Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cooling system Mods

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota LE

Re: Cooling system Mods

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    It's just a heat exchanger so it makes no difference which hose goes where .
    First post but digging into some over due research to fix my partially blown head gasket. It's been bad since I went through Death Valley and it was 128 degrees out! Not cool. Literally. I just ordered the Ranger heater core and Tees suggested here and will install that as part of the rebuild.

Anyway, it might be minor but won't adding the extra cooling effect the flow of coolant to the internal front heater core of the van? It seems like you are counting on the coolant flow being strong enough to circulate through both cores or maybe the front heat isn't that important to you, like here in San Francisco.

Thanks so much for this amazing forum BTW!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's a quote from post #10 of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    FYI, I determined the valve and the cable are not necessary. I put that on thinking the van would take too long to warm up in the winter and/or maybe run too cold. Turns out I just leave it open all the time anyhow and van warms up fine. Heater works good too. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

I installed a shutoff valve (scavenged from a junkyard vehicle) and find it useful. I live in Utah where it gets cold in the winter. I want my engine to heat up quickly and my heater to blow as hot as possible when it's -10 degrees! I didn't install a remote cable though, usually I just crawl under the van to open the valve in the spring once freezing temperatures are over with and leave it open through the summer.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's a good point if you live where it gets extremely cold. It rarely gets below freezing where I live. If you live where it gets below zero then having a valve there could be beneficial. Tim

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto ————————

y.jpg

Just wanted to share my experience with this process. I chose to go with the dorman y 5/8 47238hp. I think this will provide better flow than the standard T and create less turbulence in the cooling system. It also makes for a cleaner install or at least cleaner for my install skills. The hose can be held closer to the body and reduces the amount of any hanging hoses or kinks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...YaAuyiEALw_wcB

My Van(s):
    Toyota LiteAce CM40G 2CT 4WD 1986 GXL G52 F253 LSD

good day. Changed my system using an aluminum tank from https://aliexpress.ru/item/32311343080. ... 33ed5lz0ZW Air from the radiator and engine, started through different fittings. You can also see other options for implementing this idea. https://mikrob.ru/viewtopic.php?t=26670
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

anyone who has done this mod, do you monitor trans temps?
    added a trans cooler but doesnt help when in 4wd above 90 outside.
    mods coming when the timing belt gets done.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 2wd automatic 1989 toyota van le 4x4 automatic

Hello everyone has anyone tried adding an additional cooling fan to the condenser I recently had the ac compressor replaced at Toyota but it doesn't get very cold especially on days above 90°F. Will this help it get colder or is there anything else I can do?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

This thread is more about cooling systems than AC systems and there are about a thousand threads on AC issues.
    That said:

The reality is that when new, these vans had no cooling issues, it is years of abuse and neglect that have compromised the various systems.
    Your money is better spent on correcting systems and returning them to original spec than to try to invent a work around to mask the real problem.

Tim uses his vehicles in ways Toyota never intended, so his additional rad makes total sense for a severely overloaded rig.
    For a normal daily driver, there should be no need for such extremes mods.
    And if those extremes are needed, something else is broken and should be addressed appropriately.

Did your AC work (and cool well) prior to compressor replacement?
    Why was the compressor replaced?
    Did they convert to 134 at same time?

Adding another fan might help but if the condenser is unable to dissipate heat, it doesn't matter how many fans you have blowing over it.
    The system needs to be diagnosed by a competent technician

My Van(s):
    1987 Cargo: 'LOLVAN'

Checking in on this, since I shared my initial experience -

I still have my van and I still have the additional "radiator" four years later.

I take the van from L.A. up to rural Northern California about three times a year, and I definitely notice the extra cooling chugging up the big passes we have to deal with to get from south to north or up the hills. I can definitely drive harder with less worry than I used to, even in more extreme situations (90+ degree temps, etc.)

That said, I totally agree with burntheboot here (I know you all were talking about a/c, but still) - the extra radiator is no substitute for a properly functioning cooling system. An example: Prior to COVID, I was driving the van as a commuter in heavy freeway traffic daily; eventually it would start to heat up. I chalked it to stop and go traffic, UNTIL i noticed that I had a small leak in my upper radiator hose. So... regardless, I was going to lose coolant/overheat/be screwed until I had my cooling system sealed, extra radiator or not.

My mod also came after a head gasket replacement. That said, in a harder driving, hot weather, or wanting to utilize a/c situation, this is definitely a nice trick, given the cost and benefit. But replace your hoses, ensure your radiator is in good shape, and make sure your fan clutch is functional prior to this modification!