Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snorkel ?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Snorkel ?

Has anyone ever installed or seen a "snorkel " installed on our vans? Wondered if it was possible with location of air intake...which I'm not exactly sure where that is?

I do a bit of off-road to a cabin in spring and summer and any small water crossing or larger puddle I hit my van bogs down and I loose my acceleration for a minute or so. Is this an air intake issue with the water? If not, I thought maybe electrical malfunction somewhere due to getting wet. Even around town during heavy rain I have to avoid the larger puddles...and that's just no fun...

Ps..been so busy with work, haven't had time to get on TVT as of late..feels real good to be back on, so glad too find it still alive! Thank you all!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Snorkel ?

If it only happens when it's wet outside, then I'd suspect the rubber gasket that goes between the distributor and the distributor cap (damaged or missing). On our vans there are 2 parts. Toyota part #19127-63010 & #19127-63020. Tim

PS: shanbot (member here) made an excellent post over on TVP (www.toyotavanpeople.com) about a snorkel mod a few years ago. Unfortunately the pictures were 90% of that thread. If I remember right, those pics were deleted when admin was doing something on the site, so that thread is all but worthless now. You might try PMing him to see if he would repost the thread here. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

At one point groovlow amd i talked about having a rotating tiny intake scoop just behind the drivers door. Ram air on sun, spin it around backwards in the rain. Not really the same, the filter box would be in the same spot.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I've toyed with the idea of a snorkel as well. Check your intake tube. The inlet is fairly low just behind the front bumper on the left. It runs down the frame rail and through the left wheel well. Look behind your tire for the black plastic tube. I think there's a connection joint in the wheel well. If there's a hole there or it's become disconnected in the wheel well maybe you're sucking in water being thrown up by the tire. I am familiar with the symptoms as I have sucked water in a few times while off-road. One time bad enough to require pulling the plugs and pumping it out as well as changing the oil three times to get all the water out. I've found if I can go through a water crossing at just the right speed it creates a bow wake and air pocket behind the bumper and I'll usually be okay. Usually......

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x4-snorkel-...BV7Xn9&vxp=mtr

this is the piece i got for my van. as u can obviously see, its not exactly our van, but with some mods i think it will fit. i have yet to try and mount it, nervous about cutting into the body, maybe if i install it someday i will post up pix and a how to.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The problem with that piece is it's for the wrong side. I've looked into snorkels for Mitsubishi Delicas before but they have the same problem.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

Nothing is gonna be bolt in for our vans. But this would probably be as close as it gets.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

I have been looking around for a snorkel as well. Would the intake be on the opposite side for RHD vans? I have a Japanese import and if it's reversed maybe one of those hiace snorks would work for me?

I was thinking about making one out of pvc too. Not quite as nice but i bet it could be done tastefully with a little effort

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 Town Ace TD 5-speed 4WD

The intake on my TownAce is routed above the front bumper, right behind the light bar between the headlights. I can't see a way to make the HiAce one work. I'd really like one too.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

The actual airbox is behind the driver side seat. You don't have to connect it to the factory intake at the bumper

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

That's true, but you're talking about cutting a hole in the side of the van? Could work I suppose. The HiAce already has a hole there. Perhaps it's as simple as using the HiAce snorkel kit inlet as a template and getting brave with the cutting wheel.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

Yup, I bought the hiace snorkel and plan to do just that.

have yet to summon the courage to start cutting 😐

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

That's pretty exciting. When you do it make sure to take some pics of the work involved. It will be a valuable piece of info.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

Definitely will do

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Any updates? Any photos? My spacevan may be going to burningman and a snorkel would prevent a lot of dust being sucked up.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)

I took my 86 to Burning Man twice. Nothing stops the dust. Bring an extra air filter and swap it out once you hit pavement after the event. When you turn onto the Playa when you get there, close your vents, turn off your blower, and keep your windows rolled up unless you are stopped. It helps but by the end of the week you will have it everywhere anyway.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Several times a year I access a cabin near Zion. On my van my rear door lets in a ton of dust in. Could be the way the draft swirls behind the van and the rear bumper I think acts like a scoop at times gathering dust up into the base of the door. Before I hit the dirt and washboards I run a few layers of tape around the interior cracks of the closed door. This normally works well to keep it out. Make sure your battery panel inside also has a good seal when shut...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4 85 2wd

Swifer dusters make short work of cleaning up the inside.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Quote Originally Posted by FCDRIFT View Post
    have yet to summon the courage to start cutting 😐
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralTech View Post
    Any updates? Any photos?
    if you haven't cut it yet, i am shopping for one

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

I've looked at the intake several times, measured, looked again and i know right where I'd cut but I've not had the balls to do it. No going back so I've been skittish. I think if there was a nice looking snork that fit well I'd do it but I'm not too excited about cutting and then mounting my own homemade pipe job. I think i could make it look ok but not as nice as a real molded one you see for so many other vehicles.

I think I'd do it if i was always in the dirt but I'm mostly driving in L.A. traffic.

I'd love to see someone try it first and maybe I'll grow a pair