Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cooling system Mods

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota LE

Re: Cooling system Mods

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    It's just a heat exchanger so it makes no difference which hose goes where .
    First post but digging into some over due research to fix my partially blown head gasket. It's been bad since I went through Death Valley and it was 128 degrees out! Not cool. Literally. I just ordered the Ranger heater core and Tees suggested here and will install that as part of the rebuild.

Anyway, it might be minor but won't adding the extra cooling effect the flow of coolant to the internal front heater core of the van? It seems like you are counting on the coolant flow being strong enough to circulate through both cores or maybe the front heat isn't that important to you, like here in San Francisco.

Thanks so much for this amazing forum BTW!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's a quote from post #10 of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    FYI, I determined the valve and the cable are not necessary. I put that on thinking the van would take too long to warm up in the winter and/or maybe run too cold. Turns out I just leave it open all the time anyhow and van warms up fine. Heater works good too. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

I installed a shutoff valve (scavenged from a junkyard vehicle) and find it useful. I live in Utah where it gets cold in the winter. I want my engine to heat up quickly and my heater to blow as hot as possible when it's -10 degrees! I didn't install a remote cable though, usually I just crawl under the van to open the valve in the spring once freezing temperatures are over with and leave it open through the summer.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's a good point if you live where it gets extremely cold. It rarely gets below freezing where I live. If you live where it gets below zero then having a valve there could be beneficial. Tim