Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manual shift issue; hard to get into gear

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Manual Cargo

Re: New Clutch Inconsistent Shift

Thank you for the reply

Called mechanic he says he followed recommendation and says it was likely kendall 75-90 .... any recommendations on that?

In the initial time after install, 1st, 3rd and reverse were resisting shift.... definitely worse off than the previously installed clutch.

Took it back for some attention and the mec pumped the clutch and it looked like he was trying to eliminate air in the lines but found non. Then he made another adjustment in the gear box and sent me on my way. Was great for a while but now it really refuses to go into 1st at times and I really have to fuss with it, which is obviously disappointing.

Before the update, the clutch pedal used to clip and make a snapping-like sound. That has gone away after new clutch and slave cylinder replacement but now 1st is so unpredictable and mediocre.

Thank you
    Last edited by mairbear; 08-21-2018 at 01:07 PM.

2. 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Reason
    no longer needed after thread merge

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

These older transmissions use "soft yellow metal parts" and some gear oil will not play nice with them. If you're using a std type gear oil, make sure it is GL-4 or GL-5 compliant. If you're using a synthetic, make sure it says it's "synchro safe" for transmissions with "soft yellow metal parts" as the synchros are particularly vulnerable to the effects of some GL-5 synthetics.

Read this thread for more information:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ch-Replacement

If it's not a gear oil induced problem, then it's likely a mistake made somewhere in the mechanical work you had done. Good luck on getting it sorted out. Tim

4. 08-22-2018, 03:10 PM

Reason
    no longer relevant after thread merge

5. 08-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Reason
    no longer relevant after thread merge

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Tim's advice is spot on and needs to be investigated
    Kendall carries a couple of variants but they all carry the following disclaimer
    Perhaps I haven't hit on the right product but I couldn't find any without the following info.

From Kendall's site
    Applications

• Service fill of conventional differentials in passenger cars and trucks
    • Top-off only of limited-slip differentials in passenger cars and light trucks (1)
    • Service fill of differentials, final drives and transfer cases in some off-highway equipment
    • Non-synchronized manual transmissions in trucks, buses and heavy equipment where the manufacturer specifies an API GL-5 or MT-1 gear oil

(1) Note: For complete drain and refill, many limited-slip differentials may require the manufacturer’s specified gear lubricant or supplemental additive. Refer to the owner’s manual for specific requirements.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    2wd

Re: Manual shift issue; hard to get into gear

I had similar issues and I adjusted the push rod of the clutch master and now shift beautiful like brand new.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Tim's advice is spot on and needs to be investigated
    Kendall carries a couple of variants but they all carry the following disclaimer
    Perhaps I haven't hit on the right product but I couldn't find any without the following info.

From Kendall's site
    Applications

• Service fill of conventional differentials in passenger cars and trucks
    • Top-off only of limited-slip differentials in passenger cars and light trucks (1)
    • Service fill of differentials, final drives and transfer cases in some off-highway equipment
    • Non-synchronized manual transmissions in trucks, buses and heavy equipment where the manufacturer specifies an API GL-5 or MT-1 gear oil

(1) Note: For complete drain and refill, many limited-slip differentials may require the manufacturer’s specified gear lubricant or supplemental additive. Refer to the owner’s manual for specific requirements.
    I found this bit of research that might be of interest. It's a study of gear oils sponsored by Amsoil:
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleSquatch View Post
    Pg 16 of the attachment on my post gets into Copper Corrosion Tests across 14 brands which I think would be relevant to what's in the syncrhos?

-Steve