Thread: Best bet with an oil pan?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

Best bet with an oil pan?

Hi!

In getting my van back up and running after the water fiasco, I went today to get the oil changed. However, Jiffy Lube said they wouldn't touch it because there was a butterfly plug as the drain plug for the oil. They told me that they would be happy to change it after I replaced the oil pan.

I do need an oil pan regardless, but I called the Toyota Dealership near me with no luck and then called to find an aftermarket one with no luck.

Firstly, is the oil pan difficult to swap out?
    Secondly, is the junk yard my best bet?

Thank you all!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Best bet with an oil pan?

Round these parts rust takes them ahead of their time, replaced mine a couple of years back and got a new one from Toyota.

If you could find something decent at the P&P that could work but maybe try another dealer.
    I have found that some parts guys find it easier to say NLA than actually going to the trouble of looking it up, just a thought.
    BB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Round these parts rust takes them ahead of their time, replaced mine a couple of years back and got a new one from Toyota.

If you could find something decent at the P&P that could work but maybe try another dealer.
    I have found that some parts guys find it easier to say NLA than actually going to the trouble of looking it up, just a thought.
    BB
    Geat idea BB! Do you by chance know the part number for the oil pan in an '85 Toyota Van?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

12101-71031
    Not sure if this has the oil level sensor or not. Here's the link to where I found it:http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...wd=&origin=pla
    On the bottom of the page it lists variant applications and appears to cover all vans.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    12101-71031
    Not sure if this has the oil level sensor or not. Here's the link to where I found it:http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...wd=&origin=pla
    On the bottom of the page it lists variant applications and appears to cover all vans.
    Thanks a lot! Is the price usually around $120? I thought it would be around $60?

Also, does anyone know how hard this replacing the oil pan is to do? On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being most difficult?

Thank you so much

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaVanNut View Post
    Not unless you want an automatic transmission pan. An engine oil pan for an 85 van is Toyota part #12101-71030. Depending on where you shop it sells for as little as $42.00. Here's a link to it on the Toyota Parts Overstock site: http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...210171030.html

PS: There seems to be several oil pans for these vans. In order to be sure you get the right one order using your VIN number & date of manufacture. If you post your VIN and manufacture date here I'll look it up based on that and verify part number. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Not unless you want an automatic transmission pan. An engine oil pan for an 85 van is Toyota part #12101-71030. Depending on where you shop it sells for as little as $42.00. Here's a link to it on the Toyota Parts Overstock site: http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...210171030.html

PS: There seems to be several oil pans for these vans. In order to be sure you get the right one order using your VIN number & date of manufacture. If you post your VIN and manufacture date here I'll look it up based on that and verify part number. Tim
    I would so greatly appreciate that Tim. I am PMing the incitement to you right now

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, this is the oil pan you need (12101-71030). Now let's just hope it's still available. Keep us posted. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Yes, this is the oil pan you need (12101-71030). Now let's just hope it's still available. Keep us posted. Tim
    Hey Tim, just keeping you posted. So I ordered it and hoped hard, but alas I just got the email that the part is discontinued :(

Any other thoughts on this? I definitely don't want to move it with the oil like this

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There are other oil pans listed for the van (for different years and/or configurations). Unfortunately I don't know what the difference is. I suspect they will interchange, but don't know that for sure. There's at least one more cheap one, but based on price, I suspect it too will be unavailable. It's part #12101-71010. because of the price I would consider it worth a shot. If however it's unavailable I think you'll be stuck trying to make the $160 one work. Good luck. Tim

PS: There's always repair of your old one as an option. If it's not all rusted up, it can be repaired. In some cases you can drill the hole bigger and rethread. If it's really bad the old bung can be cut out and a new one welded in place. The pan would need to be dropped, but typically these type repairs are not that difficult. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

There are other oil pans listed for the van (for different years and/or configurations). Unfortunately I don't know what the difference is. I suspect they will interchange, but don't know that for sure. There's at least one more cheap one, but based on price, I suspect it too will be unavailable. It's part #12101-71010. because of the price I would consider it worth a shot. If however it's unavailable I think you'll be stuck trying to make the $160 one work. Good luck. Tim

PS: There's always repair of your old one as an option. If it's not all rusted up, it can be repaired. In some cases you can drill the hole bigger and rethread. If it's really bad the old bung can be cut out and a new one welded in place. The pan would need to be dropped, but typically these type repairs are not that difficult. Tim
    Thanks a lot, Tim! I'm trying the part #12101-71010 right now, and will keep you updated! I really appreciate your help!