Thread: Hose of Death blew on me

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Hose of Death blew on me

pretty sure it happened when I swapped out my red lever stant radiator cap out with a non-lever radiator cap.

was sitting at an ATM depositing money when I heard a weird noise and WHOOSH the coolant hitting the hot manifold all I could do was shut the car off and wait for it to stop. once it stopped I drove home which was 2 miles away and heres the damage.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/ThePo...jxlau.mp4.html

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Re: Hose of Death blew on me

This happened to me too back in January. I was driving back from Phoenix on I-10 when the temperature gauge started creeping up and wasn't stopping. I turned on the heater, which at first blew hot, but towards the end was just blowing room-temperature air at me. I pulled it over right before it got up into the red, shut her off and opened the lid. After a mondo expensive tow back to Tucson, I was able to find the culprit.

Name:  2015-01-31 11.51.18.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  96.8 KB

I remember the previous owner stating that he had replaced the hose of death, so an access hole was already cut (and the cut out panel was held together with duct tape somehow ). If you look at the hose, it was fuel line hose, which almost surely was the reason behind the failure. Patched her up properly and no more leaks!

These hoses have been the end of many of our vans, so I'm glad to hear that you caught it in time and it sounds like no real damage to the motor was sustained.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Nothing alittle duck tape can't fix but Ya it's temporary. Old hose was rock hard

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

My van had a lot of duck tape repairs when I got it too. I think I have them all fixed properly now, but haven't done that hose yet. I guess I should get on that soon.

Looks like your PO started to use a hole saw in the wrong place first - notice the hole at the bottom right.