Thread: brief burning smell and loss of power, now: no power windows, locks and front fan ???

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 Toyota Van

brief burning smell and loss of power, now: no power windows, locks and front fan ???

I was driving up a hill and felt the van have a sudden loss of power, at the same time, there was suddenly an intoxicating burning smell. The smell seemed to stop and the engine began to have normal power. The van drove home fine and continues to start right up and drive normally, except: the power windows, power locks, and front heater blower fan all stopped working. I haven’t noticed anything else that seems to have stopped working.

Any suggestions? I have searched through the forum and can’t figure out what could possibly be a common link to those things.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd manual trans cargo conversion

Re: brief burning smell and loss of power, now: no power windows, locks and front fan

The loss of power is troubling... It sounds like you may have blown a fuse in the least. Check your fuses and see if any of them have popped, and better yet, check your fuse panels THEMSELVES as well as the wiring around them, as a loss of power coupled with a burning smell seems indicative of a serious load on the alternator and something shorting out quite violently. Hook your meter up to the batt'ry and see if the charging system is still working, too. Rule out alternator failure.

Follow your nose. Burnt electronic smells tend to linger, and you should be able to find out where your problem is. Be careful! Don't risk losing your beloved van to a fire!

I could be wrong, though. Heck, I usually am wrong, just ask my wife! Better safe than sorry, though! Good luck!
    "What? Me, worry?" *nervously looks at temp gauge*