Thread: Rear wiper motor problems!

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Rear wiper motor problems!

My rear wiper motor hasn't worked in five years. Not sure if the motor is bad or the switch is bad. How can I test this sucker to see if the motor is actually bad?

My Van(s):

Re: Rear wiper motor not working - How to test?

I'm going to answer my own question.

1. Remove Motor
    2. To test low speed operation connect a positive battery lead terminal 2 on the wiper motor. Connect negative battery lead to the motor body. If wiper motor works then low speed operation is good.
    3. To test high speed repeat step 2 but connect positive lead to terminal 1. If wiper motor works then high speed is good.

Not sure about testing the switch yet.
    Last edited by brentlehr; 03-29-2015 at 06:11 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Almost every time I've troubleshooted this problem it ended up being broken wires inside the little accordion tube (right side top) on the rear hatch frame. Every time the hatch gets opened/closed these wires bend back/forth. Over the years they fracture and break. It's not always visually obvious. It's actually common to see the wire insulation intact, but the copper strands inside are often broken (copper work hardens). When I fix, I avoid using butt connectors or anything rigid inside the flex-tube area. Any more I just cut all the wires off on each side, then put new wires inside the flex tube, then butt connect and stuff the connectors into a stationary spot inside the door and in the door frame. I usually leave 2 or 3" extra on both both sides of the splice before tucking them in and re-attaching the accordion flex-tube. Tim

My Van(s):

Spot on! The wiring was totally split on all the wires running on the passenger side. Did a quick splice to test and I have a rear wiper!

Out of curiosity I checked the drivers side since my reverse lights have never worked. Found three wires totally split in half but no luck after repair. Guess it is the neutral safety switch.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by brentlehr View Post
    Guess it is the neutral safety switch.
    Or maybe just bulbs and/or corrosion on the socket and/or contacts. Believe it or not, I've had several vans without B/U lights and figured just no way both bulbs were out.............only they were (new bulbs solved the problem). Tim

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota cargo van.

Rear windshield wiper switch won't turn off.

Hello all.Like the title said,it just runs all the time.I know I can pull the fuse but can anyone maybe point me in the right direction of fixing it?Much appreciated.
    1986 cargo van,2wd auto.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Re: Rear windshield wiper switch won't turn off.

more than likely it is a seized on relay mounted on the reservoir.....the funny thing bout this Is that I found a relay that fit at a local hardware store in the auto section for 10 dollars

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota cargo van.

Quote Originally Posted by nikifix View Post
    more than likely it is a seized on relay mounted on the reservoir.....the funny thing bout this Is that I found a relay that fit at a local hardware store in the auto section for 10 dollars
    Thanks for the reply.I was going to start by pulling the trim off dash and check switch first but now I'm rethinking it.The wiper washer pump works fine front and rear but the wiper motor just runs all the time.I'm guessing that's why the wiper arm has been removed from the mount.Not sure where I'll start with it but I'll give it a go.Thanks nikifix.
    Last edited by TheCarolinian; 09-01-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota cargo van.

Ok,after some further research I found it could be the park switch/relay on the motor itself.I'll start there after I replace the fuse because that apparently can cause this problem as well.Will report back.

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota cargo van.

Problem solved using this trouble shooting link I found on Rockauto. Was a failed ground. http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT 40-0001.pdf

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Rear wiper Motor works but the arm does not move

Rear wiper Motor works but the arm does not move. Does the rear wiper motor have a wiper "transmission"

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Rear wiper Motor works but the arm does not move

Doesn't have a separate transmission its all integral with the motor.

Sometimes the splines wear, best to pop the rear arm off, if the spindle turns the splines/arm are shot, if the spindle doesn't turn, the gears are stripped.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

actually there are a couple linkage arms and plastic joints that could fail...cant seem to post pics right now...ive ripped that stuff out of most my vans..

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Apologies to JPERL and thanks to Boogie for the correction.

I admit I haven't had mine out yet and wouldn't normally chime in without first hand knowledge.
    In my defence, I based my observation on the one that came in several boxes of "van" parts.

I suppose what this really means is I don't actually have a spare :(

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Name:  IMG_3479.jpg
Views: 1945
Size:  92.7 KB

Plastic gears in here could have gone bad.

Name:  IMG_3480.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  93.2 KB

Or one of this ball joints.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 le

Can't stop rear window wiper -- help!

My '84 van was working really well, no activity out of the ordinary, started in the morning with no anomalies.
    Then, after sitting for about 8 hours, when it started up, the rear window wiper started up without my having touched the dashboard button. I can't get it to stop. Pushing the button, restarting the van ... nothing works.

So, what can I do? Ideas on what the cause is, anyone? Is there a fuse I can remove to stop it (without disabling anything else)? Where, exactly, is the fuse box, and which fuse do I pull to do the trick?

Thanks for any help.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Re: Can't stop rear window wiper -- help!

there is a pump relay in the side panel where the water reservoir is.....it has stuck on and needs replacement....there is a after market one for ten bucks in automotive part shops, which fits.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 le

Re: Can't stop rear window wiper -- help!

there is a pump relay in the side panel where the water reservoir is.....it has stuck on and needs replacement....there is a after market one for ten bucks in automotive part shops, which fits.
    Sorry — which side panel, and where?
    Also, that reservoir has been missing-in-action for years, and I didn’t push the panel button to call for the wiper.

Do you know of anyway to stop it short of replacing relay ... like, as I thought, just yanking the fuse? I don’t need for the wiper to work ... just to stop.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Re: Rear wiper motor problems!

Sorry I was thinking of the washer pump...just remove backdoor panel and remove wire

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 le

Re: Rear wiper motor problems!

Sorry I was thinking of the washer pump...just remove backdoor panel and remove wire
    So, taking into account similar angsts reported on this forum, And especially one that suggested that the problem could be bare touching wires in the accordion-like conduit at the top of the door, I figured, what the hell, let me do the lowest-tech thing possible — so I just wrapped my hand around that black pleated thing and just squeezed it tight a few times — the equivalent of giving a misbehaving TV a good smack. Voila! No more wiper problem. It likely isn’t a permanent fix, but at least I know where the problem is located. And when/if it returns, I’ll take your advice and remove the wire. Thanks.