Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Basic Van knowledge for new owners

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota van wagon le

Re: Basic Van knowledge for new owners

where do I put new transmission fluid in on a 5 speed??

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    It's 24mm metric but 15/16" SAE fits it nicely too. You should use a 6 point socket as there isn't much surface area here. It's common for these to round-off so be careful. I'm sure they make special sockets for this, but I use a 6 point 15/16" socket that I ground down on a disc grinder. I removed some of the open side to get rid of the interior chamfer (this provides more surface area between the socket and plug). That socket fits nice and tight and I don't need to worry about it slipping and rounding the plug. BTW, this is the same size used on the fill plug too. The front differential (for you 4wd owners), manual transmissions & transfer cases use this same plug size. Broached sockets (relieved areas between sides of hex, like the one below) are also preferred as they are less likely to round off the plug. Tim

Don't worry about measuring exact amounts. As long as the van is sitting reasonably level, just keep adding gear oil to the fill hole until oil starts coming back out (the bottom of the fill hole is the proper fill level). This is true for manual transmissions, transfer cases, & differentials too. In some places you'll have enough access to squeeze a quart bottle sideways (to force oil in), but in others you're limited on space. This is particularly true with the front differential (4wd). For this I use a gear oil pump (available at most auto parts stores). It fits on the top of the gear oil jug and pumps the oil through a clear vinyl tube. I bent a piece of copper tubing ~95 deg to go on the end of the vinyl tubing. The copper piece fits nicely in the front differential fill hole and will hang there while I pump gear oil.

As for getting the front differential fill plug off/on, this requires an extensive vocabulary of naughty words . Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

It also bears repeating:

ANYTIME you plan to drain fluid from anything, make sure you can remove the fill plug/port FIRST. THEN go ahead and drain away. It really sucks to have all the whatever drained out only to find you can't put anything back in ...

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Oh so true. Of course you could always teach your van to play dead, then use the drain hole as a fill hole .

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

How do you get a diagnostic code when you have a check engine light on? I know about that two wire fuse under the driver seat that you have to somehow manipulate to get the check engine blinking light. How exactly do you "manipulate" this fuse?

Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Quote Originally Posted by EdCrono View Post
    How do you get a diagnostic code when you have a check engine light on? I know about that two wire fuse under the driver seat that you have to somehow manipulate to get the check engine blinking light. How exactly do you "manipulate" this fuse?

Thanks!
    How to get the codes:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...vice-Connector

What the codes mean:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...gons-all-years

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    Thanks for the help again. But I'm not getting any blinking engine light after I jump the fuse with a small copper wire and turn the key to the "on" position . Where does that fuse lead to? Any idea which way to go?

Anything would help. You guys are great. I went from the Christmas Lights dashboard down to just my engine light. Can't thank you enough!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you're following directions in those threads & not getting a blinking light, the next thing to check would normally be the CEL bulb. But since it's already illuminating (but not blinking) that indicates a faulty ECU. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

If you're following directions in those threads & not getting a blinking light, the next thing to check would normally be the CEL bulb. But since it's already illuminating (but not blinking) that indicates a faulty ECU. Tim
    oh boy... Thanks again Tim!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

New ECU on the way. I took the old one out from behind the driver's side seat belt and grabbed the part number, which turns out to be compatible with the '85 and '86 model as well. Hopefully that will turn the engine light off. If not, at least the code will do. I'll keep posting my outcomes. Again, thanks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'll be crossing my fingers for you. I've never purchased a new ECU. I've picked up a couple spares off eBay for around $10 though. I finally had my 1st ECU failure back in Feb. Turns out one of the $10 eBay units had the same part number so I swapped one in. That solved my problem & it's been running great ever since. I hope they didn't ding you too bad for the new one. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 4wd cargo 88 4wd cargo

just makes me remeber just how much any part is worth to ya when ya really need it. the longer my parts van sits there the more i,m gonna need it!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

I'll be crossing my fingers for you. I've never purchased a new ECU. I've picked up a couple spares off eBay for around $10 though. I finally had my 1st ECU failure back in Feb. Turns out one of the $10 eBay units had the same part number so I swapped one in. That solved my problem & it's been running great ever since. I hope they didn't ding you too bad for the new one. Tim
    I'm sorry, when I said new ECU I meant getting another one. I actually got it used on Ebay for $26.00.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There you go. The only way to go with these old vehicles.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

There you go. The only way to go with these old vehicles.
    Hey Tim. Just got my ECU and installed it. Engine light is gone! I'm going to get it smogged tomorrow! You were right on the money! The ECU was bad! I'm so happy!
    My van was just sitting with me not being able to get it smogged! Thanks again! Yeeee!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van Wagon 4WD AUTO

So pertaining to the tranny filter/screen what one is it?

I went to toyota today to get the pan gasket and they said it does not take a filter it is just a screen.

When I went to napa they said they had a rubber gasket for 5 bucks or a cork gasket and filter for 22 bucks.

I remember reading on the different gaskets and Tim did not have an opinion on one being better than the other.

Toyota said their gasket is cork.

So if it is not an actual filter but a screen then why not clean the screen instead of replacing?

Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes it is a screen, and it could be cleaned. It's a very fine mesh and there are places inside that are not easily accessible. Still, I'm sure if you rinsed it in clean solvent enough times & blew out with air it would be about as good as a new one. One reason not to clean is because www.rockauto.com puts these kits on special every few months. As cheap as they are (about $3 each) it just doesn't make sense to waste time cleaning. Heck, the solvent alone would almost cost that much. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    A 1984 2WD and an 87 4WD

Re: Basic Van knowledge for new owners - oops I put power steering fluid in it!

Gee, I wish I had read this thread before doing that! So what are the big bad differences between the two fluids and how should I fix my mistake?

Thanks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That depends on where you put the power steering fluid. Nothing to worry about if you put it into your power steering reservoir. Power steering fluid still meets the minimum requirements of the power steering system. Dexron III is however cheaper & also happens to be what's recommended. Tim