Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to lower or raise torsion bar

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

Re: How to lower or raise torsion bar

thought i'd post my related results in the correct thread:

get those torsion bars adjusted correctly! i just did mine and man what a difference! started under 8" ground clearance and got them adjusted so van is sitting about 9" - close to what the manual calls out

my van has new shocks but i think they were bottoming out before as i could feel every minor bump and lots of squeaks and noise. used to dread going over rough roads but no more

made a huge difference. drivers side was slightly lower than passenger side as well

you'll need (2) two 22mm wrenches - got a couple at the used tool shop near my house.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota van awd 1988

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post

Hi Tim, there is something i don't understand how to adjust ground clearance. I thought torsion bar adjusting nut was only for adjusting front ground clearance. How do you adjust rear ground clearance? there is no picture showing it. where i'm wrong?

Also i took a picture of the manual showing how adjust ground clearance, but it's not the same as your pic... the difference is 2wd vs 4wd?

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, this is the 2wd section of the forum. The page I posted shows OE recommended height for the 2wd (note tire size), yours is showing 4wd. Torsion suspension is only on the front. Rear has coil springs (except some of the 2wd cargo vans). Coils can sag, but not typically an issue with these vans. If yours have been cut (for lowering), then you'll need to replace the rear coils. If you are trying to raise the van (beyond OE specs), then that's another story. Most people just crank the front torsions beyond what they are intended. Although this increases clearance, it will also negatively affect ride comfort and stability. If you want to raise the rear coil springs (beyond OE specs) you will need to make more drastic changes. Some of the possible ways are with air bags, longer springs (like from a Ford Aerostar), or spring spacers. Several different ways have been posted on the forum before.......I'm sure a search would yield more info. Tim

PS: We have a 4wd specific forum section just for things that are different with the 4wd (this subject qualifies). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota van awd 1988

Yes, this is the 2wd section of the forum. The page I posted shows OE recommended height for the 2wd (note tire size), yours is showing 4wd. Torsion suspension is only on the front. Rear has coil springs (except some of the 2wd cargo vans). Coils can sag, but not typically an issue with these vans. If yours have been cut (for lowering), then you'll need to replace the rear coils. If you are trying to raise the van (beyond OE specs), then that's another story. Most people just crank the front torsions beyond what they are intended. Although this increases clearance, it will also negatively affect ride comfort and stability. If you want to raise the rear coil springs (beyond OE specs) you will need to make more drastic changes. Some of the possible ways are with air bags, longer springs (like from a Ford Aerostar), or spring spacers. Several different ways have been posted on the forum before.......I'm sure a search would yield more info. Tim

PS: We have a 4wd specific forum section just for things that are different with the 4wd (this subject qualifies). Tim
    I just want to reach OE specs, no modifications or raising the van. I just want to reach the best alignment . But for rear ground clearance, what is the reference? there is no pic showing it like the front (where to take measures).

I posted the same message on 4wd section, but i thought posting it here also was a good idea because all vans have torsion bars, if i do abstraction of 2wd/4wd différents specs.

Thanks Tim.
    Last edited by filterway; 10-17-2017 at 02:30 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's because the front is adjustable and the rear is not (it sits where it's going to sit). If you notice it sagging, then it might be time for new springs.........otherwise, it should be good. IMO it's not worth worrying about unless it gives you reason (enough things in this world to worry about, don't go looking for more) Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota van awd 1988

That's because the front is adjustable and the rear is not (it sits where it's going to sit). If you notice it sagging, then it might be time for new springs.........otherwise, it should be good. IMO it's not worth worrying about unless it gives you reason (enough things in this world to worry about, don't go looking for more) Tim
    If it works, don't fix it lol!!! winter is coming so i will stop van repairs (or improvement) here

Jerome

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    White 89 LE, 2WD.

Hey all -

So i've been reading the threads and gathering info on the torsion bar, front end assembly, etc. and am feeling confident enough to try to swap out my upper arm(s). The left side is fine, but the right side - I can't handle the squawking anymore. I've been spraying it with tons of sh!t and it's just getting worse. I have replacement arms, with bushings already pressed.

How big of a job am I looking at?
    Should I do both left and right.
    Should I do lower arms too?? (if it's not broke dont fix it?)
    Any specific challenges/tips to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

-terry