Thread: Brake Questions

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Brake Questions

Are all the brake rotors the same from 86-89?

What about the calipers from 84-86? Are they the same?

Last time I checked I believe the rotors from 84-85 are different from 86.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Brake Questions

Strictly talking 2wd vans, rotors from 84 - 85 (Toyota part #43512-28030) are all the same, then all rotors from 86 - 89 (Toyota part #43512-28050) are the same.

Regarding calipers, 84 - 85 are all the same (47730-28030 R/H & 47750-28030 L/H). 86 is a unique year for calipers as they are different from all the other years (47730-28050 R/H & 47750-28050 L/H). 87 - 89 calipers are all the same (47730-28100 R/H & 47750-28100).

All 4wd vans (87 - 89) share the same rotors (43512-28040) and the same calipers (47730-28060 R/H & 47750-28060 L/H).

I've never tried to interchange the different 2wd parts, so I'm not sure what the differences are or if it's even possible. As long as parts are available for the year van I'm working on I probably won't ever try to interchange. Forget about interchanging 4wd parts with 2wd. There are some major & obvious differences between 2wd parts and 4wd parts (no chance of an interchange). Tim

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Lets say I wanted to convert my 86 Vans brakes (caliper, rotor) so that they were compatible with the 87-89? What would be involved? Simply getting the hub spindle and arm assembly and installing it I assume?

A while back me and a friend went to a junk yard and got the whole assembly off of an 85 van and put it on the left side of my van. Since then I have been having issues getting different rotors calipers etc. And I dont want to deal with 86 if the caliper is unique to that year (Just sounds harder to get parts) so I want to convert it to a 87-89 system.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I've never tried to interchange the different 2wd parts, so I'm not sure what the differences are or if it's even possible. As long as parts are available for the year van I'm working on I probably won't ever try to interchange.......................
    I can't imagine them being too different, but since you can still get parts for the 86, what does it matter? Why complicate things? If you really want to know, buy the newer parts and try to install them . Perhaps somebody else will chime in that has already been there, done that. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by mahleek87 View Post
    A while back me and a friend went to a junk yard and got the whole assembly off of an 85 van and put it on the left side of my van. Since then I have been having issues getting different rotors calipers etc. And I dont want to deal with 86 if the caliper is unique to that year (Just sounds harder to get parts) so I want to convert it to a 87-89 system.
    Disregard my smart ass remarks in my last post, I failed to read this part of your post. Personally I like to keep my vehicles true to the year they are (makes future parts searches easier), but can understand wanting to go with the 87 - 89 parts. I guess you'll need to put both your 86 and 89 up on jack stands and compare front ends. whatever makes them different are the parts you'll need to purchase. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):

Disregard my smart ass remarks in my last post, I failed to read this part of your post. Personally I like to keep my vehicles true to the year they are (makes future parts searches easier), but can understand wanting to go with the 87 - 89 parts. I guess you'll need to put both your 86 and 89 up on jack stands and compare front ends. whatever makes them different are the parts you'll need to purchase. Good luck. Tim
    LOL all good man...

Well. I found a 89 van at a junkyard online and it looks like they want $35 each plus shipping for the whole assembly on each side. Spindle, Hub, rotor and arm which connects to the ball joints I think.

The reason I would rather just convert both sides left and right to a 87-89 system is I assume since they were used in 3 years that there are more parts available for it. It doesnt make sense almost to me to try to find a 86 assembly for my left side because the caliper was unique to that year. I hope you get what Im trying to say. If the 86 caliper was different from all the different years I assume it will be harder to find in the future.

Plus I just ordered calipers for my 89 van from rock auto and I got the centrix brand, seem to have good reviews. My goal is to get parts that last as long as they can because on average in my 86 because the left side was sticking I have been changing my pads on average every 9 months and am annoyed of it.

My Van(s):

What kind of caliper hose do you guys use? The OEM one? Or is there a better higher performance longer lasting one we can get?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

IMO, OEM is best, but I'm good with AM here. Years ago I put some expensive high performance steel braided hoses on my 69 Camaro. Didn't really notice any performance increase, but I certainly noticed the loss of brakes that occurred after one of them sprung a leak (lasted a whole 6 months). I've never had a failure with stock hoses, nor have I had performance problems. Since then I've only purchased the inexpensive hoses and they've done just fine. Tim

My Van(s):

Name:  image(1).jpg
Views: 420
Size:  13.2 KB

I am about to do a brake job on my 89 van and wanted to know if I should use this fluid. I think the manual calls for dot 3 would this be fine? Any issue with using synthetic? I want nothing but the best for it. Just spent alot of money buying parts. $48.00 per caliper hose OEM Toyota expensive!!! Centrix brake calipers, toyota pads and wagner rotors. I also bought the upper and lower ball joints from toyota for the left side as my mechanic said they are going bad. The reason I bought the caliper hoses was because my mechanic said sometimes the hose goes bad which causes the caliper to not work properly. He said your caliper still may be good but I have opted for him to replace them anyways since they are original and the van has 193K on it.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's a good option. Just avoid DOT 5 as that is silicone based. FYI, Dot 5 is a superior fluid (arguably the best), but it won't mix with the other types. DOT 5 can only be used after complete flushing of the lines and components. The only way to completely flush components is to either disassemble or replace. When components are removed, brake lines can be flushed with rubbing alcohol followed by compressed air (big job). Switching to a synthetic DOT 3, DOT 4 fluid does not require any of this so it's a much simpler solution. BTW, standard DOT 3 fluid is fine if you flush every 5 years. The problem with standard DOT 3 is it absorbs moisture. Moisture reduces boiling temps and creates corrosion problems inside the system. Tim

My Van(s):

I did some soul searching and investigation between my two vans today and answered my questions so I thought I should share.

The 85-89 caliper brackets are all the same so you can use whatever caliper you want. Preferably the 89 is probably the best since it is the most available one on Rock Auto last time I checked. The 89 caliper does look a little different but still has the same mounts.

The brake hoses for 86 vans are different from 89. The caliper side will screw on and is the same but the other side is not. So for my case since Im doing the work on my 86 this wont even matter. I bought these hoses for my 89 initially but my mechanic told me that they werent the right ones. Thats when I examined and found they were different.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

All 4wd vans (87 - 89) share the same rotors
    Recently found out that they're all 5 lug and the Hiace is 6 lug.

Any part numbers available?
    Rotors not found here http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_J_198...07G-JRPES.html

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Ace MM View Post
    Recently found out that they're all 5 lug and the Hiace is 6 lug.

Any part numbers available?
    Rotors not found here http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_J_198...07G-JRPES.html
    I guess I should have clarified that statement was only intended to apply to US market vans (sorry). I have no idea where to get parts for foreign (to USA) markets. I would recommend posting your question in the diesel van section as those guys would have better information on how/where to get parts. Tim