the van is not working and has sat for a few years, before starting my journey I'd really like to rebuild or get a new motor/transmission .. sorta replace everything that is necessary so I have confidence in my car and my journey.

I wanted to ask the community what you all thought -- Do you think its necessary to get a brand new transmission/motor or would rebuilding this be fine too?

And any information on places to go for purchasing new or rebuilt motor/transmission or mechanic's in Orlando Florida?

Really any advice you have to give would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Re: Buying 1986 Toyota Van Wagon .. Need advice on transmission and motor!

How many miles does it have on it? I'd try to get it running first before getting too deep into engine rebuilds. Whatever is causing the current issues may very well be outside the engine in the EFI system or elsewhere and it could damage the new engine. At the very least you won't be able to tell if the new one you get is working properly. The existing one might have another 100k left in it if taken care of anyway. If your troubleshooting uncovers a bad head gasket or worse then go ahead with the rebuild. I don't know much about auto transmissions but I would think the same thing - wait until you have an indication of a problem before messing with it too much.

I bought one with 200k, converted it to a camper, and have put 50k on it since then. I've only had minor problems that were all external - alternator, starter contacts, wiring, fan clutch, etc. I've gone cross-country 1.5 times and am currently in Miami. In a few weeks I'm headed back to the west coast and am not really worried about the engine.

Here is some info about my conversion, feel free to ask questions. It's not pretty but that's a low priority for me - it could certainly be made to look better.
    http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/...d.php?tid=8973

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Good advice from Reducto. There will be plenty of things to spend money on without getting into rebuilds. If it needs it then fine, but make sure it really needs it before ripping into it like that. I just tore down an engine with 160k miles on it and nothing on the inside required machine work. Just rings, bearings, gaskets, and a few other things and it's as good as new. In my case it had to come apart due to stuck oil rings and severe contamination in the cooling system, but it's not unusual to see these get into the 300k range before an overhaul or rebuild is required. Tim

PS: Here's a link to my last major engine project:
    http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ngine-Overhaul

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van Wagon

Alright so here the update ... Since I am so new to this experience I am trying to make the best economical decision for me. I've decided to pass on purchasing that van because I am restricted to a budget. I'm a college student graduating in 8 months and want to have as much money as possible when I am ready to go.

The idea is to buy a van - doesn't necessary have to be a Van Wagon but I really like its style and I've read a lot of reviews on how they have a lasting motor. I currently have a 4 door kia 2008 and I just know that when I'm ready to start my new lifestyle change that my car will not fit my lifestyle! Sure I can make it work but -- to sleep in? Not so much.

I have found another Van Wagon out in California for 3,300$ - I live in Florida so i'd have to ship the car home 800$ then spent money on converting it to a camper - 1K$ ... Thats my max budget. The reason I am willing to spend this money on the van is because the seller has provided me with all the mechanical paperwork that shows the recent work hes put into the van. Which is well over 3,330$. He inherited another Van and is just wanting to sell. He redid his Van Wagon a year ago to make reliable car for surf trips to Mexico. He wanted to make the car reliable so it wouldn't break down.

He said he had the top and bottom end of the motor rebuilt and had the transmission serviced. He's sent me recipes of the work which i will attach in this reply.

I'm just curious to know from you all if this is going to be a good investment for me. I'm thinking as I embrace the traveling lifestyle I know a converted van camper will save me ALOT of money on the road. However because I'm not familiar with this car I dont know if investing 4K on the car and another 1K for a camper will be worth it? i could just keep my kia -- not spend any money and have twice as much $$ to travel with -- and buy a tent/couch surf.

He said that the van has about 11K on the rebuilt motor.

Let me know what you all think? What would you do? What questions should I be asking him? Is there any other thing that could potentially need repair is I take the risk to buy? He tells me he is confident that the van is ready to cross country.

My delimma is i'm too afraid to buy a broken down Van Wagon and have a money pit as I trial and Error to fix it up. I'm very intrigued in a van that is ready to go and that i can just do normal maintenance and convert into a camper.

THANKS EVERYONE

Name:  Receipt.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  73.5 KBName:  Rec.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  63.1 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Personally I would never consider purchasing a vehicle this old without personally inspecting/driving 1st. Just so many potential bad things that could happen. Finding a seller that tells you the truth is a rare thing. Of course it could all work out fine, but if you're on a limited budget I would wait for a local van to show up. Florida isn't a bad place to search. Eventually a nice one will surface. If you buy this one, I guarantee a better one will show up in your back yard the day after . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE auto 300k, 1988 5spd 4wd 140k.

Jordan, There's a decent 88 cargo in orlando on craigslist now for 800 obo with 200k miles.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van Wagon

I have emailed texted and left voicemails for that guy in Orlando. No response! Always goes to vm!!

My my sistes father in law is a mechanic I'm going to meet with him Tuesday to call the Cali guys mechanic and I'll go from there.

Any my advice as to what I should ask him?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Jordan - I may be a little jaded, but I am with Tim on waiting for something closer.

When I bought mine, I believed I would have to travel to find a good one (they've been extinct here for many years)
    I travelled 1/2 way across the country and when I got there, I found the vehicle was NOT as described, unfortunately, I was already committed at that point.
    If it had been a local sale, I probably wouldn't have bought it.
    That isn't the case where you live, so just be patient and wait till you find the right one, sounds like you have several months to sort this out, so take your time.

Talking on the phone is good but its no substitute for a hands on inspection.
    While there is the option of hiring a shop to inspect it for you, finding a shop your comfortable with (and trust) can be difficult too.

While I am sure the current seller is honest and sincere, it still requires a leap of faith.
    What happens if you get the thing home and find out it needs other repairs, that would suck.

After my most recent car-purchase hunt I have added a couple of new rules to improve my process.
    If any of the following conditions appear, they earn an automatic fail.
    1) any vehicle that isn't registered in the sellers name.
    2) any vehicle that has "inconsistencies" that aren't EASILY explained.
    (things like panel gaps that aren't even, paint colour discrepancies between panels, odometers that seem to read a lot lower than condition indicates)
    3) vehicles without a verifiable service history (at least that of the current owner)

The last one is not as absolute,
    but any vehicle that has been owned for less than 1yr is highly suspect, less than 6 months is a walkaway.
    Especially if there's been major repairs within that time.

Good luck
    BB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van Wagon

So, I understand these vehicle are old and so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible before purchasing one. He mentioned I me the ac blows but is not cold. I aske about the heater and cruise control and he mentioned he doesn't know but he'll check. Heater is absolutely necessary for me bc i know how deathly cold it can get without one.

Cruise control and ac/heater ... Typically easy fixes on these vans or?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Quote Originally Posted by jordandr3a View Post
    So, I understand these vehicle are old and so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible before purchasing one. He mentioned I me the ac blows but is not cold. I aske about the heater and cruise control and he mentioned he doesn't know but he'll check. Heater is absolutely necessary for me bc i know how deathly cold it can get without one.

Cruise control and ac/heater ... Typically easy fixes on these vans or?
    If the AC isnt working when you buy it, dont even bother trying to fix it $$$$

You can see how fast a "Tune up" racks up in $$$$ if you read my thread, of course Mileage may vary because you dont know how it was driven or if it was neglected. If you are at UCF I do drive to UCF 3 times a week in my Van about 175 miles round trip depending on if I have somewhere to crash. You can check out my Van.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?2352-My-1986-Toyota-Van-LE-(Comprehensive-Tuneup)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE auto 300k, 1988 5spd 4wd 140k.

I went through the honeymoon phase with these vans also and almost bought one out of California and had it shipped yet it didn't materialize. IMO-If that's the way you want to go, it should be either a 2wd cream puff with low miles (too good to pass up) or a manual 4wd that is solid and for some lucky reason no one out there snatched it up. The East Coast has many nice 2wd's that pop up quite often, These guys giving you advice wouldn't make the move your about to make and they're on top of this game. For what you want this van for it needs to be one ready to go not any type of fixer upper. Put 50K miles on it hassle free, learn as you go,and enjoy driving a solid van. If you buy one in need of a lot of work, that may alter your confidence when traveling out of your comfort zone even after the repairs. -Fort Meyers CL has a 4wd auto 88 titled as toyota minivan. The guys name is Melius-there aren't any pictures posted and he says its in good shape. Arrange to see it on Saturdays only (he works) cause you won't understand him on the phone. I haven't been able to get down there so can't comment. Raleigh NC has a real decent manual 2wd for 3900 w/88k miles). I bet you fly there with 2500 its yours- and that one will last! Pace yourself Jordan...They're out there.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Jordan - is this the van your looking at?
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4758836555.html ?
    If so, the body looks pretty lumpy.

While heater and cruise systems are generally easily addressed, anything and everything can get expensive, depending on whats at fault.
    AC repairs can run the gamut but the general rule of thumb (for ANY vehicle) is to plan on a couple grand (min) to resurrect a system that hasn't been operational for some time.

If the AC blows but isn't cold, I would NOT assume it "just needs a recharge". (Have seen that line quoted in ads so many times it is no longer funny.)
    Seriously, if that was ALL it needed, don't ya think the seller would charge the system, so that he could command a higher price?

If I were in your position I wouldn't want to spend 25% of my available capital on shipping charges.
    I would also consider $3300 for a 2wd to be top dollar and I would also expect it to be near perfect in all respects, for that price.
    (what a seller has put into repairs has NO bearing on what the vehicle's actual worth is, that is determined by market forces alone)
    Having a rebuilt engine does not ADD value to a vehicle, said another way - a $3000 vehicle is still only worth $3000, even with the rebuilt motor.
    BB

PS - If I am reading those invoices correctly, it looks like they overhauled the top end and did some cooling system repairs in July.
    Then in September they installed a "Crate" engine.
    Sounds like they're tired of tossing money at the thing and want it to be on someone else's dime from now on??
    Last edited by Burntboot; 11-16-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by highwind View Post
    If the AC isnt working when you buy it, dont even bother trying to fix it $$$$

You can see how fast a "Tune up" racks up in $$$$ if you read my thread, of course Mileage may vary because you dont know how it was driven or if it was neglected. If you are at UCF I do drive to UCF 3 times a week in my Van about 175 miles round trip depending on if I have somewhere to crash. You can check out my Van.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?2352-My-1986-Toyota-Van-LE-(Comprehensive-Tuneup)

Yes! Yes Yes! I would love to be able to meet with you. That would be amazing.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Jordan - is this the van your looking at?
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4758836555.html ?
    If so, the body looks pretty lumpy.

While heater and cruise systems are generally easily addressed, anything and everything can get expensive, depending on whats at fault.
    AC repairs can run the gamut but the general rule of thumb (for ANY vehicle) is to plan on a couple grand (min) to resurrect a system that hasn't been operational for some time.

If the AC blows but isn't cold, I would NOT assume it "just needs a recharge". (Have seen that line quoted in ads so many times it is no longer funny.)
    Seriously, if that was ALL it needed, don't ya think the seller would charge the system, so that he could command a higher price?

If I were in your position I wouldn't want to spend 25% of my available capital on shipping charges.
    I would also consider $3300 for a 2wd to be top dollar and I would also expect it to be near perfect in all respects, for that price.
    (what a seller has put into repairs has NO bearing on what the vehicle's actual worth is, that is determined by market forces alone)
    Having a rebuilt engine does not ADD value to a vehicle, said another way - a $3000 vehicle is still only worth $3000, even with the rebuilt motor.
    BB

PS - If I am reading those invoices correctly, it looks like they overhauled the top end and did some cooling system repairs in July.
    Then in September they installed a "Crate" engine.
    Sounds like they're tired of tossing money at the thing and want it to be on someone else's dime from now on??

Yes that is the van.
    Well you know, this is exactly why i joined this site. I want to educate myself as much as possible so i can make a low risk move. Its a very tough decision and i want to be smart and not impulsive. I will consider everything you have said. Seems as though I should pass huh?

I have plans to meet with a member of my family this tuesday to call the cali guys mechanic. I'll probably decline the van but at least I can learn more about these vehicles.

Thank you for everyones help. Obviously I'm super excited about the "idea" .. so its so helpful to have people with experience snap me into reality.

I'll be sure to stay connected and share with you all where my journey takes me..

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by austinfromflorida View Post
    I went through the honeymoon phase with these vans also and almost bought one out of California and had it shipped yet it didn't materialize. IMO-If that's the way you want to go, it should be either a 2wd cream puff with low miles (too good to pass up) or a manual 4wd that is solid and for some lucky reason no one out there snatched it up. The East Coast has many nice 2wd's that pop up quite often, These guys giving you advice wouldn't make the move your about to make and they're on top of this game. For what you want this van for it needs to be one ready to go not any type of fixer upper. Put 50K miles on it hassle free, learn as you go,and enjoy driving a solid van. If you buy one in need of a lot of work, that may alter your confidence when traveling out of your comfort zone even after the repairs. -Fort Meyers CL has a 4wd auto 88 titled as toyota minivan. The guys name is Melius-there aren't any pictures posted and he says its in good shape. Arrange to see it on Saturdays only (he works) cause you won't understand him on the phone. I haven't been able to get down there so can't comment. Raleigh NC has a real decent manual 2wd for 3900 w/88k miles). I bet you fly there with 2500 its yours- and that one will last! Pace yourself Jordan...They're out there.

Hey thanks alot. I will check out the one in Fort Meyers and Raleigh.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

AC can definitely get expensive, but you can do without it if you stick to cooler areas of the country. You do need a working heater, both for safety (keeping you warm and the windshield clear) and to drain excess heat from the engine if your gauge starts creeping up. That system is fairly simple and not too terribly expensive. Often you just need to lube the cable and maybe find a decent control spider (I'm sure there are threads on that) in a junkyard.

No matter how pristine the van you find is, it will be 25+ years old. You cannot expect it to go 50k without needing some care now and then. The problems are often simple and relatively cheap to fix but they will happen - carry tools with you and get to know how things work. You'll learn a lot in the process.