Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual Transmission Filler Plug and Gear Oil recommendations

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Manual Transmission Filler Plug and Gear Oil recommendations

Where can I find a 1988 Toyota Van Manual Transmission Filler Plug Replacement. I was going to change my transmission oil until I noticed that it is going to need some work getting off. I am for sure not going to reuse it.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Manual Transmission Filler Plug and Gear Oil recommendations

This is a common problem created by people not using the correct tools. Here's a link to a post where proper (or improvised) tools are discussed: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...=6585#post6585

A replacement should be easy to find as this same filler plug is used in multiple locations. If you went to a salvage yard I'm guessing almost any Toyota's from this era (and probably others) would have the same plug (in manual transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials). I'm also thinking most auto parts stores will have these. I've never asked, but I'll bet they have them. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Found the plugs at local Toyota dealer I will post the part number soon. Should I use gl-5 or gl-4 75w-90?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you're using a synthetic, make sure it is GL-4 compliant. Our manual transmissions have "soft yellow metals" inside that can be damaged by GL-5. The synchros are particularly vulnerable to the effects of some GL-5 synthetics. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Thanks again! I read the manual and did not like it giving me two options w/o explanation.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Some gear oils are compliant to both GL-4 & GL-5. If you have any doubts, one of those would be okay.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I just got a little scared reading this thread because when I changed my gear oil(Manual 4wd) a couple years ago I used synthetic 75w-90 api gl-5. According to this thread :http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...t=transmission
    where you quoted the manual it says gl-4 or gl-5. I haven't noticed any hard shifting in two years but I'd hate to have to deal with a failing tranny or expensive rebuild. Should I err on the side of caution and change my gear oil to gl-4?
    Thanks, Aaron.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Good catch. Even though I posted that I didn't realize it said GL-4 or GL-5 . Sorry for the confusion. As long as you're using a conventional SAE gear oil (not synthetic) I'd have to say you're good with either one (after all the manual says so : ). The confusion I have on this has to do with some of the new blends of synthetic gear oil (new as compared to our vans) and some of the problems created by GL-5 synthetics on some of the older manual transmissions. Here's another thread where this was discussed, but not sure if it will add any clarity. Tim

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ch-Replacement

The discussion about GL-4/GL-5 synthetics starts on post #9

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

uh oh, I did use Synthetic. I'll have to remedy that.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm guessing you're okay. In reading about these issues on other forums, people making that mistake usually start complaining about hard shifts almost immediately after the oil change. If you didn't notice anything like that, then you're probably good. Something about friction inhibitors used in some synthetics (not all). I was oblivious to this as well until just recently when we had the discussion on that other thread (link above). And no, I'm not 100% sure this even applies to our vans, but there's enough different types of gear oil out there...........avoiding certain ones should not be difficult. Tim

PS: Reading the label of the product you're considering is also a good source of info. If it won't work well with certain equipment they'll typically say so. If it will work, they'll typically say that too.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

"people making that mistake usually start complaining about hard shifts almost immediately after the oil change." Well that's a relief, thanks for looking into that. By the way, I think I used Castrol synthetic Syntec 75w-90. I still may change it out...If I get around to that one.
    I only have the shuttering when easing the clutch out into first and reverse that I've always attributed to the clutch-and this problem is on-again off-again, like the weather.
    Last edited by djshimon; 02-10-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Good catch. Even though I posted that I didn't realize it said GL-4 or GL-5 . Sorry for the confusion. As long as you're using a conventional SAE gear oil (not synthetic) I'd have to say you're good with either one (after all the manual says so : ). The confusion I have on this has to do with some of the new blends of synthetic gear oil (new as compared to our vans) and some of the problems created by GL-5 synthetics on some of the older manual transmissions. Here's another thread where this was discussed, but not sure if it will add any clarity. Tim

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ch-Replacement

The discussion about GL-4/GL-5 synthetics starts on post #9

Well know I am confused. All the shops in my are sell synthetic api gl4 or gl5 75w-90. Where can I find conventional SAE gear oil (not synthetic)? Are there some brands that I can order on the web?

Thanks

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I found this product from

Valvoline - High Performance Gear Oil

Part Number: 820
    Line: VAL

• Manufacturer's Defect Warranty
    • UPC: 74130008205
    • SAE 75W-90
    • 1 Quart
    • Volume (Qt): 1 Quart
    • Oil Composition: Conventional
    • Viscosity Grade: 75W-90

This should meet the requirements then right?

Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sure, that stuff is fine. I checked and it's a GL-5 SAE gear oil (and the manual states GL-5 or GL-4). I'm not saying synthetics are bad, just saying I personally would avoid GL-5 synthetics that do not specifically say they are safe for syncros in older transmissions. Next time I do mine I'm using Royal Purple Max Gear synthetic as it specifically states "Max Gear is recommended for use in truck and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. It is non-corrosive to soft yellow metals (brass, bronze, copper, etc.) and synchronizer safe".

I don't think it would be hard to find something suitable for use in our transmissions. Any auto parts store likely has a half dozen different products I'd consider safe. Good luck. Tim

PS: Royal Purple is available most places now, but for a local walk-in business, Napa probably has the best selection. For buying on-line, Amazon is a good source (among others). Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Just picked up Royal Purple Max Gear synthetic 75w-90. Going to put it in tomorrow!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Well, put in the RP in. I have started to notice the sycros working better than before. The aren't perfect but working better.

Today I will be flushing the radiator/heating system. Going to do the 3 day flush. I picked up the expensive Asian automobile green radiator fluid.

Getting ready for a climbing trip to Joshua Tree next week and looking forward to gettin it on the open road!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Oh one more thing. The van has a 5spd manual and the lower automatic diff ratio. With that in mind, what should the rpm be around when cruising at 60mph on the highway. I think the van sits around 2500rpm. Just curious.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Have you checked the speedometer against a GPS or timed mile markers for accuracy?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

No I have not. But I figured it was accurate because the odometer is correct. Are the related? Do they seem high.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, they are related, but since the needle operates on centrifugal force it can be off from the odometer. GPS is a good way to verify accuracy, but you can also test by holding a steady 60 mph and timing mile markers on the freeway. If it's accurate, it will take exactly 60 seconds between markers. For more accurate measurement, keep it at 60 mph and count off 5 markers (should be 5 minutes). Tim