Thread: Lifter sticking ''Quart of Diesel?''

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE auto 300k, 1988 5spd 4wd 140k.

Lifter sticking ''Quart of Diesel?''

I Have a tick in the head of my new van which I believe is a stuck lifter. It wasn't there on the 10 hour drive back to its new home and either was the steady oil leak, both problems occurred after sitting for a few weeks in the barn out back. I talked with a man whom told me to drain out a quart of oil and add 1 quart of Diesel fuel. Start engine and let warm to operating temperature, shut off let cool all the way down and repeat process a couple of times. drain and replace oil. He said there's a detergent in diesel that cleans residues from the engine. Is this risky with seals or any internal components? I'd like not to try until confirming some feed back from you all-.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Lifter sticking ''Quart of Diesel?''

I've heard stuff like that too. Some guys say to use a quart of transmission fluid for the same reasons. Personally I prefer to make mechanical repairs rather than mess with additives as I consider them "witch doctor repairs". There is some merit to what he's saying, the question is (as you touched on) "What other possible side effects will there be?" One of the biggest worries with old engines is sludge build-up. What if you have a bunch of engine sludge harmlessly coating internal surfaces?.........What if the the use of such products breaks them free? Now you could have chunks of garbage floating around plugging up your oil pump pick-up screen and other passage ways. Of course this could all be fine with no ill effects............who knows?

FWIW, I had a van that sat for about 5 years and when I started using it again it had a lifter knock (very loud). I figured it would quiet as it warmed up, but I ran it hard for 1/2 hr and it was still very loud. After it sat for 2 or 3 hrs I went back out to move it and no more noise! All I'm saying is run it at least off and on for a day or so before getting too worried about it. If it doesn't go away, then I'd identify and replace the offending part. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks Tim, I haven't ran it hard since the noise, I'll report with the process.. (hopefully the progress)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I pulled the plug wires and on the 3rd and 4th wires there was a bit of oil on them. The plugs where dry and firing, could this be a symptom of the lifter sticking and oil forcing out somehow? I'm reading up on the upper ticking noises and trying to steer towards a diagnoses such as stuck lifters, piston slap, exhaust, or injectors before I dissect, any thoughts?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Oil on the wires is a symptom of failed spark plug tube seals. These are cheap and easy to replace. Just pull the plug, grab the tube and pull it out. There's a black rubber o-ring type seal near the top. Just slide the old one off and slide the new one on (although I'm guessing the old one will break-off). Tim