Thread: anyone ever get this RPM problem?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

anyone ever get this RPM problem? Video

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: anyone ever get this RPM problem?

That's interesting. Just a few quick questions. Was the cruise control on? Was the A/C on? Of course I'm assuming you did not manually change throttle position with your foot.........right? Is there or has there ever been an aftermarket cruise control system installed? Have you checked the ECU for trouble codes? Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    That's interesting. Just a few quick questions. Was the cruise control on? Was the A/C on? Of course I'm assuming you did not manually change throttle position with your foot.........right? Is there or has there ever been an aftermarket cruise control system installed? Have you checked the ECU for trouble codes? Tim
    it goes crazy when I turn cruise control on (OEM too) I never turn the AC on either. I do have to let off the throttle to "let the automatic transmission shift gears though"

I was thinking its the TPS because the only code thats going is the TPS one.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's kind of hard to tell from the video, but I was thinking it could be shifting in & out of OD. Does it do that at any other speeds or with the OD turned off? Perhaps you just need to adjust the kick-down cable??? Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

It's kind of hard to tell from the video, but I was thinking it could be shifting in & out of OD. Does it do that at any other speeds or with the OD turned off? Perhaps you just need to adjust the kick-down cable??? Tim

YES its always in OD THEN POOF out of OD! (same force on the pedal) for no reason! Im like wtf? happens alot on the highway too!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Take a look at this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...months-sitting

Here's the spot in the manual where they talk about adjusting the kick-down (they call it throttle cable).

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota van awd 1988

tell me if it's the similar problem i have:

i'm cruising on the highway using cruise control . And then suddenly the transmission lost the overdrive, then i have to put the cruise control off and the OD come again. This can happen randomly, i means it can happen 5 minutes after using cruise control or after 1 hour...

And this happen only when i use cruise control.(lost of OD)

Another question, the handbook tell about reading codes on cruise control (page BE-47) but they don't explain how to read code. Can anyone know? it look similar to read check engine code.

thanks

Jerome

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Could it be the vehicle encountering a hill? When vehicle starts up a slope, the throttle is increased to compensate for the vehicle slowing down. If throttle is increased enough, the kick-down cable will send the transmission out of OD and/or into a lower gear. Within certain parameters this is normal operation (vehicle produces more power/accelerates quicker in the lower gears). If it stayed in OD in these type conditions the engine would bog and speed would be lost. If it happens excessively or not at all, then the kick down cable could be out of adjustment or perhaps disconnected and/or broken. Check adjustment per the above post. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota van awd 1988

Could it be the vehicle encountering a hill?
    no! it happen even on a flat road. With cruise control "On", the OD disengage.

I finally found how to read cruise control diagnosis code. I continue to discover my van!

Jerome