Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Level Sensor issues

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

Oil Level Sensor issues

Hi, what exactly are these two parts? There is a part on the inside and a part on the side. This is the new oil pan I am about to put on. What do I do with these parts? Should I use anything from the old pan?

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks so much for any help!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: Question About Inside of Oil Pan

I believe this is the oil level sensor? Maybe while I'm down here I can install a new oil level sensor? Does anyone know which part number this is?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

That is indeed the oil level sensor and it is all one part.
    That one looks particularly unhappy.
    I think the part number is 89491-27020 but you would want to verify that to be sure.
    You'll wanna sit down before you look at the price though.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    That is indeed the oil level sensor and it is all one part.
    That one looks particularly unhappy.
    I think the part number is 89491-27020 but you would want to verify that to be sure.
    You'll wanna sit down before you look at the price though.
    $200?!

I just ordered this one for $2, should I cancel it? I thought I had the correct part #: 9043027001

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

That part number is just for the gasket.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Sadly the sender is van specific, but at least they all (1st and 2nd gen) use the same one.

So looks like its either new at $200+, see if you can find a functional used one or leave the old one in place and become religious about checking the oil.
    BB

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Sadly the sender is van specific, but at least they all (1st and 2nd gen) use the same one.
    Actually:

2nd gen oil level sensors are all the same.
    1985 is unique (and has been NLA for awhile); the 2nd gen sensor won't mount to the 1985 oil pan.
    1984 didn't have an oil level sensor (and the 1984 oil pan doesn't even have a port for a sensor).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    Actually:

2nd gen oil level sensors are all the same.
    1985 is unique (and has been NLA for awhile); the 2nd gen sensor won't mount to the 1985 oil pan.
    1984 didn't have an oil level sensor (and the 1984 oil pan doesn't even have a port for a sensor).

Gwen
    Thank you, Gwen! But what does this mean for my pan?

My Van(s):

You may be stuck using the broken sensor as a plug and regularly checking the oil at the dipstick like the non-vanners do (or are supposed to).

It MAY be possible to mount a 4Y oil pan on a 3Y block. I've been meaning to try this (in order to get an oil level sensor for my '84 LE — although that would only be the start of the project!), but it hasn't risen high enough on my priority list yet.

Questions for you: Is your "new" oil pan from a 1985 van? If so, is your van's old oil level sensor still functional?

Gwen

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Thanks for the clarification Gwen, I did not know there was a difference.

I looked it up on a Toyota discount site then checked application on Toyo DYI and they list it as being used from 08/83-12/89.
    Stupid internet.

So good to have real experts hanging around.
    BB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    You may be stuck using the broken sensor as a plug and regularly checking the oil at the dipstick like the non-vanners do (or are supposed to).

It MAY be possible to mount a 4Y oil pan on a 3Y block. I've been meaning to try this (in order to get an oil level sensor for my '84 LE — although that would only be the start of the project!), but it hasn't risen high enough on my priority list yet.

Questions for you: Is your "new" oil pan from a 1985 van? If so, is your van's old oil level sensor still functional?

Gwen
    What is a 4Y oil pan and a 3Y block?

My "new" oil pan, I am not sure if it is from an 85' van. How would I be able to check on this? Also, is the oil light on the dash the oil level sensor light? I need to know this in order to answer your question. Thank you so much, Gwen!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks for the clarification Gwen, I did not know there was a difference.

I looked it up on a Toyota discount site then checked application on Toyo DYI and they list it as being used from 08/83-12/89.
    Stupid internet.

So good to have real experts hanging around.
    BB
    You are helping me immensely, so thank you, BB!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

TVN - 3Y and 4Y refer to the different engine variants used in the van, the 3Y is 2000cc, 4Y is 2200cc.
    (Both engines belong in the same family but are variations on a theme, many parts will interchange between the two, some will not)
    3Y was the 1st generation's engine (up to 85?) 4Y was used in the new and improved 2nd generation van of 86-89.
    I have never paid any attention to the first gen so please don't take my info on them as anything more than anecdotal.

From what Gwen is telling us, the 85 uses a different sensor than later models, that being the case I would suspect that determining what is in your used pan might be as simple as seeing if the electrical plug fits onto the sensor (or visually comparing sensors from the old pan to the "new" pan?)

As far as the indicator goes, it all depends on the trim level.
    If you have an oil pressure gauge, the the level sensor is attached to the idiot light.
    If you don't have an oil pressure gauge then the idiot light does double duty for both level AND pressure.
    (at least that is how my 88 was wired (DLX, no tach) I upgraded to an LE instrument cluster to get a tach and had to run a separate wire for the pressure gauge, the idiot light now only indicates oil level)
    BB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

This is not my van but this is what the float sensor on my '88 looks like. Clearly different than yours on the outside. The plug points up instead of out. Here's a link to the TVP thread I found these on:http://toyotavanpeople.com/forum/vie...php?f=2&t=4789

My Van(s):

What they said.

Gwen

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Any way to test an oil level sensor?

So, the new pan is on! We (mostly my friend Richard) installed the pan with the engine in tact and it went on great!

My only question is this: we have two oil level sensors now, one from each pan. The weird thing is, my old sensor never worked (light on the dash always on and off), but it looks perfect compared to the one on the new pan. So, my question is: is there a way to test it before putting it on for good?

Thanks a lot! (This is for a 1985 fuel injected Van LE)

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Any way to test an oil level sensor?

I would suspect that it is the same way as one would test a fuel sender by articulating it through it's range of motion and measuring the resistance with an ohm meter.
    It should just be an on/off switch, as opposed to a variable resistance like a fuel sender, but am just guessing here.
    Should also be able to plug it into the wiring and do the same thing using the light as your guide.

Don't remember if they are one wire or 2 but if it is a one wire connection, providing a ground wire to the housing would complete the circuit but if it has 2 wires, it should just be plug and play.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I would suspect that it is the same way as one would test a fuel sender by articulating it through it's range of motion and measuring the resistance with an ohm meter.
    It should just be an on/off switch, as opposed to a variable resistance like a fuel sender, but am just guessing here.
    Should also be able to plug it into the wiring and do the same thing using the light as your guide.

Don't remember if they are one wire or 2 but if it is a one wire connection, providing a ground wire to the housing would complete the circuit but if it has 2 wires, it should just be plug and play.
    Thanks so much, BB! Helped a lot! It is two wires, so we'll take a paper clip to it!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

My '88 service manual has a couple pages that cover testing the various functions of the sensor. The TVP thread I linked to in your other post also has a little info about getting them to work properly. I don't know if the '85 sensor functions the same as '88 though.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Van

Oil light comes on when engine has been running for a bit even when full?

Hi Van folks,

I have an 84 with 276k on it. She's aged pretty gracefully but there are some issues that have come up.
    1) The oil light comes on when the engine has been running for a while, even though the dipstick reads full. The light doesn't stay on consistently, it'll go off when I hit a bump or go around a corner. I'm thinking it's my oil sensor, but have yet to locate where that is...?

2) Found a crack in my radiator after beginning the process of flushing the system and replacing some of the hoses. (As I was replacing the thermostat which was beyond toast) The heat wasn't working in the front at all and the back was minimal. After the flush something broke loose and it started working. But when I was replacing the hoses under the passenger seat I noticed how much debri was in the line... ick! And that's when I found the hairline crack at the top of the radiator.
    I've been tracking down a new or slightly used radiator... not an easy thing but my friendly Napa guy found one he says, new $110...I haven't confirmed it's in fact the right radiator. Anyone have any knowledge on where to get the proper unit and how much it should cost?
    I intend on replacing all the hoses in the system thanks to your handy pictorial.