Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Oil drain plug and gasket

  1. #1
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van One 1990 Toyota Previa
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Oil drain plug and gasket

    Tim, do you know the part # for the oil pan plug? The threaded bolt that holds in the oil? And does anyone recommend a size for the washer?

  2. #2
    Administrator timsrv's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW WA ST
    Posts
    6,241
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Oil drain plug and gasket

    You could go to Toyota to order, or you could go into ANY parts store and look for the little rack with the red HELP! sign. Doorman #090038 is the one that fits the van. It comes with the gasket and costs $2 or $3. The actual size of the thread is M12 X 1.25 X 12mm length. It's got a 14mm head. Tim

  3. #3
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van One 1990 Toyota Previa
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Oil drain plug and gasket

    Tim, thank you sincerely. For some reason when I went to Autozone, they told me it was the incorrect plug for the make. I told him I had to consult the Toyota man Any thoughts on this?

    Also I have decided to go with your plan of just replacing the wire, but do you know what wire it is I need to get? Would I get this from Toyota.

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I want to get this van up and running again :(

  4. #4
    Administrator timsrv's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW WA ST
    Posts
    6,241
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Oil drain plug and gasket

    If they dispute the part, then remove the one that's there and take it in for a match-up. Even if you purchase the wrong one it's only like $3 (so no big loss). Or you could buy 2 of them (the one I said & the one they say) & return the one that doesn't match.

    As for the wire, just get some stranded 16 gauge. Before going to a lot of trouble I'd test the sending unit by unplugging it. If that doesn't affect the gauge, then pull the cluster and identify the sender wire up there & cut it. If that allows the gauge to drop to cold, then you'll know the wire was shorted somewhere between the sender & the gauge head. Before routing the new wire, I'd hook it up temporarily & verify that fixes the issue. If it does, then I'd install it permanently. Good luck. Tim

  5. #5
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4WD LE Van w/Auto with custom 4-row core radiator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Oil drain plug and gasket

    The Toyota part number for the 12mm ID oil plug 'fiber + aluminum crush washers' is:

    90430-12031

    I bought a package of ten (10) of these on Ebay for just a few dollars. My local auto-part stores do not carry 'quality' fiber-type 12mm size crush washers.

  6. #6
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van One 1990 Toyota Previa
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Oil drain plug and gasket

    Quote Originally Posted by MonTex View Post
    The Toyota part number for the 12mm ID oil plug 'fiber + aluminum crush washers' is:

    90430-12031

    I bought a package of ten (10) of these on Ebay for just a few dollars. My local auto-part stores do not carry 'quality' fiber-type 12mm size crush washers.
    Thank you! But is this the part number for the washers?

  7. #7
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van One 1990 Toyota Previa
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Oil Plug Leaking

    Hi everyone!

    So, the oil pan is in and looking good! Except it is leaking from the drain plug -_- First I put it on with the old felt one but realized I should put on a new one. I tried putting on a brass gasket and tightened it real tight.

    Does anyone have any tips? I'm so close to driving vanny! It's been like 4 months and I'm anxious now!

  8. #8
    Administrator timsrv's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW WA ST
    Posts
    6,241
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Oil Plug Leaking

    You should use the cardboard gasket that's supposed to go here. Brass is not a good substitute (it's too hard). The problem with hard gaskets is you'll need to tighten the plug too tight and this can result in stripped threads or a deformed sealing surface on the pan. The correct cardboard/paper gasket is available almost anywhere. When I change oil, if the old gasket stays on the pan, and still looks good, then I'll re-use it. If it comes off with the plug I'll usually replace. These things are a dime a dozen. Tim

  9. #9
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van One 1990 Toyota Previa
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Oil Plug Leaking

    Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    You should use the cardboard gasket that's supposed to go here. Brass is not a good substitute (it's too hard). The problem with hard gaskets is you'll need to tighten the plug too tight and this can result in stripped threads or a deformed sealing surface on the pan. The correct cardboard/paper gasket is available almost anywhere. When I change oil, if the old gasket stays on the pan, and still looks good, then I'll re-use it. If it comes off with the plug I'll usually replace. These things are a dime a dozen. Tim
    Thanks a lot, Tim! I'm going to get one on as soon as possible. Question though: when you say cardboard, which do you mean? I've seen the sort of composite material ones, is that the one you mean, or is there a different even better type that is actually cardboard?

    Thanks again!!

  10. #10
    Administrator timsrv's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW WA ST
    Posts
    6,241
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Oil Plug Leaking

    Yeah, composite is a good term. I usually get them from Toyota when I get filters, but pretty much all auto parts stores should have suitable aftermarket ones. Tim

  11. #11
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van One 1990 Toyota Previa
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Oil Plug Leaking

    Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Yeah, composite is a good term. I usually get them from Toyota when I get filters, but pretty much all auto parts stores should have suitable aftermarket ones. Tim
    You're the best as always, Tim!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •