Thread: Air Conditioning stopped working on an 1988 LE

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Air Conditioning stopped working on an 1988 LE

Hello Van Friends,

I would like to know if there are some things I can do to try an remedy the problem myself before I take it to a mechanic.

Here is the situation:

The blower works on all speeds for both the front and rear a/c.
    The a/c light for both for the front and rear illuminats when pressed.
    While the a/c is on and blower running the air is not cold.
    The fan on top of the a/c radiator (is it called condenser?) that is positioned parallel to the ground in front is not working.

I am not sure if it is related, but I did unbolt and unplug the condenser and fan. While leaving them connected to the hoses, I laid the unit on its side while repairing a broken steering bracket.

Any chance I shorted something or kinked a copper line.

I know it is like taking a shot in the dark when diagnosing a/c problems. But I would appreciate any help.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Re: Air Conditioning stopped working on an 1988 LE

I did some more searching on this forum and read the 1987 service manual concerning A/C.

When the A/C is on I do not think the compressor is turning on.

The van no longer idles up when the A/C is engaged.

I am wondering why all the a/c components that deal with the Freon have stopped functioning?

Is there a relay or a fuse that would have blown that would cause these symptoms and still allow the front and rear blowers to work?

Thanks!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

If I'm not mistaken, there is a pressure switch in the vicinity of the condenser you removed. It's job is to only allow the compressor to run if there is adequate refrigerant pressure. Perhaps you inadvertently unplugged it. There's a drawing on page AC-52 in the manual that shows it.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a pressure switch in the vicinity of the condenser you removed. It's job is to only allow the compressor to run if there is adequate refrigerant pressure. Perhaps you inadvertently unplugged it. There's a drawing on page AC-52 in the manual that shows it.

Thanks for the help! I sure hope that is it. I will report back later for an update.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I had some time today to investigate the current issue I am having with the air conditioning system.

Here is what I found:

The single wire that connects to the Water Temperature Sensor is completely severed at the plastic connector (G in the Diagram below) with out room to splice to back together.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at 7.23.18 PM.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  10.9 KB

I have two questions:

Any suggestions on how to repair this issue?

Would this cause my air conditioning system to stop blowing cold air?

Thank you,

Ian

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Update: Air Conditioning stopped working on an 1988 LE

I was able to retrofit a female terminal end on the coolant temperature wire and reconnect it to the coolant temperature sensor itself. The A/C still does not work and I do not notice any difference in the vans operation. Either the sensor is not the problem or it is not functioning entirely. I am going to replace it with one from rockauto when I order a new tps.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Not a lot you can do with diagnosing/repairing this type of problem unless you're willing to spend some money on tools. Assuming your van hasn't been converted to R134A (still using R-12) you will need an R-12 manifold gauge set. With the gauge set check the pressure in the system. Use the AC section of the service manual to guide you. If pressure is low, then you'll need to add Freon. As Original says, there is a pressure switch in the system. If the charge has become low, this switch will prevent compressor operation. If adequate pressure is indicated with the gauge set, then check the switch for continuity. If it's closed, then this is not your issue. There are other things (beside low pressure) that can prevent compressor operation, but low pressure is the most common. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Not a lot you can do with diagnosing/repairing this type of problem unless you're willing to spend some money on tools. Assuming your van hasn't been converted to R134A (still using R-12) you will need an R-12 manifold gauge set. With the gauge set check the pressure in the system. Use the AC section of the service manual to guide you. If pressure is low, then you'll need to add Freon. As Original says, there is a pressure switch in the system. If the charge has become low, this switch will prevent compressor operation. If adequate pressure is indicated with the gauge set, then check the switch for continuity. If it's closed, then this is not your issue. There are other things (beside low pressure) that can prevent compressor operation, but low pressure is the most common. Tim
    Hey tim any step by step on how to recharge the system with r12? I got a Freeze 12 kit Im just not sure on exactly the way to go about it. Van running, AC on charge from low side?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've only used R-12 with a manifold set & charging station. I've never tried Freeze 12. If that's the way you want to go, then follow product instructions. The charge ports are under the front of the van. Refer to the FSM for more specific information. Tim