Thread: questions on fluid oil capacity, dipstick, oil light

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 5 speed passenger, 88 Cargo auto

questions on fluid oil capacity, dipstick, oil light

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Van owner (5 speed, 86). When I got it, the red oil pressure light would come on often. Previous owner is someone I have a friendly relationship with, and he said it was common. So, between that and no untoward engine noise, I figured it was most likely a light error. Of course, there's always that chance it's not.

Yesterday I was googling, and came across a thread here in which someone (sorry I don't have their name at the moment) suggested a good way to test for a grounded wire (one cause of a false positive) would be to disconnect the wire from the sensor. I did so, and sure enough, the light still came on. So, a bit of a relief there. Thank you.

To my question...

I just did an oil change. I drained fully on level ground, oil warm. I used a K and N filter. In total, it seems to want to take about 3.2-3.3 quarts. I read (here also) that Toyota suggests 3.7. (I've run the engine, let the oil drain back, then checked, and also checked cold).

My dipstick does have a rather sharp bend at the very bottom. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1997 Previa. Vans owned in the past: 1993 Previa. 1993 Chevy Shorty, 1994 Ford Club Wagon Chateau, 1991 Previa

Re: New Owner - a thank you, and a question on fluid oil capacity.

This is not specific to the Toyota Van. It is true with most (if not all vehicles): I assume you have not run the engine after you added the 3.2-3.3 quarts. If the engine is not yet run, the new oil filter is still empty. So run the engine for a few minutes and check the oil level again.

Edit: Never mind. I see that you did run the engine.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Here are photos of the bend at the base of the dipstick. Normal?

Name:  20150513_170616.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  78.6 KBName:  20150513_170603.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  82.8 KB

So, how much oil does everyone's van take?

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Quote Originally Posted by NewVanOwner View Post
    Here are photos of the bend at the base of the dipstick. Normal?
    Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by NewVanOwner View Post
    So, how much oil does everyone's van take?
    The 3Y engines I'm acquainted with really enjoy their oil ... +/- 1/2 quart every 1000mi on average. The closer to a 3K oil change, the more oil those vans want (ie, they "ask" at 1200 mi, then 1000 mi, then 800 mi).

The 4Ys I have knowledge of just don't go through oil anything like the 3Ys. Even at close to 380K, my '89 4WD goes down a 1/2 quart max between oil changes (3K).

YMMV, of course.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Our vans will typically either have an oil pressure gauge (most common) or a red oil pressure idiot light (like yours). The vans with idiot lights use an oil pressure sender that is basically a ground for the idiot light. When the oil pressure hits 4 psi or more, the sender begins floating the contacts and the ground goes away. That's why you get a red light when the key is in the run position (without the engine running). As soon as you start the engine, the ground to the light goes away and the light goes off.

My 89 van had the very same problem your van has (I would get a random low oil pressure light). So I installed an oil pressure gauge only to find the pressure was fine during these events. To further troubleshoot, I completely disconnected the sending unit wire and taped it off. With it like this I still got random oil pressure lights with about the same frequency. I suspect the wire between the sender and the light was chaffed/grounding, but the intermittent nature of the issue and the way the wire was hidden in the harness made it hard to trace. I remedied the problem by running a new wire between the gauge and the sender. That was about 6 or 7 years ago & everything has been fine since.

If you run with the bigger oil filter the van will hold approx 4 quarts, but what you're seeing is close enough. Your dipstick looks normal to me. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks Gwen. Mine is a 4Y. Being into older vehicles, I tend to check oil fairly regularly. Sadly, many fine older vehicles die because an owner simply never pulls the dipstick.

I was reading that the 3 and 4Y engines are industrial forklift engines. How interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    Normal.

The 3Y engines I'm acquainted with really enjoy their oil ... +/- 1/2 quart every 1000mi on average. The closer to a 3K oil change, the more oil those vans want (ie, they "ask" at 1200 mi, then 1000 mi, then 800 mi).

The 4Ys I have knowledge of just don't go through oil anything like the 3Ys. Even at close to 380K, my '89 4WD goes down a 1/2 quart max between oil changes (3K).

YMMV, of course.

Gwen

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    My 89 van had the very same problem your van has (I would get a random low oil pressure light). So I installed an oil pressure gauge only to find the pressure was fine during these events. To further troubleshoot, I completely disconnected the sending unit wire and taped it off. With it like this I still got random oil pressure lights with about the same frequency. I suspect the wire between the sender and the light was chaffed/grounding, but the intermittent nature of the issue and the way the wire was hidden in the harness made it hard to trace. I remedied the problem by running a new wire between the gauge and the sender. That was about 6 or 7 years ago & everything has been fine since.
    If you run with the
    Thanks Tim. With my wire unplugged from the sensor the red light will go off when I start the van. After a minute or so it will come on and then go on and off. Perhaps as it warms up something is expanding slightly and causing a chaffed wire to ground.

I will likely eventually do as you did and install a manual gauge.

If you run with the bigger oil filter the van will hold approx 4 quarts, but what you're seeing is close enough. Your dipstick looks normal to me. Tim

The K&N filter (1002) isn't very large. If you were me and 3.2 quarts showed full would you just drive as is?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

As long as it reads full on the dipstick sure. I'm sure your oil filter is fine, but I like running the Toyota #15601-33021 oil filter. This will give you more filter media and slightly more oil capacity. It's the one Toyota designed to be run on the van. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks. I'll make a note of that filter and pick a few up for future use.

As long as it reads full on the dipstick sure. I'm sure your oil filter is fine, but I like running the Toyota #15601-33021 oil filter. This will give you more filter media and slightly more oil capacity. It's the one Toyota designed to be run on the van. Tim