Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires for the stock rims on 4WD Van.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Re: Tires for the stock rims on my 1988 4WD Van.

No hassle from them at all. I told them what I was after, they ordered them and mounted them without it ever being brought up. And I've had no issues with the tires, in that regard.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

Thanks for the quick response! The other tires I have seen recommended are the GENERAL GRABBER AT 2 27X8.5R14LT 95Q C and the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO. Looking forward to some new rubber on the road!

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Tire Quandry

rather than start a new thread, figured I just use this one.
    Ok at a quandary regarding getting new tires for 4wd Van.
    1. Stick with stock 14” wheels and go with27/8.5-R14 either Grabber AT2 or Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn(anyone have experience with these?)
    2. Move to a set of 15” Suzuki sidekick wheels andgo with a 205/75-R15 in Grabber AT2 or ?
    Anyone have opinions on either the AT2s or Bighorns? If I remember correctly the Grabber AT2’s areabout 5 pounds heavier than the 15” 205’s
    Width is bigger in first size by half an inch and height ofboth is about the same.
    tires.JPG
    Thanks Josh

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Re: Tire Quandry

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    rather than start a new thread, figured I just use this one.
    Hey Josh. Don't know how much digging you did on the site for tire info, but aside from my experience here in this thread, there is this article covering tire choices in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...es-tires-tires!

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

I also notice Kenda Tires has a 27x8.5R14LT, the Klever A/T KR28. I've yet to see mention of it in threads. I'm wondering if it could be a less noisy alternative to the Bighorns I am running on stock 4WD rims, and hopefully still small enough to avoid fender mods. Will be looking into them.

http://automotive.kendatire.com/en-u...uck/klever-at/

kr28.jpg

My Van(s):

I'd be willing to bet those are more quiet than the big horns given the tread design/pattern. How do you like the bighorns?
    I ended up with the 27x8.5/14 AT2s. Haven't installed them yet, since I want to refinish and paint the stock wheels prior.
    Josh
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    I'd be willing to bet those are more quiet than the big horns given the tread design/pattern. How do you like the bighorns?
    I ended up with the 27x8.5/14 AT2s. Haven't installed them yet, since I want to refinish and paint the stock wheels prior.
    Josh
    I think they're a good tire. They fit great -- I had no rubbing or any need for fender mods. They ride well, and performed well in snow and some seriously muddy Kansas roads. And they look great -- got a lot of people commenting on them and the van, more of an indicator that the van is 4WD to see it with offroad tires like the Bighorns, which still seems to surprise people around here. Not many vans like this on the road here.

I lost a lot of tread because of some front end issues (just recently fixed those), and I put a lot of highway miles on them. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't consider something less aggressive. Also, I'm hoping to take more road trips soon, and I'm not sure I'm excited about the tire noise for longer hauls. Might get tired of listening to it. They are really loud.

But, I'll probably buy another set if I don't find a better alternative. I prefer to keep my 14-inch stock rims, and I definitely don't want to run too small of a tire... the van looks good with a 27-inch tire.

My Van(s):

Finally got my tires mounted after refinishing my stock 4wd rims. ended up using 2 coats of primer, 4 coats (3 light, 1 med) and 2 coats of clear. Tires looked big when I was throwing them in my truck, but when I got home I compared them to the tires on my Montero. Looking tiny by Montero standards.
    wheels van.jpg

@ JDM vanman- Ok, I'll post a new thread in "general how to" section feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else?
    Last edited by bikerjosh; 12-09-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Nice job!!

Your refinish work looks great!! I have 5 4WD spares that I need to tackle and finish as well. If you have the time it would be great to list the materials, paint, tools and time required to DIY this type of job

Thank you

JDM

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Just got new tires today and wanted to share pics showing fit and looks, so those that are shopping can have another option for stock rims. This time around I went with the 27x8.50R14LT Kenda Klever A/T. They don't look as cool, but are way quieter than the aggressive Bighorns I was previously running—which will be a welcome change for all the highway miles I tend to put on my van. Regarding fit: no rubbing while driving or turning, and no issues with the shop mounting them on our rims. http://automotive.kendatire.com/en-u...uck/klever-at/

Kenda Klever AT.jpg

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Looking really good, like them a lot . Thanks for turning us up on a new option for the 14's and taking the time to report with pics . Is your van lifted? How much?
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

Re: 195 75r14's on a 4wd?

This is such a hard issue for all of us!

I am currently running Mastercraft Glacier Grip II 205/75r14s and while they have great grip, the tires look and feel soft. I have gotten used to the flattish look when they are filled to the recommended psi. Also they generate a lot of road noise, which annoys me.

In the past I have run Firestone Winterforce 205/75/14. While the rubber was quite soft, they worked well and I was happy with them.

At one point I had a set of 185s on a 4WD van (they came free as an extra set of wheels), but driving on a 185 was terrible. Speedo was way off and rpms too high.

The idea of getting something like the Grabbers is really fun! But like most of us (as I imagine "us") I drive on roads and highways 95% of the time, and I poke around on old logging roads 5% of the time.

So I am thinking about going the 195 R14C route. Just so sick of road noise and soft tires. They are not nearly as rad as the 27" A/T type tires though.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
    Looking really good, like them a lot . Thanks for turning us up on a new option for the 14's and taking the time to report with pics . Is your van lifted? How much?
    You know, I’m not sure. The previous owner didn’t tell me much about its history… and I know he bought it and pretty much turned around and sold it, without doing anything to it. So I always assumed it was stock. But maybe it has been lifted, since I’m not having any trouble fitting these different 27” tires? I’ll have to crawl under the rear end and see if it has been. I’ve been over every inch of the van otherwise, but its never really occurred to me to look at the rear springs.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by fuquan View Post
    Just so sick of road noise and soft tires. They are not nearly as rad as the 27" A/T type tires though.
    Yeah, these have zero noise. I couldn’t hear myself think before, and wasn't going to tolerate it on a long road trip.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Yeah, these have zero noise. I couldn’t hear myself think before, and wasn't going to tolerate it on a long road trip.
    Any thoughts out there on how loud the General Grabbers are?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hi, Roger,
    How are those Kendas doing after a year plus?
    I would love to cut down on the noise I get from my Mastercraft Courser 225/70R14s. Not only does their more aggressive tread make it's own growl, they also tended to add in a wuh-wuh-wuh at the wheel turning frequency, maybe because of a flattish set they take on when parked, or something in their construction that's off a bit. One of them had an internal failure driving up I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley in 108 degree heat and went weirdly out of round. Didn't lose air but sure wasn't rolling smoothly.
    Thanks,
    John

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Jbbishop2 View Post
    Hi, Roger,
    How are those Kendas doing after a year plus?
    I would love to cut down on the noise I get from my Mastercraft Courser 225/70R14s. Not only does their more aggressive tread make it's own growl, they also tended to add in a wuh-wuh-wuh at the wheel turning frequency, maybe because of a flattish set they take on when parked, or something in their construction that's off a bit. One of them had an internal failure driving up I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley in 108 degree heat and went weirdly out of round. Didn't lose air but sure wasn't rolling smoothly.
    Thanks,
    John
    My 2c: After learning of the Kendas from Roger's post, I bought them last Feb and have driven about 2500 miles. So far they've been super!. Previously I had Mastercraft Glacier Grip II 205x75x14s which are (not recommended) less aggressive than the Kendas. I don't think my road noise has increased at all with the Kendas. Very happy all around with the ride and the lack of road noise. Only downside for me is that the front tires rub when I turn them all the way left or right. My van is lifted ~2in. FYI, I bought them on Ebay from parrishtirecompany for $95/ea. Bought 5. The 5th (spare) doesn't fit underneath in the stock spare tire carrier, so I've had to put it on the roof.

IMG_0724.jpg
    Last edited by fuquan; 08-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Thanks for the report, fuquan!

>Very happy all around with the ride and the lack of road noise. Only downside for me is that the front tires rub when I turn them all the way left or right. My van is lifted ~2in.

The rubbing worries me, though, as far as I know my '88 isn't lifted at all. I may try them anyway and see if any modification is needed.

>The 5th (spare) doesn't fit underneath in the stock spare tire carrier, so I've had to put it on the roof.

That answers another question I had. My spare is a 195/75R14 and it fits in the carrier nicely but the 225 Mastercraft did not. I was hoping to get just close enough with the Kendas. Durn.

Thanks again,
    John

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Hi John,

>> The rubbing worries me, though, as far as I know my '88 isn't lifted at all. I may try them anyway and see if any modification is needed.

I suspect that the tires would be fine in a 4x4 without any lift, and that rubbing would be the same as in my van, but that's just my gut feeling. The rubbing I experienced at max-turn is not on the body, there appears to be enough of clearance there. The rubbing occurs on a flap of metal that is on the front-inside of the wheel well (attached to the frame?). I'm slowly lowering my front end to match the rear, which is not quite 2in above factory. I will report back with measurements (e.g., axle to top of wheel well) so you can make an objective assessment. For others out there, I can confirm that even with a lot of front end bouncing on rugged roads, maxed-out turning aside, my Kendas do not rub.

>> That answers another question I had. My spare is a 195/75R14 and it fits in the carrier nicely but the 225 Mastercraft did not. I was hoping to get just close enough with the Kendas. Durn

My initial read is that the diameter of the tire fits into the carrier fine, it's just the 8.5in width that creates the problem. Adding about an inch of length at the two cotter-pinned contact points of the spare tire carrier, thus lowering the carrier, should solve the problem. My carrier was disintegrating, so I did not attempt that modification. ...have to build a new one.

For me, the Kendas are a great compromise between a road tire and a Grabber. 95% of my driving is on good roads and I hate road noise.

Good luck,
    Dan

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Thanks Dan for doing the leg work on this and reporting! I think the carrier mod is a lot better than carrying the spare on the roof too, lower center of gravity on an already lifted van and easier access not to mention the "aero".
    John, don't get me wrong, I love the "expedition" look of spare and carrier box on the roof
    I recently re-did all of the front and rear suspension on my 4WD including the "tacoma/durango" shocks mod. This mod is forcing me to lift the van (shocks to tall for stock ride height). I hope i can stay on the 14" rims, I like no rubbing and I like quiet so these Kendas Tires are looking more and more interesting to me.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.