Thread: Front windows

My Van(s):
    1991 TownAce MRV Pop Top

Front windows

Does anyone know the front door window compatibility between the years? Looks like there might be a break in 08/88 but it could just be tinting.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Front windows

Aside from presence or absence of factory tint the door glass should be the same for all years.

My Van(s):
    1991 TownAce MRV Pop Top

Thanks. I picked up a parts van last night. Fingers crossed.

My Van(s):
    1991 TownAce MRV Pop Top

So they are not direct swaps. The window profile itself is the same. The bracket at the bottom of the window is 1" father forward on my 91. Looking at Toyota part numbers it looks like there's a break at 08/88 when this happens. So you either need to replace the window and regulator as a unit. Or move the bracket on the bottom of the window 1" to match the regulator. You're using.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    1991 TownAce MRV Pop Top

As far as the difference it feels like my 91 was slightly smoother in operation, maybe do to the CG being slightly different. This regulator seems to stick a little more at the bottom and rocks forward a little in the middle. And using the pre 08/88 it's harder to get at the forward window bracket bolt because the access hole is smaller.

My Van(s):
    1991 TownAce MRV Pop Top

Picture of the 86 door and the access hole to the front bolt. The bracket on the window as mentioned. Not sure what it would take to get it to slide on the window but it looks like 1" on the nose. Regulator pulls right out of the door.Name:  PXL_20221202_194356587~2.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  93.9 KBName:  PXL_20221202_210530910.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  98.5 KBName:  PXL_20221202_205809407.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  94.7 KBName:  PXL_20221202_194606823.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  100.7 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

My apologies if I steered you wrong, I didn't notice you have a JDM van. As far as the rail is concerned, I have replaced a number of windows on a number of vehicles over the years and I dont think I've seen any that had that glued on in the same location as the previous glass. They always seem to be off a little bit one way or the other. Did you clean and lubricate the regulator before you installed it? Mine were stiff on one of my vans so I removed them and cleaned and regreased and it made a difference between sticking, tilting, and two hands to roll it up and smooth as butter after.

My Van(s):
    1991 TownAce MRV Pop Top

I did clean and lube. I also srayed some silocone in the vertical channels. No matter what I did with the 86 window and the 91 regulator (loosened all the bolts, tweaked the regulator assembly, loosened the bolts for the front track and tried to move it), it always pinched with the front side down and would not go all the way up. With everything bolted up I could not grab the window and force it to seat all the way up. When I unbolted the window, it would slide up no problem. I swapped in the 86 regulator and it goes all the way up no problems. I don't quite get it either. The lower track is free floating even though you can see the pivot is different from the two regulators. Can't argue with results though. If/when I do the other side I have the original window to measure against.