Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires for the stock rims on 4WD Van.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Tires for the stock rims on 4WD Van.

Long time since I've been on the forum, but I'm back to work on my Van. And I recently had a tire go bad on me.

I've read the articles and threads regarding stock rims with tires in larger sizes for the 4WD. Seems a lot of what's mentioned are not around anymore. I certainly can't find the 27" Coopers I was running, or the 27" Dunlop Rover I'm rolling on for a spare.

Local tire dealers are telling me the Grabbers are my only option, but I'm not excited about trimming and hammering on the van, which I've read about here.

Curious if anyone has any experience with the Bighorn MT-762 27x8.50R14LT. Or have any thoughts, based on its specs.

Regardless of what I go with, I need to wait until a pay my taxes... but it's giving me some time to weigh whatever options I have. I'd like to retain the stock rims, and still use my 27" Dunlop as a spare, since it is practically a new tire.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Tires for the stock rims on my 1988 4WD Van.

I like the tread on those more, but they're likely a bit more noisy (which I happen to like on 4wd's). Diameter and width are basically the same though. The actual size of the Grabbers is 26.5" & the Bighorns are only .2" smaller @ 26.3". The Bighorns are .2" wider than the Grabbers @ 8.8" overall width (Grabbers are 8.6"). Both tires call for min. rim width of 6". Our rims are 5.5" wide, which in my opinion is not an issue, but some dealers may refuse to install them.

You may get by without cutting and pounding, but even with the Grabbers there isn't much of that required (certainly not enough to create structural or sealing problems). I hate cutting/pounding too, but if it grinds/rubs, it's better to cut/pound than risk tearing up your tires (just my $.02). Tim

PS: If you get these please show us some pics and report back on fit issues.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Thanks, Tim. And I agree with you there. I prefer the look of the Bighorn's tread, and any added noise is no issue with me. Was wondering about the rim width. Good to hear that they should work... and if it comes down to it, I can avoid dealer qualms by mounting the tires at my mechanic's shop. Just need to see if I can find a local dealer for Maxxis tires, or if I'm going to have to order them online.

I'll definitely post an update if I end up with them, and share pics regarding fit and the look of them on the van.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Bosley's Tires on S. Broadway has them.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Sure enough! I hadn't talked to them yet, and for whatever reason the Maxxis dealer map didn't turn them up for me -- was listing dealers in OK and TX as the nearest. Thanks a bunch for pointing that out!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No problem. BTW, I used to live in Wichita many years ago. Tim

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Ha! Small world.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Finally ordered the tires, and had them put on today.

Went with the Bighorn MT-762 27x8.50R14LT, and had no fit issues or need for modification. In fact, my previous set of 27" Coopers rubbed slightly at full turn, and I no longer have that issue with these Bighorns. I cranked the wheel with my brother on the ground eyeing things, and he said I had about an inch of clearance.

They do growl at highways speeds, but that's not a concern for me. I like the look of the things a lot. Attached some quick pics I snapped before the sun went down, in case anyone else finds themselves considering these and wants a look at the fit.

van.jpgfront.jpgback.jpgtread.jpg

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Those look awesome! I like the way the tread comes down the sidewall. That's so you can grab the edge of the ruts when you're rock crawling

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Roger,

those tires are BEAST!!! And awesome to hear they don't rub and no modifications were required, my question is how is the gas mileage with those tires and your off the line acceleration? Not that your racing around with them but they seem heavier so is it noticeable that the Van is slower?

i found these specs about the tires-

SPECIFICATIONS

Part Number Size Service Description Ply Rating Sidewall Overall Diameter (in) Section Width (in) Max PSI Max Load (lbs) Measuring Rim Width (in) Tread Depth (in)
    TL13804000 27X8.50R14LT 95Q 6 OWL 26.3 8.8 50 1521 7 19/32
    TL18528000 30X9.50R15LT 104Q 6 OWL 29.9 9.7 50 1984 7.5 20/32
    TL18529400 31X10.50R15LT 109Q 6

If you swipe the spec chart left and right you should be able to see the other half... I'm saying that cause it's working for me, hopefully it's working for all viewers.

thank you

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    those tires are BEAST!!! And awesome to hear they don't rub and no modifications were required, my question is how is the gas mileage with those tires and your off the line acceleration? Not that your racing around with them but they seem heavier so is it noticeable that the Van is slower?
    That's exactly what my buddies said when they saw them... that my van was now in beast mode! Haha! Seeing as how I was already running 27x8.5R14 tires, I didn't notice any change in performance. They've always made it a bit of a slow chug up to highway speeds, but I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. As I mentioned, the main difference in these was the growl associated with the deeper tread. As for gas mileage, been a while since I've checked. Last I knew, I got around 17-18 mpg city. I see in the original sales brochure I have for the '88 vans, that it puts them at 22 city and 23 highway with "optimal equipment." I have a feeling there is plenty going on with my van that is less than optimal, even after I threw a rebuilt motor in the thing. I'm slowly working at getting it back there though.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

I am going to find a set for my SpaceVan if they work on 2wd. The 4WD rims have 5 bolts which tells me they maybe a bit different.

How much were the tires? Found them for $145 locally! Awesome price.
    Last edited by LateralTech; 05-18-2016 at 01:07 AM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lateral, I answered your question here: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...2545#post22545

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

Hi there ... those tires look great! I need a new set for the 4WD ... still recommend? I am not sure I would need such an aggressive tire but they look great! Also have the lessened your milage at all ... and as far as the "growl" is concerned ... to loud? Thanks!

Ken

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hi there ... those tires look great! I need a new set for the 4WD ... still recommend? I am not sure I would need such an aggressive tire but they look great! Also have the lessened your milage at all ... and as far as the "growl" is concerned ... to loud? Thanks!

Ken

Yeah, I'd still recommend them. I've had some issues with how they are wearing, in part due to all the highway miles I put on them and also because of some front end issues I'm working on resolving at the moment. I should have rotated them more often, I think. But like I said, my worn out front end really didn't treat them well, so I blame the van more than anything. Suffered some bad mechanical wear, on the sides of the tires, as a result.

The mileage, I didn't notice much in the way of a change there. Since then I've added the weight of a roof rack and the full size spare that probably hurt the mpg more than anything. The growl, is pretty loud. I just deal with it, but I can see how it would bother some people. And yeah, they look great and they fit without mods or rubbing. All things considered, I get my front end fixed and I'll buy another set down the road.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 2.31.33 PM.jpg

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Roger- side question: how'd you mount the tire up top? I can't tell from the picture.

A note for those considering which tires. It could have been a fluke but I had a shoulder blow out on my General AT2's. I think I've had them on for a little over a year and they still had plenty of life in them. I've done a little bit of mellow trail driving. I've only crawled up and over a few curbs here and there, no hard impacts. The tire shop told me they couldn't tell how it happened. It almost looked defective to me. Anyhow, anyone else out there ever have any premature fails using the AT2's? Other than that and the occasional rubbing, they have been excellent. I'm going to eye those Bighorns though potentially for future. Thanks for the input.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by ratatouille View Post
    Roger- side question: how'd you mount the tire up top? I can't tell from the picture.
    When I built the roof rack and fuel carrier, I cobbled a mount together. I used a piece of plate steel that I had left (that wasn't really as big as I would have liked, was just barely the right size) then welded three long bolts to it that would accept lug nuts, that matched the lug pattern of my rim. This mount was then attached with u-bolts, to the roof rack. The tires fits snug against the rack bars, where the lug nuts run out of threads, so it worked out pretty well. See attached photos below. I need to rethink it though, or get a cover for the wheel -- in the winter I end up with a spare tire full of snow up there, that would suck to deal with in order to get at the lug nuts.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 3.30.49 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 3.31.00 PM.jpg

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Another look at the setup.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 3.41.41 PM.jpg

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

I ended up putting the full-size spare up top, because it didn't really fit under the van. When I bought it, it was up under there, but the carrier was actually broken with the tire just wedged into it. Then one day, it fell down while I was driving and that was the end of that.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Rad. Thx for providing that. Do you remember if there was hassle from the tire place mounting these Bighorn on the stock rims?