Thread: 4wd Automatic and new to the forum. Need help sourcing a good starter!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Currently: 89 4wd Toyota Van auto 87 4wd Toyota Van 5spd 84 2wd Toyota Van Auto Country Homes Poptop Previous: 89 Mitsubishi Star Wagon (Delica) 87 Toyota Van Le (2wd) 82 VW Vanagon Diesel Camper

4wd Automatic and new to the forum. Need help sourcing a good starter!

Hi guys,

I'm on my 3rd of 4th autozone starter in 12 months, I've lost count. Can anybody recommend a more reliable source?

Thanks!

Peter

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: 4wd Automatic and new to the forum. Need help sourcing a good starter!

Hi & welcome to TVT! Are you sure it's the starter? It's not unusual for these vans to develop problems in the trigger circuit and/or battery cables. Here's a thread where this is discussed: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...&p=966#post966

BTW, I'm moving this thread to the regular Toyota Van tech forum because this issue is not 4wd specific. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Currently: 89 4wd Toyota Van auto 87 4wd Toyota Van 5spd 84 2wd Toyota Van Auto Country Homes Poptop Previous: 89 Mitsubishi Star Wagon (Delica) 87 Toyota Van Le (2wd) 82 VW Vanagon Diesel Camper

Okay thanks for the guidance, I'm reading through the other thread now and looking into checking the contacts tomorrow. If my starter was installed in the fall and the van was garaged for the winter, it hasn't gotten much use yet. But it did start up after a hard tapping with a bat. Do you think that means the solenoid contacts are suspect?

Thanks!

pk

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It could be. Could also be low voltage being delivered to the solenoid via the trigger circuit. 3 starters in such a short time span almost rules them out as being the problem. Can't really see the contacts being worn out either. At this point I'd want to rig up a volt meter and monitor the voltage being delivered via the trigger circuit. Check all your main cable connections, especially on the battery side. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Okay I'll take a look at the connections tomorrow and see if my friend can help me check the voltage in the trigger circuit. I realized I was thinking about my Autozone alternators that keep crapping out on me. I had the original starter until I installed the current Autozone starter in the fall so it's young but only my second.