Thread: Leaky pipes

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 2wd, auto cargo

Leaky pipes

I have another question if you wouldn't mind. You mentioned replacing the pipes with heater hose. So I finally got the leaky pipe out, and it turns out that it bolts directly onto the engine, ( it is part number 16268 off the exploded cooling system diagram. It's the diagram that has " HOSE-WATER BYPASS #3" at the top.)

I'm hoping Toyota still has some parts available (too late tonight, I'll call them tomorrow.) If not I guess I'll have to replace the pipe with heater hose. My question is how would I get heater pipe to join to the engine? I don't imagine there is a fitting that matches the engine end and then couples to a hose?? Have you done this before, or do you have any ideas. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Leaky pipes

Hi Doormat, am I to assume we are continuing a thread you started at TVP? That's awesome that you found us. In an attempt to alleviate any hard feelings between that site and ours I've been trying to post more over there, but unfortunately helping van owners on TVP has become a bit difficult (I recently discovered I am no longer able to post photos due to their censorship software). Just for clarification (for those that wish to follow the original posts) Here is a link to the thread at TVP: http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...php?f=2&t=8319 .

Based on your description I think you are talking about the pipe that's highlighted in this diagram (Toyota Part #16268-73011):

If so, it's possible that Toyota may still have these. I checked on www.1sttoyotaparts.com and I see that it still comes up as a good part number. They do want $120.70 for it, but if available, IMO, (considering the complexity of this pipe), I think purchasing new would be your best option. There's always the salvage yards, but a used pipe would be 20 something years old and may not hold up.

A pipe like this can be fabricated, but I doubt you could have one built for less than purchasing the Toyota one. I'd recommend calling Toyota and have them check availability. Tim

PS: Toyota made more than 1 configuration of this particular pipe. When you call, be sure to have your VIN number handy so they can verify correct part number.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 2wd, auto cargo

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for the reply, and just wanted to say this site is great, and now bookmarked for sure. The pipe you highlighted is the correct one. I phoned the local Toyota dealership here and they wanted $265 for the pipe and $10 for the gasket. Instead I called and ordered the same pipe through toyotapartsales.com for $124. Sounds like a week or two for delivery. Thanks again for the help, this site is a great resource. I'll take a few photos of the job when the parts come in and post them for reference for others.

Cheers ~Matt.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Awesome! Yes, photos please. They always help put things into perspective. Tim

PS: That stealership should be ashamed. Toyota dealers are given guidelines by Toyota on what to charge. It's called MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) and that has a "more than reasonable" profit built into it. Many dealers will reduce that price by up to 30% for regular customers and still make good money (my local dealership does it for me). FWIW, Toyota's MSRP on that part is $167.31. Another good internet source for discounted Toyota parts is www.toyotapartszone.com (unless you're not in the USA, then I'm not sure who will sell to you due to currency rates and shipping hassles). Tim

My Van(s):
    (2) 86 2WD auto LE's (Daily driver has 335k+miles) (1) 87 4WD auto Conversion (90k orig miles) (1) 87 4WD auto LE (1) 88 2WD auto LE (1) 89 4WD auto Conversion (1) 89 4WD auto LE... Still lookin

I would be interested in the "old leaky pipes" when/if anyone replaces them. Don't destroy them taking them off.

I'd like to try sleeving and brazing them where needed.
    -Jim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 2wd, auto cargo

Okay, a month later I finally have finished the job. Toyotapartsale.com found out after a week that the part is discontinued. I called my local dealership, they said it was not discontinued and would be able to special order me one for arrival in two weeks. Guess what, 2 weeks later they told me the part was discontinued... Luckily I work at a place where there are some skilled welders and they were able to sandblast, weld and repaint the pipe (it looks brand new).

This is my first van and fairly new to me. This was the first repair job I have attempted on this vehicle and I enjoyed getting to know it. Thanks everyone for the help, especially Tim. As promised I have some pictures. For anyone attempting this job I'll list the steps I took:

1- remove passenger seat and engine cover.
    2- remove fan shroud
    3- remove rad hoses (I changed these while I was in there) and move coolant reservoir out of the way (just lift it straight up, mine was quite firm)
    4- loosen alternator, swing it out of the way and bag it (in case you drip coolant).
    5- remove t-stat cover (I also changed the t-stat while I was in there).
    6- remove engine/pulley ? brace thing
    7- back behind drivers side wheel, disconnect the 2 hoses attached to heater by-pass pipe
    8- there is also a heat shield back here that I removed to have more room
    9- slide little hands in and loosen the bolts holding on the heater by-pass pipe where it mounts to block (just behind the t-stat).
    10- Reverse order with new part(s)

Don't let the pictures fool you, it is tight getting at the bolts.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/i...attach/jpg.gif

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/i...attach/jpg.gif

The first picture is looking at the t-stat area and you can see the bolts to the rights where the by-pass pipe attaches. In the second picture you can see the pipe attached (its the silver one). The black bar running across is the engine/pulley? brace I mentioned earlier.

It sure is nice to have my van back running. Thanks again for everyones help.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's too bad the new part wasn't available, but nice to know people who can reinvent the wheel. Glad we could help, even if was just encouragement. In the end it looks like you did it all by yourself . Thanks for posting a follow-up. Tim