Thread: Oil Level Sensor Trouble

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Oil Level Sensor Trouble

I've noticed my oil level light (not the oil pressure) has been coming on and off, acting finicky. Checked the oil, and it's up where it needs to be. Had my mechanic buddy look at it, and he agreed that the sensor was probably going bad. Also, it's seeping oil where it plugs into the pan... nothing major, but making a mess of things down there.

Found a gasket for a $1.37: https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/oempartscat.html

Found the sensor for $195.21: https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/oempartscat.html

Anyone know if this part can be had for less somewhere? Or is that the best I can expect, assuming it is actually in stock? I'd go to a salvage for one, but they've smashed all of the vans locally. And on my list of stuff to fix, there are plenty of other things that would come before throwing close to $200 at an oil level sensor, when I could easily ignore the light and check my oil regularly. Maybe I should just replace the gasket next oil change, to stop the leak. It would be nice to at least get that mess cleaned up, so if any leaks that are more serious were to happen, it's easier to spot them.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 5 speed manual 4WD with HiLo

Re: Oil Level Sensor Trouble

I had the same problem about a year ago, a finicky oil light and soon after a leak at the sensor. I saw the same price online for a new sensor, but I couldn't justify it... fortunately for me there was one at the pick'n'pull about 2 weeks after I noticed it. I think it was 5 bucks, a much better deal! I probably should have replaced the gasket but I didn't and it seems to be holding its oil. The light seems to be accurate again as well.

Once you get the sensor, be careful pulling the old one out. I had to rotate mine several times to find the sweet spot. Also, plan to change you oil at the same time so the oil pan is empty. I hope you find one!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I've noticed my oil level light (not the oil pressure) has been coming on and off, acting finicky. Checked the oil, and it's up where it needs to be. Had my mechanic buddy look at it, and he agreed that the sensor was probably going bad. Also, it's seeping oil where it plugs into the pan... nothing major, but making a mess of things down there.

Found a gasket for a $1.37: https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/oempartscat.html

Found the sensor for $195.21: https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/oempartscat.html

Anyone know if this part can be had for less somewhere? Or is that the best I can expect, assuming it is actually in stock? I'd go to a salvage for one, but they've smashed all of the vans locally. And on my list of stuff to fix, there are plenty of other things that would come before throwing close to $200 at an oil level sensor, when I could easily ignore the light and check my oil regularly. Maybe I should just replace the gasket next oil change, to stop the leak. It would be nice to at least get that mess cleaned up, so if any leaks that are more serious were to happen, it's easier to spot them.
    Did you get a new gasket? Have you resolved the oil light flickering issue? Mine's been flickering, but my oil level is fine.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by fuquan View Post
    Did you get a new gasket? Have you resolved the oil light flickering issue? Mine's been flickering, but my oil level is fine.
    I did get the gasket, but decided to save myself the trouble of installing it... close inspection revealed the sensor to be leaking through the plastic where the wire passes into it. So I've just resigned myself to having oil seep out of it very slowly. Won't be fixed unless I get a new sensor. My oil level remains fine though, and I haven't had to add any, so I've just gotten used to seeing it flicker occasionally. No worries if you check your oil all the time like I do.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Conversion

Does your light go on and off at random? Mine kind of does it randomly but it actually does it more at idle, and when I accelerate it usually cuts off. My oil is full as well. Not sure what the deal is ???

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD Toyota Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by Speach View Post
    Does your light go on and off at random? Mine kind of does it randomly but it actually does it more at idle, and when I accelerate it usually cuts off. My oil is full as well. Not sure what the deal is ???
    Yeah, mine acts in a very similar fashion. Then I had a long spell where it didn't come on, and just recently it started doing it again. Just the sensor going out I guess. My mechanic said it's no big deal, since I'm not using or losing any oil at all... just an annoying light I have to try and ignore. I've never had a look at it myself, but I assume the sensor relies on some kind of float. Probably sticks at idle and comes unstuck at higher rpms when the oil pump is doing more work? Just a guess. I kinda wonder if I shouldn't just disable it somehow. Seems kinda redundant, since I keep such a good eye on my oil pressure gauge.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I had the same issue, check out this thread if you haven't already done a search on the topic-

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ht=level+light

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Conversion

Thanks, yea thats not a light that I enjoy seeing. Especially on an older car you know. Ive replaced all kinds of stuff, just not everything.