Thread: I'm new, and my Vans not running

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van LE 2.0

I'm new, and my Vans not running

So me and my girlfriend recently purchased a 1988 Toyota Van LE. It was running fairly well at purchase, yet it's ability to start quickly deteriorated. After having power issues with the starter and toying with it for a few days it's cranking again. However I now seem to have an issue with my fuel pump. I jumped the fuel pump with the keys turned and nada. No sound. No click. Whatsoever. I have been following cables and looking for relays and I may be close to losing my mind. So I figured I'd take a break and leave this here, and say quick thanks to the community for this huge resource of knowledge as well. Any thoughts or tips on what may be the issue would be appreciated!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van LE 2.0

Re: I'm new, and my Vans not running

As an update I've tried as much of the troubleshooting that I could find (so far) in regards to getting power to the fuel pump. No reading on the multi meter before or after the Open Circuit Relay with the FPCC Jumped. Then I went to the EFI relay behind the dash. Nothing looks wrong. Not sure what to test here. I may just replace everything along the path. This is the thread I'm using to trouble shoot. http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...g-for-years%29 . I've checked all my fuses as well. I did find a fuse labelled ST next to the EFI fuse burnt out. I haven't been able to find out what it stands for. I may head out today and grab a fuse kit and replace it. The EFI fuse-able link is fine as well. The previous owner seems to have had a field day with the electrical. It's a bit of a mess. Something particularly odd I noticed was a red wire coming from the EFI Relay with a 7.5 a fuse in the middle, connected to the fuse box in the Brake slot. Interesting, and concerning. So ya. I'm going to jump back in my coveralls and continue to pull my hair out.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

Heya,

Maybe this will help you a bit in your sleuthing...

Name:  OFNCoCy.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  55.9 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van LE 2.0

Yes I've been studying this diagram. Thank you. However I'm not too experienced with electrical. All I've got as experience is a bit of common knowledge and common sense. The only place I can find power is before the EFI switch. But doesn't the FPCC jump that? regardless I tried swapping it with the relay marked similarly two left of the EFI. Still nothing. I just want to hear it work haha. Could there be something I'm overlooking?

*update*
    Ok, so the white wire behind the EFI Relay is getting power. Nothing afterwards. Looking at the diagram I would assume that I should be able to find a power source regardless of the Circuit relay switch working. I just don't really know. I kind of want to just change it out. But i'm hesitant to as it makes no sense to me. I'm getting concerned that the ECU might be acting up. I've tried disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and reconnecting. Still nothing.

*update 2*
    Blue wire that powers the Circuit open relay gets a small negligible reading. I don't know why there is no power.

*update 3*
    Ok so I've resorted to testing the ECU. I really don't like messing with it. Gah. Maybe this is a grounding issue? I've realzied there is no check engine light in the dash. Which means the ECU isn't grounding, getting power, or working all together. I'm really hoping it's not the latter.
    Last edited by Zapizoid; 03-12-2015 at 10:43 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If the blue wire from the COR does not have ~12v when FPCC is jumped and the ignition turned to "run", then check the black wire on the COR for power.

Sequence of events: With ignition on, there should always be power to the black wire on the COR. When you jump the FPCC, this supplies ground to the COR coil (green wire to the COR), and this should make the COR click. With the click, there should now be ~12v supplied to the blue wire (blue wire is what powers pump). If there's power to the black wire, but no click when jumping the FPCC (ignition turned to "run"), then I'd temporarily jump ground directly to the green COR wire terminal. If still no click/no pump, then the COR is bad. Check these things and report back with what your test results are. Tim

PS: Sorry for the late response. I've been working an extreme amount of overtime. The unseasonably warm sunny days here in SW Washington state have created a big surge in my RV business. Very little time for the forum lately. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van LE 2.0

Thanks for the response tim! There is no power to the black wire. My battery should be good as i'm getting about 12.7 directly from it.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you're not getting power to the black wire, that narrows it down. Check the EFI relay and the 15A EFI fuse. Use a voltmeter or test light on the EFI fuse (both sides) to make sure it's powered up. Also check your 7.5A IGN fuse the same way. It could also be a bad contact on the IG2 circuit of the ignition switch. Just use the schematic and check for power using a test light or volt meter. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van LE 2.0

Tore apart my dash. It was indeed the IG2 Circuit. For whatever reason it was rewired by the previous owner through a 25a fuse. She fired up after two cranks. It was a beautiful sound to hear! Thank you for the ignition tip Tim. I'm excited to start on some of the less mind numbing work on the Van.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them