Thread: Whining speedometer on a cold morning

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

Whining speedometer on a cold morning

Hi guys- Cold weather has arrived in the Pacific Northwest in a big way and my 87 LE is complaining a little bit. This morning as I accelerated on the way to work the speedometer started whining VERY loudly within the dash and began to act crazy. I wanted to stop and figure it out but I had to get to work so I kept going and eventually the whining stopped and the needle quit working entirely. So something likely gave out, probably within the dash.

Has anybody else had this happen?

-Justin

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

Re: Whining speedometer on a cold morning

So I guess speedometer trouble in extreme cold is fairly normal.......Still, with as much noise as it made, I was sure something had broken. I took it all apart tonight and moved the needle back to zero mph (it was straight down). I examined the back and unsnapped the connection, checked it out, and then resnapped it in. I drove it before I put it back together-the gauge is back to working perfectly. Just to be sure I did check the bottom end of the cable where it goes into the adapter and then into the transmission. Everything there looked fine as well.

Weird. I am not going to complain. It was just so friggin loud. Like a turbo going bad on a diesel. And then the abrupt stop. Moral of this story---when it's -2 outside, let your van warm up for longer than five minutes.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Whining speedometer on a cold morning

JF - It is a common fault.
    I have had that issue in many older cars including both the van and T4, I don't know the exact cause but have found that removing and cleaning the cable then greasing it lightly with a quality grease (that won't freeze) seems to help the situation.