Thread: Check engine light steadily ON

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4x4 van Wagon 5 speed 91 VWMultivan

Check engine light steadily ON

Greetings !
    Don't know why after spending a day and half getting ready for a road trip a good portion of that loading food, camp gear, bicycle, gear, tools more food and gear I take off and as fate would have it my check engine light wasn't going off with restart or when I rolled around the the corner or whatever as it has for the last 30+K but staring me straight in the face- with 30 plus hours of driving in the great wide open before me it seemed uncomfortably bright.

With the great help of this forum I was able to track down a broken wire at the harness CONNECTOR to computer. It is the "T" wire as shown in the thread photo and diagram which is broken at where in connects to in this case the grey plug housing. The wire that is broken is a little bigger in diameter and has extra insulation and is solid black.
    I being one to want to fix things the right way or not at all...... is there a way to get the pin out of the harness and repair it fully? If I splice the black "T" wire and the "E 1" wire,which I do not like the sounds of is there a way to so as to make further forays into the computer area look and feel as done by someone who knew what they were doing ?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Check engine light steadily ON

Actually after cutting back into harness a bit this black wire is a repaired splice and is white an black in harness

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdcarty View Post
    Actually after cutting back into harness a bit this black wire is a repaired splice and is white an black in harness
    any ideas where I could find the significance of some code numbers ? specifically 21 and 51 ?

The mechanic repaired the broken wire by pulling a pin out of computer harness but nothing that changed .
    The Check Light is still on. He was able to get these two code numbers off of it. But he s puzzled.....
    According to his Shop Manual the wires off the harness are not colored in a sequense to match his Shop manual for the 88 van. Mine is built in 88 sold in 89 and is a 4X4 stick. Will this make a difference in the wireing ?? He has moved one wire which (the repaired wire was( #7 in 16 pin harness) to # 7 hole all of which is making me pretty nervous about the wireing over all. i did borow a wiring manual for an 88 which is the year of this cars manufacture whjich he is going to get into here .....but any advise is appreciated. I just keep dumping money into this van and love it and feel its a more soli vihicle than the Westfailia I also have .
    Much thanks !
    Last edited by dennisdcarty; 12-06-2014 at 07:27 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Welcome to TVT. Frankly, I didn't answer sooner because this has been hashed over sssssssssssssoooooooooo many times already. There is a search feature in the upper right corner of each forum page. You can also use Google or similar site to search (just add the term "toyotavantech" to your other terms). Here's a link to an article on our home page: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...vice-Connector. Near the end of this article there's a link to specific information for your year of van (tells what each code means). If these articles don't point you in the right direction, get familiar with the search feature and this should help a lot. If searching the site doesn't point you in the right direction, find a similar thread and ask your questions there. This helps keep future searches simple. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Welcome to TVT. Frankly, I didn't answer sooner because this has been hashed over sssssssssssssoooooooooo many times already. There is a search feature in the upper right corner of each forum page. You can also use Google or similar site to search (just add the term "toyotavantech" to your other terms). Here's a link to an article on our home page: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...vice-Connector. Near the end of this article there's a link to specific information for your year of van (tells what each code means). If these articles don't point you in the right direction, get familiar with the search feature and this should help a lot. If searching the site doesn't point you in the right direction, find a similar thread and ask your questions there. This helps keep future searches simple. Tim
    Tim, Thank you.....We have found two codes one is 21 an Oxy sensor and the other is 51 switch signal...Would you be able to elaborate on the switch signal code please if you are able?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

It could also be the Throttle Position Sensor-as per the codes. These break inside and you cannot tell from the outside from looking. If you haven't had to do this on your van you most likely do now! It's pretty easy, just look on this site and follow Tim's directions to a "T"-for Tim!
    There's a couple other things on the Code List it could be according to the code list but I'd start with TPS.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

TPS & o2 sensor failures are among the most common faults on aging vans. If I had those 2 codes & would likely just replace those parts as this will very likely resolve your issues. Here's links to a couple threads that should help. Tim

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...-Throttle-Body

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...or-part-number

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

To get that pin out of the harness, use a small jewelers screwdriver and run it along side the pin. Push wire slightly further in gently and then the screwdriver and it will push up a little plastic tab in the connector. Then just pull gently to remove. Just take your time and connector pins are pretty simple to remove. You could likely re-solder and be golden.

Also it is a great idea, especially on a road trip to get a copy of the FSM from the TIS site; they are factory PDF's and I think a 2 day subscription is ~$15 to download anything you wish!

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...pmanager/t3/ti

--Or the new print copy at Helm, Inc: but they ain't cheap (But they also work with the power off!)
    http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...elected_media=

Cheers!