Thread: Fuse panel / fuse block

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

Smile Fuse panel / fuse block

In a previous post, I related my problem with wiper fuse blowing. Finally had time today to really investigate, and found the trouble in the fuse panel. With a circuit breaker installed in place of the fuse, the panel got so hot it smoked!! I have previously had to modify the headlight connector at the panel, and I can see it has been overheated in another spot. My fix was to hot wire the wipers, while keeping power to the panel thru the connector. The hot wire that supplies power to the wiper circuit also powers up the turn indicators and the overdrive circuit. I don't know if the fuse panels will interchange 86 and later with my 85 panel, but I would like to find a good used one. I am trying to keep this van on the road, as it runs and drives very well, and has a lot of recent new parts in it. It is a rusty mess, body wise, but it did a 1500 mile round trip NY to NC a couple of weeks ago, 25 MPG average loaded for travel.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 van/wagon, 1999 sienna

Fuse box fire in need of A replacement

1987 TV dx? 2.2 4Yemotor has regular windows but has leaf springs as well automatic transmission
    Hi all, so 2 days ago I noticed my temperature gauge was not moving or the gas gauge. and when I first turned the key some dash lights did not come on so I checked fuses and noticed the "gauge" fuse 7.5 was blown. I replaced it with a 5amp just to see if it would blow quickly but it held fine. This morning after 10 min of driving I smelled plastic burning and after another 5 min behold there was a small fire starting from my fuse box. Pulled over shut off the van and put the fire out. Waited for the smoke and the horrible smell of burnt plastic to clear and drove home 5 min away.

Upon removal/disassembly/inspection of the fuse box sure enough only wire burnt is a thin red with blue stripe from a connector on the back of the fuse box leading directly to one end of the gauge fuse. Here are some pics

my question is what does that red with blue stripe wire power? I was able to determine on autozone that it's for the check engine light and reverse lamps. I checked the bulbs and wiring and seem fine. Van is automatic and by the shifter there is a transmission relay that seems fine as well. Not sure what to look for any help is greatly appreciated. Also in need of a new fuse box if anybody has one.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Fuse box fire in need of A replacement

Man that sucks!!! I don't know anything about the electronics but you might wanna jump on this tonight via email-

https://www.autowrecking.com/parts/view/id/7708260
    https://www.autowrecking.com/parts/view/id/7708260

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Part of Fuse Block with EFI Fuse and Cold Start System Missing

I discovered my 1989 Van that I bought has the part of the fuse block with the two isolated fuses for EFI and cold start system missing. Everything works flawlessly. The previous owner said the cooling unit in the dash was replaced. The main fuse block is zip tied in place. You can see where the isolated compartment was snapped off from the main fuse block I am assuming the two fuses are in tact but just tucked away out of view. I see you cannot get a new fuse block anymore. Anybody have one laying around? The part circled in red is broken off and the fuses 19 and 20 are missing or hidden/relocated

Name:  fuse.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  101.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JPERL; 08-10-2016 at 01:31 PM.