Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires for the stock rims on 4WD Van.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Re: 195 75r14's on a 4wd?

Quote Originally Posted by fuquan View Post

For me, the Kendas are a great compromise between a road tire and a Grabber. 95% of my driving is on good roads and I hate road noise.

Good luck,
    Dan
    That's me, too, Dan, maybe more than 95% good roads. That last bit up the hill to the house in the rain can be slippery, though.

Thanks also for the parrishtirecompany eBay tip. $95 is way less than the $141 Amazon price and the shipping from parrishtirecompany is free in the continental US. I'm pinging a local tire outfit for a cost but if the difference is a few hundred dollars I may just change them myself.

Take care,
    John

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

My initial read is that the diameter of the tire fits into the carrier fine, it's just the 8.5in width that creates the problem. Adding about an inch of length at the two cotter-pinned contact points of the spare tire carrier, thus lowering the carrier, should solve the problem. My carrier was disintegrating, so I did not attempt that modification. ...have to build a new one.
    Correcting myself: Here's how well the Kenda Klever fits into our spare tire carrier ... not so great.
    IMG_0797.jpg

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

Quote Originally Posted by Jbbishop2 View Post
    I'm pinging a local tire outfit for a cost but if the difference is a few hundred dollars I may just change them myself.
    After getting the kendas I basically joined Costco for their price on tire mounting, balancing and disposal of old tires - $15 all-in per tire for a total of ~$75.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

After getting the kendas I basically joined Costco for their price on tire mounting, balancing and disposal of old tires - $15 all-in per tire for a total of ~$75.
    That's a great idea I hadn't even thought of, and I already have a Costco membership. I went ahead and ordered four tires from parrishtirecompany on eBay, and for the time being I'll stick with my 195-75R14 spare. At least until I get a better roof rack like yours!

Thanks again for all the information, sure made it easy for me.

John

8/25/2018 update: I had Costco install the Kendas a few days ago (I was already a member, cost $14/tire), and they are a major improvement in roundness and reduced noise. On the way home there is a 4 mile stretch of brand new pavement that's downhill, so I put in the clutch (to quiet the exhaust leak) and leaned out the window while coasting. They are audible, but still pretty quiet. Granted, that's the best possible condition but I'm very happy with them. The Costco tire shop said the previous tires showed wear that could have been due to misalignment (no surprise, the last alignment was by me laying in the gravel with a tape measure after replacing the steering rack four years ago) so I took it to Big O for an alignment. They found too much bearing play for them to do the work so I have to replace the bearings and take it back. Good crew at Big O in Santa Rosa, Ca, they took me out to the rack to show me the bearing play, and then under the rack to see a bunch of other stuff that should get some attention (that rack is now leaking, as is the rear main seal, PS hoses, valve cover, and oil pressure sending unit). One of the techs had been a master tech at Toyota and had seen many vans so had good suggestions. They spent a half hour with me and didn't charge a dime.
    Last edited by Jbbishop2; 08-25-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Re: Tires for the stock rims on my 1988 4WD Van.

I have the Kenda tires on the way, but a conversation about retread tires made me wonder about what happened to them. I remember retreads being a low cost option when I was a few decades younger but hadn't heard of them for passenger vehicles. Looked them up today, and it turns out they're not only still legal, the state of California endorses them.

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Tires/P...s/Retreads.htm

"Thanks to advances in technology and rubber chemistry, tire retreading practices have improved to the point where retread tires perform as good, or even better, than new tires. Millions of retreads are safely used on commercial and military jets, school and municipal buses, small package delivery services, the U.S. Postal Service, as well as on fire engines and other emergency vehicles, taxis, race cars, and all types of commercial vehicles. The proven safety and reliability of today's retreads, along with their favorable economics compared to new tires, is spurring continued retreading growth. The environmental and economic benefits of retreading supported establishment of a federal Executive Order (13149) mandating use of retreads on government vehicles whenever possible."

These might fit the vans
    https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/...d-mega-mud-mt/

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

JB - While they would fit you wouldn't want them on your van, they are bias ply and NOT rated for highway service.

Insurance companies are not at all sympathetic, in those cases.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    JB - While they would fit you wouldn't want them on your van, they are bias ply and NOT rated for highway service.

Insurance companies are not at all sympathetic, in those cases.
    Doh! You're right, I didn't look far enough down the page to see the description. My error..

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE

Any thoughts out there on how loud the General Grabbers are?
    Anyone tried the newer General Grabber AT/X?? I read something about less road noise... Still not sure if they'd fit an un-lifted 89 4wd with zero to minimal modification (maybe a little hammering)...

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van 1987 Toyota 4wd LE

I just put GG AT/x 27x8.5 R14 on my 87 4WD LE TV 214k miles automatic, No lift, all stock suspension. I did remove the mud flaps to make sure I had room for the new tires. They are Great, I love the stiffnes of them and the aggressive sidewall tread. I do get some tire rub up front on the lower Brody trim piece, not to bad, the more I drive the less it rubs and the rub only happens when turning but I can still turn on a dime like it was designed to do. The rub is about 3/4 the way threw a sharp turn but once the wheel is fully turned its past its rub spot. I have put about 800 miles on the tires so far. The noise of the tire is fine, its loader than passenger tires but not by much, I have not driven over 50mph yet.
    I drove the van down some 4WD trails and the tires did really well, it climbed up a steep sandy hill, over some rocks, and made it threw some small mud holes with out any problems.
    I was nerves about buying these tires because I don't want to lift the van (yet?) but I was sick of the passenger car tires they always seem to get lumpy and I never trusted them for any off-road situations. So far I really like these tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    2003 Eurovan & 88 Toyota 4x4 Van

Re: Tires for the stock rims on 4WD Van.

Question for Roger and some of others that went with the Kenda's -
    It's been two years for Roger (less for others) using the Kenda's. Can you update us on your experience with the Kenda's? This is the way I am leaning for my 88 4x4 and was wondering if you are still happy with your decision? Any issues with rubbing when the steering wheel is turned at max, or hard braking (nose diving) situations?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I have had my Kenda's since Feb '18. The only issue I've had is that they rub at full turn, never over bumps. The rub is not on the body, but rather a flap of metal on the forward inner part of the wheel well. Easy to avoid by not turning to the max. This problem might be easily fixed by adding a turn to the torsion bar nuts. I have two 1" spacers in the rear and lifted the front end to match the rear. Road noise is not loud, in my opinion. Previous to Kenda's I was using Mastercraft Glacier Grip II and the Kenda's do not seem much, if any, louder. I would definitely buy the Kenda Klever A/Ts again.

I guess there is one other problem, and that is that the tire does not fit in the stock spare tire carrier. Have to craft a new carrier. Until that time, I carry my spare on the roof.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by Mackd View Post
    Can you update us on your experience with the Kenda's?
    Mine has been good. After looking into it, my van does have a little lift installed by the previous owner, so no issue with rubbing, even at full turn — but that might not be the case for a stock van. Less road noise has been a big plus. They've worn and performed well, with all the miles I've put on the van. About the time I changed tires, I also got new shocks and some front end stuff done, so that helped the ride too. I'd probably buy them again, unless I come across something new that I'm tempted by. If I don't sell the van before it comes time to again (the lack of ac about killed me last summer).

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thank you guys. This was very helpful.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE

Thanks Traveling Amman!! I just found your reply!! (I've been looking for this thread but got swept down so many interesting rabbit holes that I just made it back!!) Going to try the AT/x route today...If Discount will mount 'em...I appreciate the pics. Happy Trails~

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Update to my previous post:
    I ended up going with the Goodyear Wrangler AT’s. They are a bit pricey, and only come in one flavor that will fit our vans (LT 195 75R14). They look good, they are quiet, and they do not rub when turning your wheel at full max AT ALL! I have had them for about a month now and really like them a lot. Just something for all to consider.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 Toyota Cargo Van, 5SPD 4x4

Mackd, I may go with the Goodyears as well. Is your van stock?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Update to my previous post:
    I ended up going with the Goodyear Wrangler AT’s. They are a bit pricey, and only come in one flavor that will fit our vans (LT 195 75R14). They look good, they are quiet, and they do not rub when turning your wheel at full max AT ALL! I have had them for about a month now and really like them a lot. Just something for all to consider.
    The cheapest I found that tire was at Walmart for $238? EACH? Am I reading that right? WTF? Grabber At's are like $120. And, they are smaller than the stock 205/75/R14.

Unless I am looking at the wrong tire here. I hope I am.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-All-Terrain-Adventure-195-75R14/43085816?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=2222222222203119 7942&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=103 59600279&wl4=pla-4578710037001209&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl 12=43085816_10000018314&wl14=goodyear%20195%2075%2 014&veh=sem&msclkid=a9fe31229b4f131633ba6c65384791 aa

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Yes my van is totally stock. As I said they (the Wranglers) are pricey, but I have not had ANY problems with ride, noise, wear due to rubbing. For me it's easier to pay the price and just drive my van and not have to worry about collateral damage due to tire issues. Don't get me wrong, I think the Grabbers are awesome!
    On another unrelated topic, my van is having all paint and body issues sorted as we speak. Removed the front and rear windows, fixed small rust issues and hope to pick it up from the shop in the next few weeks. I got rid of the silver paint color, keeping the two tone, but going with white and stock charcoal (lower part of van). I will be glad to get it back.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Yes my van is totally stock. As I said they (the Wranglers) are pricey, but I have not had ANY problems with ride, noise, wear due to rubbing. For me it's easier to pay the price and just drive my van and not have to worry about collateral damage due to tire issues. Don't get me wrong, I think the Grabbers are awesome!
    On another unrelated topic, my van is having all paint and body issues sorted as we speak. Removed the front and rear windows, fixed small rust issues and hope to pick it up from the shop in the next few weeks. I got rid of the silver paint color, keeping the two tone, but going with white and stock charcoal (lower part of van). I will be glad to get it back.

Sounds like a cool scheme on the paint! Will look forward to seeing it! We all spend money in different ways I suppose, that just seemed like alot per tire, considering the alternatives out there. I just replaced the front windshield in mine, not as bad as I thought at 230 bucks out the door.

Is your milage off aat all with the 195/75's?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Hey there Flecker. The milage has not changed much, but your speedo does show that you are going about 2.6MPH (or something like that) faster than you actually are. Other then that, no problems. I will send some pics out for sure when I get it back.