Thread: Adding an Altimeter to a Van

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    none yet!

Adding an Altimeter to a Van

This is a strange question!

In short, I am wondering if it's at all possible to install a Toyota Altimeter into a van. The question is maybe better phrased as "are the mechanics for these alimeters in the device itself, or does it run off something else it needs to be plugged into".

Here is an example of what I'm mentioning

1986 Toyota SR5 4Runner Altimeter on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261801731047

A few months ago I saw a Mitsubishi Delica and it looked great with that extra information, here's an example of that:

mitsubishi-delica-4wd_interior_0.jpg

Thanks for any help!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Adding an Altimeter to a Van

Here's a picture I found on-line. Evidently they put them in on some of the foreign market vans. Tim

Here's one with a hood for a better price (although no altimeter):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-4Runn...586be5&vxp=mtr

Not sure about the wires. Perhaps just for illumination? Can't imagine these needing anything else except for 12 VDC and ground. Other than that they should be self containted. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I have looked into this quite a bit. They are commonly referred to as an inclinomter or clinometer,are purely mechanical in operation, and the wiring is for illumination. The one without the altimeter is for a Tercel wagon and incorporates the 4WD indicator in the altimeter location and includes additional wiring for this function. If an adapter harness is included, it's basically a t-harness and should plug inline with either the heater illumination or cigarette lighter(I have read both). Otherwise the wiring consists of a power and ground as Tim said and can be wired to a switched power source or into the dash lighting circuit. Factory mounting uses a u-shaped bracket similar to what you would use for a cb radio that is bolted to the dash. On the trucks the holes for these are apparently commmonly found in the steel plate on the underside of the dashpad filled with the moulded foam that it's made from. The gauge assembly mounts to the bracket and the hood/cover attaches over it. You will also need a hole in the dashpad for the wiring to pass through. Hope this helps!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    none yet!

Thanks for the feedback, it helps out a lot. Power and ground is what I had assumed, thanks for the confirmation.