Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dead alternator: buying parts to repair it or buying a good rebuild (Denso)?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 toyota previa

Re: best alternator brand?

What is the part number? (I have a 92 Previa)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

do any good aftermarket manufacturers make upgraded alternators? i plan to run a sound system as well as inverter and a few other things and dont want to burn this alternator out, if i could spend some extra money and get something higher than 70 amps then i would

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    do any good aftermarket manufacturers make upgraded alternators? i plan to run a sound system as well as inverter and a few other things and dont want to burn this alternator out, if i could spend some extra money and get something higher than 70 amps then i would
    Have you seen this: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...5167&#post5167

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

i hadnt seen that...looks about exactly what i was looking for though thank you!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

just installed a Bosch alternator in mine, we'll see how it holds up.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

Denso alternator source in canada?

does anybody know where i can buy a genuine denso alternator in canada? ive only found one on partsgeek.com, but they wont ship up to BC. alternatively, if anybody has an old denso alternator thats kicking around that needs new brushes or whatever id love to take it off your hands!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Re: Denso alternator source in canada?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

Re: Denso alternator source in canada?

wow not a bad price...thank you very much!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

I received an ACDELCO alternator from Rock Auto and the bottom bolt sleeve mount is too long - the thing won't fit in the lower alternator mount. Time to order a DENSO alternator.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

maybe not! was it just sliiiiightly too big on the bottom bracket? i just dealt with this two days ago on the ac delco alternator i purchased. on the bottom bracket that holds the alternator, there is a bushing on the front bolt hole that can be moved slightly to accompany bigger or smaller alternators. you may have to push this bushing out slightly to make yours fit. what i did is took the bracket off, stuck a bolt going through the hole with the open end of a wrench larger than the bushing on the other side, so that when you tighten the bolt down it presses the bushing into the bracket. sorry if this wasnt explained very well, if you have any other questions about how i did it let me know and ill try to explain it better!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

maybe not! was it just sliiiiightly too big on the bottom bracket? i just dealt with this two days ago on the ac delco alternator i purchased. on the bottom bracket that holds the alternator, there is a bushing on the front bolt hole that can be moved slightly to accompany bigger or smaller alternators. you may have to push this bushing out slightly to make yours fit. what i did is took the bracket off, stuck a bolt going through the hole with the open end of a wrench larger than the bushing on the other side, so that when you tighten the bolt down it presses the bushing into the bracket. sorry if this wasnt explained very well, if you have any other questions about how i did it let me know and ill try to explain it better!
    Yes! That's the problem. Thank you! I'll try it without removing the bracket.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

glad i could help! the bottom bracket is held on by two bolts, i fought with mine for hours until i just took it off, took me about 5 minutes after that. good luck!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

glad i could help! the bottom bracket is held on by two bolts, i fought with mine for hours until i just took it off, took me about 5 minutes after that. good luck!
    Okay. I successfully moved the bushing. I used a 17mm wrench on the front side of the mount and used a 10mm threaded bolt with 14mm heads, and some big washers, to press the bushing. EDIT: BTW I was able to move the bushing without removing the bracket, although I did loosen one of the bracket bolts and retighten it before deciding not to go that route.

Now it appears that the top mount screw hole is about a millimeter too low and I can't get the bolt into the upper adjustable slider mount. Did you have to deal with that problem?
    Last edited by fuquan; 04-24-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

i did have that problem a bit, it was to the point where i could alllmost get the bolt on the top mount to thread into the alternator, but almost not. i wound up loosely getting the top bolt first, then sliding the alternator into the bottom mount and getting that bolt through, then tightening the top fully. i had assumed i had bent the lower mount from my first attempts at hammering the bushing through, its strange that you had the same problem. regardless, just keep trying and im sure it will line up eventually

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

i did have that problem a bit, it was to the point where i could alllmost get the bolt on the top mount to thread into the alternator, but almost not. i wound up loosely getting the top bolt first, then sliding the alternator into the bottom mount and getting that bolt through, then tightening the top fully. i had assumed i had bent the lower mount from my first attempts at hammering the bushing through, its strange that you had the same problem. regardless, just keep trying and im sure it will line up eventually
    Turns out there is some play in the lower mount. I loosened the two bolts holding the lower mount and lifted the mount as high as I could (couple millimeters at best), then tightened it up. That little bit of lift was all I needed to get the clearance needed to easily insert the upper mount/adjuster bolt, after first inserting the lower alternator mounting bolt.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van le

that makes sense! so everythings up and running for you now?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

that makes sense! so everythings up and running for you now?
    That's right. The AC Delco is charging the battery. If I could do it all over, I would have spent more on a Denso alternator. But I was in a hurry and forced myself to make a decision - any decision - so I just ordered whatever looked good at rockauto. My van is not a daily driver, it's mostly just for summer camping fun times . So perhaps this alternator will last me a long time.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Previa

Have a Bosch alternator also. Not sure if it is the best, but I have no problems so far.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 DX 5-spd

When my alternator went out I went to a junkyard and looked for a car that had a similar denso alternator with the same 3 prong plug on it. I took it apart and got the brushes, diodes, and voltage regulator for 10 bucks. Rebuilding is way cheaper than buying a new denso alternator. 30k miles later everything is fine. No christmas lights, no dead battery.