Thread: Rear Seat Situation

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van Le

Rear Seat Situation

Currently the rear portion of my van looks like so:
    Name:  IMG_20141115_102709386_HDR.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  96.9 KB

The previous owner gave me the seats that came with the van but they're pretty destroyed
    Name:  IMG_20141115_103100558.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  97.3 KB

I picked up some seats off of craigslist from a 1986 which look like this
    Name:  IMG_20141115_103126682_HDR.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  96.0 KB

However the situation arises when it comes to mounting.
    The old seats mount with what appears to be 8 bolts:
    Name:  IMG_20141115_102313388.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  99.3 KB

And the new seats from the 1986 appear to need some sort of quick release track?
    Name:  IMG_20141115_102116296.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  90.1 KB
    Close up:
    Name:  IMG_20141115_102133805_HDR.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  93.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20141115_102123149.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  88.8 KB

Does anyone know what I need to mount the new seats?

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Re: 1985 Van Rear Seat Situation

Looks like your van came with factory seats, then someone put in aftermarket seats. The small divots inboard of the wheelwells should have small bars that your newer seats lock onto. So far as i know 84 85 seats and 86 and up are the same in the rear

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van Le

Quote Originally Posted by gushaman View Post
    Looks like your van came with factory seats, then someone put in aftermarket seats. The small divots inboard of the wheelwells should have small bars that your newer seats lock onto. So far as i know 84 85 seats and 86 and up are the same in the rear
    So it seems I just need to source those bars? Do you know if they're available NOS or aftermarket?

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

I imagine you will only find them in junkyards. I took a pic but cant post from mobile

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 toyota van 4x4

toyota van seats

I have a 4x4 and a standard van that I got seats from other vans. The floor in both vans look like this and the seats bottom look like the 2nd picture. Is there an adapter I have to get or do I have the wrong seats and have to get them modified? Either way would love to hear back on how do I make the bottom of the seats fit the interior.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: toyota van seats

It's hard to tell from your pictures but the bench seat vans and the captains chair(middle row) have different connections. Also the conversion vans have a whole other custom interior depending on the conversion company.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 toyota van 4x4

Yes, sorry the photo isn't great. If I run out of ideas I might take it to a Van shop in Portland Would love to hear other feedback when possible.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I would need more information to know for sure (VIN would help), but it appears to me that you have a cargo conversion van. Cargo conversions are "bare bones" cargo vans sold to aftermarket conversion companies. These companies would then build custom interiors, add windows, custom paint jobs, & other accessories then resell. Back in the 80's There were many such conversion companies but their popularity dwindled over the years and most have since gone out of business. Today the problem with these vans is availability of replacement parts. Many parts were custom built and/or purchased from outside aftermarket vendors. Even back then these were "very limited" production runs and parts are all but impossible to find today. This means you won't find "plug n play" parts but if you're handy you can repair/fabricate as required. You can convert by taking seats from junk yard vans, but it's very unlikely you'll find things that mount the same way. You will most likely need to fabricate, drill holes, bolt, & weld to make seats from other vans mount safely. Good luck. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 toyota van 4x4

Thank you guys and Tim you are right there are many configurations. I did take your advise and im going to do a total modification (welding bolting and such) to be able to use a middle and rear bench seats out of an LE into a cargo van.

Once I started to take the carpet off and I came upon this steel bar come across the can floor.

What is interesting is that same bar is right over the area where normally you would drop in your seats on the LE. I thought it was because of the 4x4 option and that it would give more strength to the floor.

Then I checked my 2wd van and found the same bar going across that same area.

Which leads me to believe that Toyota did not want people taking seats from a NON LE version van and installing it in a cargo van because there are no seat belts installed in the non LE versions.

My questions..... To anyone's knowledge does that bar picture here serve any other purposes then the conclusion I came to? I do need to remove it in order for me to install the seats! Please advise

Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

You can make adapters out of 2x4's and cover them or paint them. The seats sit 2 inches higher but it works great in my van.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Ripping apart my floors today in my 4x4 (captains chair van) just as I was about to modify the floor to fit the bench seats I found these. Bench seats fit right in. I don't have that metal bar.